Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  05:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Let us all remember 9--11

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:17:57 AM  Show Profile
Amen. That moment has to be frozen in everyones memory. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you learned of the attack?

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I remember vividly. I was on the phone with a friend and looked up at the television as the second plane crashed through the tower. Neither my friend or I could speak, as she had seen the same thing. We hung up and I sat there watching, not really believing what I had just seen. The television was on for the entire remainder of the day, a rarity here.
It will forever be etched in my memory.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:43:22 AM  Show Profile
I was at home in Idaho and my stepson (in Tenn) called wondering where his daddy was. He is a pilot and he was scared he got stuck somewhere. Luckily hubby had made it home and was in bed. My step son was scared cuz his mom was out camping and he didn't know who to call. I wasn't watching tv at the time.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:47:12 AM  Show Profile
I remember it every year; it is my birthday. I was at work, having a grand time for an hour before my dad called and asked if anybody had a TV in their office; he said to go look immediately. A few of my coworkers had already gathered in the office, around the tiny TV, speechless. Because Norfolk is home to the largest naval base in the world, not to mention the other armed forces stationed around, the bank closed at 11:00, so we could all get safely home. Spent the day dumbstruck on the sofa watching the reports. Husband came home from work and insisted on taking me out to dinner.. A Happy birthday, it was not. Every year since then, I have opened my eyes, and thanked God that I could see the sun, hear the birds, and feel the touch of my husband's hand, and prayed for Him to comfort all those remembering their lost loved ones. Life is a gift we open every day. Hugs to all, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I was standing up helping students when the man next to me pointed to my computer screen and we stood watching it happen. Slow motion and surreal.

Hugs to you on your birthday, Nancy. We're just extra grateful to have you here today.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:06:55 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I were on our way to work when the radio announced the second plane had crashed. We rushed in to our lab & turned the television on. The room slowly filled up as we watched with disbelief what had happened. I hope and pray that no one ever experiences a day like that again.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile
My coworker and I were just talking about this. I was at school; at the time I was a middle-school health teacher in Cleveland, OH. I had a guest speaker that day - an intern doctor from Fairview Hospital - and another teacher stopped in to ask if I knew that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I said no, and she and I went down to the teachers' lounge to watch TV, just in time to see the second plane hit. There was some sort of concern because the planes had disappeared over Cleveland airspace, so most of the tall buildings downtown were evacuated, and our school was put on lock-down. All day, parents kept coming in and taking their kids home.

The most vivid memory I have is of driving home past the neighborhood fire station, and all those firefighters out in the street with buckets and boots, collecting money. Everyone was just emptying out their wallets - not refusing, not asking for receipts, just giving freely. Scary as it was, I was very proud of the city that day.
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:35:06 AM  Show Profile
I walked into work to see the look of absolute shock on everyone in the office...I followed their gaze to the tv which had been uncharacteristically turned on and that's the first time I heard--both planes had already struck and it was most certainly an attack. Then I realized, that my husband had flown out that morning on business. Of course, he left me no flight information...I wasn't even sure where he was going! I made a hasty call to his secretary, "um, Cindy, um, do you know what flight Bill took this morning?" She had to call me back. In the meantime thankfully, my husband called to say he and a co-worker were stranded in St. Louis. They weren't even sure what happened as they cut off the CNN feed in the airport so I had to update him...the information he had was just rumors that were comming from other passengers and people in the airport. Then there's whole long story about getting them home from St. Louis. The other distinct memory I have was how quiet the skys were in abscense of plane traffic that day---except for one, freakish jet sound which crossed the sky late in the day as I was out getting the mail. I later learned it was Airforce one which was parked for a time at Offit airbase. It's like it was yesterday.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I heard about the first plane while driving to a mammogram apt. (my first one), I stopped and told myself not to cry while driving. I made a couple of calls, then while in the waiting room the 2nd plane hit..live on tv while we watched....doctors, nurses came out to watch. Nobody said anything...I think we were all in shock. The workers were so "professional" that they didn't mention it at all.
What a life changing moment. I believe now more than ever in living one day at a time and being thankful, courageous, loving, forgiving and aware that there is a Higher Power loving us no matter what and even in the worst of circumstances the best of people comes out. Humans are loving and compassionate beyond limit.
Thanks for this topic.

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I was watchin PBS with my kids when hubby called. I thought it was the end of the world. I cried and begged him to come home. The sense of heaviness, I cant even explain the feeling will never leave my heart and stomach. I think of all those who we lost, and the chain of events it caused.I thank God for everyday with my children, and try to never take anything for granted.
My kids asked me about it this morning, they are having an assembly today to remember.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
hi farmgal sisters.
There is a topic about special prayers under "Hogs and Kiches".

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  08:53:26 AM  Show Profile
I was in Calif, where we lived then, up making breakfast for my kids and after the first plane hit my sis in law called to tell me to turn on the tv..she knows me and knew I wouldn't have it on yet....and then right then the second plane hit..very surreal!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  09:34:22 AM  Show Profile
I was at work. My mom called me in tears that a plane had crashed into the twin Towers, and it was said to be an accident. Later she called me and said a second plane hit and now they say it is a terrorist attack.
I tried, at work still, to log on to CNN, but couldn`t.

When I went home by train no-one was talking about it no-one had heard yet- Remember it was 4 in the PM here, and just 9 AM in the USA.

SO when I got home, mom was flabbergasted, very sad and crying all the time. From that moment on we were glued to the tv networks to watch all the programmes.

It still is something that hurts, at least me here in the Netherlands.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  09:46:45 AM  Show Profile
just getting up getting kids ready for school. we were in CA then. we were saddened, we prayed and we watched the tv most of the day. Every year I pray and lift up those who lost family on this day. my uncle went to 75 funerals in those next few months.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Where to begin................I do so remember where I was,,,,,, it was a very frightening experience for us. My son (straight out of college) was living and working in NYC. His apartment was across the street from The Empire State Building. I was getting dressed and ready to leave for work. I was tuned in to Good Morning America as I was dressing and heard Diane Sawyer and Charlie Gibson start talking about a Plane Crashing into the World Trade Center!!! OHHH Lord the FEAR I felt was Beyond Belief! .....

I ran to the phone to call my son .... he was already at work and said he could see the smoke and soot from the windows in his office....his building had windows all around. He said it was absolutely surreal. Words CAN NOT begin to express the words for our relief that he was safe!! Our son was evacuated from his building every evening/night for several days because there were continuous Bomb Scares at the Empire State Building and every time there was one, they evacuated all the surrounding buildings. It was Extremely Frightening to Us ..... we could not get to him and he could not come to us ....planes were not flying, as I am sure you all remember.

My cousins daughter arrived at her building in extreme close proximaty to the World Trade Center, when people were throwing themselves out of the building........she turned and walked and walked over the Brooklyn Bridge in extreme shock.....she called her brother who also works in the City to tell him where she was so he could come to pick her up. She was Terrified! Yes....I do remember! and I pray ,,,,,,, "Never Again"!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  10:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Audrey I'm shocked you were able to get through on the phone. We couldn't get through to any one on the phone. :(

I remember I had just woke up not long before that. And my husband was working first shift, so had just gotten home.

I was looking for something good to watch on TV. And all were about the first plane crash, I hate bad news so kept flipping, but it was all about this plane crash. So I finally decided to go ahead and see what it was all about. Since it was a airline my husband used to work for, I called him to come in and look at this as well (I knew he would be interested). And we started saying, it's so clear and beautiful out today, how could they not miss a huge building like that. And right at that moment the second one hit. And our hearts sank.......my husband said this is no accident this, is a attack! And tried to call his mom who works near the towers but the phone lines were already all busied up. We couldn't make phone calls for days. Thankfully she was sick and stayed home from work that day.

Then my husband started smelling the smoke, and swore I was burning something. And I had to show him it was NOT me burning anything, it was the smoke from the fires of the towers. Then ash started falling all on our block. And papers, and all kinds of things rained from the sky.

The first tower fell......

Then the tv said we should be inside and windows closed. I heard grandma, and my nieces and nephews that she baby sat during the day playing outside. So we ran down the 4 flights of stairs and told them to get in the house. They shouldn't be out in the ash and soot. And grandma had no idea what was happening. She hadn't turned on the TV that morning.

Then the second tower fell.

Next thing we know the tv was out. And that was it. (TV was coming from on top of the second tower.) We didn't have tv for days. Grandma didn't get to see what happened on tv for a while.

I didn't see my husband for days. He's a city electrician. And his job was to keep the generators going. He worked for 72 hours straight at ground zero keeping the generators going, to keep the lights on for the rescue workers. He didn't eat for over 24 hours, cause he was NOT a rescue worker, and of course there was no food down there. When Red Cross was coming around with sandwiches it was only for rescue workers. I finally got a hold of him on a cell phone (amazing cause the cell phones were out too cause of the second towers collasp). And I told him he better explain to the red cross, that he was on mandatory work, and even though he may not be digging for people, he was a worker, that had to be there to help the rescuers, and he needed food too! So he ended up with one sandwich in 72 hours!

After that, we went on our belated honeymoon as scheduled and it was the least amount of people I ever seen on a airplane out of NYC!

They let us set any where we wanted on the plane. There was only like 10 other people on the flight. And we were going to Miami! (that's usually a loaded flight).

However, we got there at 4 in the morning, and didn't get through security till 9am! And our flight was for 9:15, we about didn't make it!

However, I will never forget the pilot. You will remain in your seat at all times during this flight. If you need to get up, you will push the flight attendant button, and she will evaluate if you need to get up or not. IF you get up with out asking first, the proper procedures will take place. (AKA you will be beat down!)

A month later the flights had changed completely!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  10:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Heather....yes indeed we were thankful, we got our son on his cell phone!! and I wanted to add...............Days after the attack my son said he felt people banded together to help each other in the most heartfelt ways. From the Very Worst Experience for a young person, my son is able to look back at the Best that Humanity had to offer!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:15:23 AM  Show Profile
It was really weird. I was at work and dh called and said "A plane hit the twin towers in NY". That's all he said; not hi hon or guess what or anything. So, I'm thinking he's messing with me (he likes to play jokes on the phone) and I just said "yeah?". He repeated the same thing and so I said "ok, what's the punchline?" That's when he told me it's no joke it really happened and then the second plane hit while I was talking to him. It took a few seconds for the gravity of the situation to sink in. And then I hung up and told my co-workers. We didn't have a radio or anything at work and I had to wait until I came home for lunch to see what what going on. I didn't know anybody there and had no personal ties to NYC at all, but I was in tears anyway.

Every year since we hang our flag at half staff and we have two commemorative flags that we hang out on the front porch just for this day to honor all those who were lost and all the families that lost someone.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I had just finished my first storytime of the day on the bookmobile at a little country school when the principal came out and told me perhaps I should head back to the library, as there "seemed to be some sort of national crisis".

Has anyone been to the WTC site in NYC? On my son's 8th grade class trip in May 07, we were fortunate to be given a tour by an engineer who spent 6 months after the tragedy at the site. God bless him -- he has lung damage from the particles in the air, and didn't expect to live 5 years longer. I pray for him, expecially today.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile
I was at work, an advertising firm. We had TV's in the conference room and many places at that office. I went into the confernece room to see the second plane hit and my boss was sitting there stunned. I immediately called my hubby andmy daughter at college, and then took an early lunch and went to the bank to get cash, filled my tank, and checked on my family. Who knew at that point where it was going to stop? We live in a capitol city in the state where the terrorists learned to fly their planes! I was feeling very uncertain, as were all of us, I know.

Our TV was on for days afterward, and our heartbreak just grew the more we saw and heard. I pray that something like that will never happen again.

Wow, I just went back and read some of the first-hand accounts, and your stories are amazing.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 11 2008 11:44:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Awe Goergieann, my husband has lung problems from it too. Thankfully he kept on his mask. Even though they kept telling the guys it was ok to go with out it, that the air quality was testing fine! YEAH RIGHT!!! DUH! Fires every where, all that mess, and the air is fine.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:29:09 PM  Show Profile
I was asleep. My husband was still in grad school at the time, and the semester was about to start. We had driven through the night from Rochester to Philadelphia and arrived at our dorm apartment around 3 am. Funny thing, we were very tired and we'd stopped at the Allentown rest area to sleep for a few hours. We couldn't get to sleep. My husband said he had a bad feeling, that we needed to get home (to our apartment, that is) as soon as possible. So we got back on the highway.

It was around 10 the next morning that one of our neighbors woke us up pounding on the door. She didn't tell us "A plane crashed into the WTC in NY." She said, "Terrorists are attacking major cities all along the east coast!" That got us out of bed in a hurry, all right. We thought Philadelphia was being attacked.

Then, of course, we were glued to the tv all day like everyone else. I was supposed to be my first day back at my job, and I went in at 3 as schedule, but then they closed the store at 5 and sent us home.

In the evening, we drove across town to a prayer service at a friend's church. There were candles and flags in people's windows and on the sidewalks all across the city.

A thing happened on the way that was kind of funny, but not really. We had heard rumors about people attacking convenience store clerks who might appear to be of Middle Eastern ethnicity. We had even heard rumors that the Philly city police had been called to arrest off-duty Lower Merion township police who had come into the city and started beating up store clerks. We stopped for gas that evening at a convenience store very close to our school. My husband noticed that the clerk, a young guy who might have been Indian or Pakistani, seemed very nervous. So when he came out to the car, he got a couple of large American flag stickers that someone had been handing out earlier in the day, and he took them in to the store clerk to ask if he wanted them to stick on his register or window. The poor kid was pitifully grateful. There had been such a rush on flag paraphernalia that day, you couln't find anything in stores by that point in the evening.

Sorry for the long story. It's one of those days where you remember everything.
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:34:28 PM  Show Profile
I was at home, Eastern time getting ready for Ladies Bible study. Hubby was in Florida on a trip and he came home asap. Our only son (at the time) was 3.5 and was crying.
I flew cross country 6 days later, and also have a post 9/11 baby (he's 6 now)...
I remember the news guys saying it was a small plane, and a report that a helicopter crashed into the pentagon and a lady at the bible study said "oh no, that's not true, this is all an accident" talk about denial. By the end of the day we knew, it was a direct attack.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile
We were actually pretty sure that it was an attack by terrorists as soon as we learned that the planes were civilian and not military (we wondered at first about China). We'd been following Bin Laden in the news since the USS Cole bombing. You might not know it, but the idea of using highjacked planes as weapons was not unheard of. It was discussed in my husband's undergraduate urban planning classes in the early 1990s.
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  3:41:48 PM  Show Profile
I also remember....I was on the phone with a client and the client just stopped talking and finally said for me to hold on - he was actually talking so fast that I had no idea what he was speaking about. Was not long after that we all started getting personal phone calls from our family.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where were you? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page