Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  9:46:30 PM  Show Profile
I picked a big basket full of tomatoes, about 1/2 a big basket of peppers and 3 big baskets full of plums this afternoon. I planned to make salsa tonight...but got busy and didn't. sigh...tomorrow is another day and the tomatoes will certainly last that long! One basket of plums went to my sis in law..the others are destined to be jam..we like plum jam here..especially youngest daughter Erin. She picked almost all the ones picked today. I bet there is that many more still out there ripe and ready to pick too! They are small ones but tasty.
I will have to pick all my green tomatoes soon..there are LOTS!! But for now it looks like a few days with no frost this week so I won't have to cover them...last week we had frost days.
No more salad greens left, but one golden zuchinni plant is hanging in there and has a few that will be big enough to pick in the next few days. My pickling cukes still have blossoms...yikes...doubt they all will get ripe before the freeze..but I am crossing my fingers.
Our sunflower house has walls as tall as a 5 year old now...and the scarlet runner beans helping to make the walls have beans about 3 inches long now..yay!! Maybe enough to do some dilly beans anyhow!
I love the harvesting part of the year...onions will be next too...I have big old grapefruit size walla walla onions to pick.
I have alot of weeds too..but lets not dwell on that.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:44:23 PM  Show Profile
oh doesn't everyone have weeds..LOL but gracious girl..it sounds like you are having a very yummy harvest.
homemade salsa..ooh yummo!
and plum jam..yum.
I just canned up a bunch of pears and they were good.can't wait until we get relocated and I can get back to gardening.
have fun gal.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  04:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I lost the weed war as well. I will be glad to have the gardens plowed under this fall. Then it all looks clean again! I got tomatoes sitting on the picnic table, that need to get done today.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I did up tomatoes, okra and carrots yesterday. Today it is back to the apples. I keep picking apples and hauling them to friends in town. Still have a lot to pick. And that is just the first tree. Have another tree that is not ready yet. Next thing will be pickled jalapenos. It is raining again today so the tomatoes arn't going to ripen very good. I let half my bell peppers stay on the plant so they will turn red. I planted some yellow also but the plants didn't do well. I'll be lucky if I get many red ones. Frost is just around the corner.
Weeds?? I don't think we have those in KS. Oh, maybe that is all those plants that are growing out there with my veggies. If so, they are very healthy. Some are 4 ft tall. LOL
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow Jenny, thats some big walla walla onions. Oh and weeds, You know I think some of those weeds help my plants from burning up this year. That will be another project, pulling weeds and composting.

I got to get out and pick tomorrow , hope the rain holds off. Do some canning and drying. Theres a pear tree over at my aunts ours didn't set fruit. I will be gathering to make pear honey. My dh can eat a pint jar at one setting if I don't take it away from him.

Bellepepper, the apple trees are packed this season unlike last year when no one had fruit in our area after the heavy freeze that lasted a few days. I have a good neighbor that is letting me have all her apples

Happy Harvesting

tc linda
Farmgirl #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic harvesting today..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page