mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Any ideas of what to do with a lot of patty pans all the sudden? Has anyone frozen them? Why does all the garden come on during the fair?!?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:36:04 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to hear ideas of what do to with them too. I grow and sell all kinds of them, but to be honest, I find them watery and tasteless! I baked one last night for supper, we ate it, but can't say that it had any flavor.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
That is how it goes. For years I tried to juggle canning peaches and pears and attend our county fair with my daughter for four days while she did her 4-H animal thing. It can be frustrating. I'm wondering if they would be like zucchini when you freeze it, watery when it's thawed out. Maybe if you blanch them first. I'd look it up in a cookbook or perhaps the Ball Blue Book of canning and freezing.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  3:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have frozen patty pans. I slice them horzional, freeze them on a cookie sheet then bag them. About the only way I fix them later is battered and fried. Not bad in a stir fry.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  5:43:24 PM  Show Profile
This year they are the only squash that really produced for me. I agree with Diane that they were not very exciting, Once or twice I sauteed them in a bit of oil, garlic, and red peppers, then tossed with some vinaigrette. They were pretty good, and my toddler loved them. I have shredded a bunch and frozen them to use later for quick breads and cakes. I haven't done it before, so I can't really tell you how it will work, but I think they should be OK, much like zucchini.
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  7:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, I raise the patty pan squash and the way that we like them is to cut them in about 1 inch pieces and saute them in butter with an onion cut about the same size with some salt. Last year I made them into pickles using my bread and butter recipe. They turned out pretty good. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:43:54 AM  Show Profile
i make a casserole with them. Slices of onion, tomato and pattypan/zucchini/summer squash, layered in a pan with loads of herbs and lots of cheese, bit of salt and pepper. Can add shredded beets and/or carrots. Cook until veggies are soft and cheese is melted. we eat this all the time in the summer!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:51:15 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of patty pans. A type a squash?

Michele
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  9:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes - they are a summer squash - the look like flying saucers. Here's a picture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattypan_squash

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  10:32:56 AM  Show Profile
thanks Sherri, boy those are different looking!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmm make a puree and freeze them yummy! Then you can use them to thiken sauces and soups!
I cut a bunch up and threw them into the oven and roasted them for 30 minutes at 425F with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and a bunch of other veggies (like beets, carrots, fennel, potatoes, etc.). As soon as you take the pan out of the oven drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on the veggies (just a little), and stand back, the vinegar will bubble for a bit and then turn syrupy and sweet, make sure all the veggies get coated.
Mmmmmm makin' me hungry..... They are nice in a pan as you are roasting a chicken too they soak up those good flavors! Especially if you stuff the chicken first with onions, thyme, garlic, and lemons!! AAAAAA ok I'll stop
Ok I can't stop I would try freezing some to see how they come out, and maybe dehydrating them too- the flavor might intensify- then they can be added to soups or even pasta sauces! Oh boy I get so excited talking about food!!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  03:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I love patti pans !! I cut them up and add to huge pot for cream soups --throw in taters--zuchinni --yellow squash --onion -couple of carrots if i have them -stick of butter --salt and pepper -whatever i have laying around -then i cook them down to where there is little water . Dont drain the water it is full of vitamins. Then i puree it all in the blender . Add eough milk for the thickness i want. If you get it too thin --just add little amount of instant mashed taters --thickens it right up. You can freeze this cream soup and tastes just as good as fresh --I also like it cut up small and add onions and hamburger and fry it all together. squash beetles and rabbits ate all the squash plants this year .:(

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lots of patty-pans! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page