junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  5:42:43 PM  Show Profile
My birthday is on the 10th. That week I worked the 4 to midnight shift and I remember waking up with the tv on. Diane Sawyer and Charlie Gibson were wrapping up 'Good Morning America' then remarking about a plane hitting one of the twin tower buildings, with footage in the background. I was shocked, but I thought that it was a small private plane that hit it. Then shortly after the second plane hit the other building. My immediate reaction was...terrorism...this is war. I watched the coverage all morning...in shocked disbelief. The striking thing about that day was that it was the most beautiful early fall weather. The sky was chrystal clear, cloudless and a brilliant blue. The temperature was low 70's with no humidity. You couldn't have ordered a better day...such a huge contrast to the horror happening in NYC, Washington and Pennsylvania. I didn't see the first tower fall. I remember thinking where was the first tower?...but there was so much smoke that I thought you couldn't see it on tv. Then I saw the second tower fall and I screamed. Jogging this memory now brings up the great shock and sadness I felt that day. I went in to work later and everyone had the television on, watching all the news coverage. Not much work done that day. One of my co-workers had family that worked in one of the towers.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile
I had just walked into the living room when the TV caught my eye I stood there with a dish towel in my hands and I don't think I really comprehended what I was seeing at first. I thought a plane just had trouble and had crashed. Then I actually watched the second plane hit the building. It was just so unreal to me. Then I felt very sad and felt in my heart nothing would ever really be the same.

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  07:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I was at work. Customers were coming in with a look of disbelief on their faces, telling me what was happening. I went to the office and told my son-in-law, who thought it couldn't be much and kinda pooh-poohed it. Later, he would watch the footage with people jumping out the windows with tears rolling down his face. A terriable day for our country.
Now I am the groundskeeper for our small town cemetery and yesterday(9/11) I flew the flag at half mast and and put out the large flags I put out for Memorial Day, I don't know if anyone came up and saw them flying, but I felt better doing it.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  08:08:24 AM  Show Profile
I live on the east coast-Baltimore, Md. I was at home doing a lesson with our two boys-we homeschooled our kids. My hubby called from work to say turn on the T.V.-something is happening at the World Trade Center-a plane is involved and it looks bad. The boys and I headed upstairs, turned on the tube and watched in disbelief. We turned on the T.V. right as the second plane hit the towers. It was very upsetting. We said a prayer for everyone involved and watched a while longer.
On an upnote...my husband is now employed (has been for 5 years) by a company that is subcontracted to Bolling Airforce Base in Washington, D.C. He is a D.O.D. worker-Dept. of Defense. He's high clearence and mostly can't talk about his job. But this I do know, that where he works, the entire division was created immediately after 9-11. The sole purpose of his division-civilian and military is to keep the skies over our nation's capital and surrounding skies free from terrorists attacks. In other words, NO more planes being used a weapons. He tells me the military has stuff in place now that seem almost like science fiction for the protection of the country. I'm putting this out there not for bragging-although I'm very proud of my DH and the work he and our military do, but more as a comfort/take heart for all who know we live in a much scarier and meaner world than when we were kids.

Be well and live each day to the fullest,
Bonnie
Farmgirl#333
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  06:37:01 AM  Show Profile
I was in my office at my HS. A teacher asked if I had heard about the "crash". I went in to the classroom next door and we watched the whole thing live. I remember asking the other teacher if he thought that a plane could "accidentally" hit one of those towers. Right about then the second one came flying in. I was in shock. The tears just started coming as the towers collapsed. The building went into lock down and we immediately had to take action for our students. Many were VERY upset. Many had family in NY. We tried to keep things calm but the tv stayed on. When you were in the hall there were no students but you could hear the muffled sounds of every tv in every room. Our staff were pretty amazing. We all managed to shake off our original shock and tend to our kids. The office was non-stop phone call central. -- My husband was out of town too. I remember feeling VERY alone that night. I put both my boys in my bed.

I think the oddest feeling was getting up the next morning and having just a completely silent sky. We live w/in driving distance of several medium size airports and of course there is Detroit Metro to the south. I just remember being bone tired after watching/worrying into the night. But there was no sound. It was weird. Not even birds. The sky was clear and blue but no "trails" of people in planes traveling. Later in the day we did have a few BIG army jets fly over. That NEVER happens. We get the occasional big transport heli from the National Guard base up north but NOT fighter jets.

In a couple weeks my husbands brother ships out for Iraq.
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  08:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I was at work, and we had VP's in~~big meeting, you know the works. Usually we would play the radio, but because they were there, we had it turned off. My DH and I were separated at the time, and he called me and asked if I knew. Of course we didn't, so we turned on the radio and heard it all. There was nothing but silence the rest of the afternoon. That night, my roomie and I just watched it over and over...my DH and I reconciled that next weekend. I guess we both realized how silly we were being, when so many had lost soooo much for some maniac's ideas.

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  6:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Ole Ron and I had just started a trip in our Motorhome. We were in Valentine NE. That morning, Ron went out to unhook the utilities so we could take off for another days travel, I had the TV on and heard (kind of) what was happening. I told Ron to not unhook the cable TV or electricity and come in and watch what was going on. Then the second plane hit. Then the pentagon, then the towers started falling. Around noon we finally took off and drove for a couple of hours and stopped again at an RV park and got hooked up to electric and cable TV. Then we heard all planes were grounded. Our son was working on a job in Taywan.Sared us to death that he could not get home. We were on the cell phone all over the US trying to figure is we should come home. They closed Mount Rushmore. All we could think about was how many people were working in the Trade center and pentagon. We kept driving and stoping early to watch TV. Our 2 week trip took us 20 days because we stoped and watched TV. We carry a couple of little US Flags in the RV. We "planted" the flag every time we stopped. Everyone ask us where we got the flags. All the stores were out. We donated money everywhere we saw the Red Cross or Salvation Army.

We will never forget.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where were you? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page