Page: of 217

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:03:13 PM  Show Profile
I think that until we are through the holidays we are going to see a quieter Maven-scape on the forum. Lots of people are just too swamped at work and at home. Once the seed books come in we are going to be a lot more energetic. Debating the merits of this tomato over that and discussing the nature and and visions of our gardens. I think it is mostly the approaching holidays that have us so quiet.

I can't wait until BB&B when we will all be steppin' out Maven style =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, TS! How're ya doin', girl? Just read the post where you requested a good swift kick to get you motivated. Did Annika's gentle nudge work or do I need to put my hiking boots on and send one your way?

I am so motivated to clean house and get the house in order. You two can be my accountability partners as my motivation may fade by Monday when DH goes back to work and I'm left alone in the house. Right now I am so ready to make a cozy little haven where we can settle in for the winter. DH just took the suitcase downstairs and when he came back up, said "We're done traveling!!!" The only exception is the jaunt to Baker's Seeds that we hope to make in early December but that could end up being just a day trip. It's four hours away but hubby is a road warrior. I found out that I can do more long distance driving than I realized. After we got married, he took over the vast majority of the driving on trips. But when I have a book on tape going in the car I can drive for quite a while as we discovered yesterday. I checked out The Poisonwood Bible from the library and we made it halfway through the book on the trip. We finished tape 5 today, 5 more to go.

Annika, I'm looking forward to the BB&B too. It's my #1 trip for next year. I want to go just so I can meet all of my sisters! Of course, the par-tay at TS's will be an experience I don't want to miss either!!!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Marcy, I just read your post about eating less meat when it's organic because it seems more nourishing. Robbie and I discovered the same thing when we switched. It tastes so much better and it seems like it's more satisfying even though we eat less. When I have conventional meat now (only when we eat away from home) it tastes flat, like something's missing. Duh! The same thing happened this week when we ate seafood while we were in Georgia. I took one bite of the shrimp and thought, "So this is what shrimp is supposed to taste like!" I'd forgotten. The last time we had good shrimp was when we visited the in-laws a couple of years ago. It sure didn't taste anything like the kind I get here - flavor or texture - so much better.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:35:05 PM  Show Profile
I lived on the coast for a lot of my life, in one place or another, and I miss fresh seafood a lot. I just can't get into the tasteless rubbery stuff from the market here.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I remember reading that you love the coast, Annika. Hubby and I got to go to Fort Walton Beach, Florida for our honeymoon. It was the first time I'd ever been to the ocean. I had so much fun playing in the water. We went back a few years ago when the in-laws had a timeshare there. It was right along the beach so we just walked out the back door and right on down to the ocean. Loved it! I'm still a country girl at heart and where we're at is where I want to stay, but the coast is an amazing place. And the Pacific coast, especially Washington/Oregon, is so different than the Atlantic. Both are awe-inspiring.

Robbie and I both love seafood so we could eat it for every meal, including breakfast, when we have the chance!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:55:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
Finally an opportunity to see what's going on here. Been busy cleaning my pantry out. Wow it was a mess in there! My son helped me move things around and everything is in order and I actually got to use it for it's original plan which was to be able to prepare my baked goods. Made three pies for Sunday. It is a fairly large room that we added on to the kitchen. I hope one day when there is an empty nest to use it as a breakfast nook. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for that empty nest just yet.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Dawn and Lora,
Sounds like you two are gonna have a fabulous time!!
Safe travels.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  5:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Denise! So glad to have the chance to chat with you! If we ever build on the lower land there are three things I want: a walk-in closet in our bedroom with the washer/dryer located there; a walk-in pantry; and a front porch across the whole front of the house (wrap-around would be better but we'll see). We have the site picked out. It would be near where my great-grandparents had their cabin and would look down on their milkhouse and the barn my dad built after he retired. It's always been my dream to build down there and it would be a lot more private. However, there are so many memories at this house now since we lived here with my dad for seven years we may just end up staying here and making the barn on the lower land our get-away place. Ah, dreams...................

Annika, so sorry it took me half an hour to respond to you. I didn't realize I'd gotten that caught up in copying the posts. I just forgot to check back here. Are you still around? If not, hopefully you've eaten some chicken soup and are now resting in bed. If so, sweet dreams and hope you wake up un-stuffy.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karen. I'm still quite blah about getting anything done. I did get the bead board primed, I have two apple pies in the oven and rolls and bread raising, waiting to go in the oven.
I had better kick into gear soon or it's gonna get ugly around here come Thanksgiving. I just remembered, Corinne is in France, I think.
DH and I decided to get new towels for our anniversary/christmas present. I ordered the organic cotton ones from the farm and they came today. They are really nice. I am happy with them.
The weather is supposed to be decent tomarrow, so we are going to our place in Idaho and burn the slash in the orchard area and pick a place for the house. I am impatient to be there, I am so tierd of being neither here nor there. Well gotta run, my timer should be going off any minute.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  6:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, TS! Apple pies and homemade bread and rolls? I wanna be at your house! If you could just send me the smell I would be so-o-o-o-o-o happEEEEEEEEEEEE!

What is the beadboard for? I have a 4x8 sheet in the garage waiting to be primed and painted so I can cover the tacky green wallpaper above our kitchen cabinets. When my parents built the house in the 60's I was so proud of my mom for not going with her usual neutral-because-it-goes-with-everything color scheme. Instead we had avocado and harvest gold. Avocado refrigerator. Avocado stove. Avocado washer and dryer. Avocado wallpaper in the kitchen. Avocado knobs on the laminate dark wood cabinets. Avocado carpeting in the living and dining rooms. Harvest gold flocked wallpaper in the bathroom. (Try stripping that one - we're now missing patches of the actual drywall.) Harvest gold flecks in the bathroom tile. Harvest gold streaks in the kitchen flooring. On and on ad nauseum. I've managed to replace most of it since we've been here. All of our appliances are now boring white(!), the living room floor is wood (the real stuff), the walls will eventually be mustard yellow (although a bright shade of it) in the kitchen, copper in the living room with one red-orange accent wall. Before then I need to get the house decluttered so there isn't so much to work around. Not a small feat for me. I'm a packrat of the first order. Well, I have been improving so I might be of the second order by now.

Now decent weather here tomorrow. Hubby said it's only supposed to be a high of 30 with blowing winds. It will be house-cleaning time for us. I feel inspired by all of the cleaning you mavens have done lately. Wish me well.

Aren't the towels wonderful? I ordered them awhile back along with the washcloths. We'd gotten a couple of towels when we were in a "natural" home store in Asheville, NC a couple of years ago. Still nothing like MJ's. So thick AND soft.

What is the slash? You mentioned it in an earlier post. Is it orchard-related or just a general term for overgrowth?

Don't know if you'll have a chance to read this before you're Idaho-bound but it sure was good to chat with you again.

Man, I've really missed you guys!

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 14 2008 6:11:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  6:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
slash piles are normally all the small trees and brush that is left when the timber companies get through stripping the land of all the valuable trees. On our property I call it slash, but it is just basically unwanted brush that was piled up when we had an excavater come in and clear the area where we are going to plant the orchard. About 30 years ago a fire raged through the area where our property is and whenever a fire goes through then it grows up in brush, alder brush in our area. It is dense and a real pain. we tried clearing it by hand for about 4 years and finally just spent the money and brought the excavater in and in one afternoon he made more progress than we had in 4 years. It was amazing. We have a lot of trees on our place, but compared to the rest of the area, we don't have squat. Potlatch corporation has all the land west of us. I dread the day they decide to strip the trees off of it. Lumber is low now, in fact they closed the mill in Lewiston and layed off over a hundred from the mill in St.Maries, Id so perhaps it will be a few years before they log it off. Aren't you glad you asked...laughing!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Well, I'm glad to know what slash is, not so glad about the tree situation. Do you live near St. Maries? Young Living has a lavender farm there that I'd love to visit. How did the bakery items turn out? Wonderful, probably. Maybe you shouldn't tell me so I don't drool all over my laptop.

I'm getting punchy and need to head to bed. The newsletter will be coming out tomorrow but since I want it to make sense to everyone, I'll probably put it out there later in the day. We need to pick up Gus first thing in the morning so we don't have to pay for an extra day.

To everyone I was fortunate enough to chat with this evening, thank you so much. It was so good for my heart.

To the rest of the mavens, I miss you and hopefully we'll chat soon.

Love to all and sweet dreams..............Goodnight, Ralph and Lora............Good morning, Corinne in France..............

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Good morning sweet Mavens. Happy drems to all of you.
Karen, one week to go before I am in France. then, imagine I will be 2 hours closer to ya'll because of the time difference.
Not any new news this past week but a lot of perparation for me in the house and towards my suitcases. I have to have my travelling one all organised before I leave Kuwait, with the books, seeds, quilts to be quilted and top to be assembled into quilts, the tools and notions.
I also have to hit the grocery store... if we go to Africa, I'll need to pack up on a few things that we cannot find overthere.
But then, I wish I could send you shrimps and prawns and lobsters... they are just wonderful.
Annika, take good care of yourself, humidity is not good for you, so pamper yourself this week-end, will send you healing thoughts.
Dawn and Lora, wish I were a little mouse and move quietly around you. I am sure you are just so happy to be together.
Teresa Sue and Denise and Rene and Karen, I awoke too late this morning to come chat with you.
Brenda, Amy Grace, Tina and Ruth, have missed you girls,
Will be on latter about the time you reach your computer with a cup of coffee or tea.
Have a great week-end ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  03:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corinne! What a wonderful surprise to find your post this morning! When you are in France, will you be able to post on the DOE? And how long are you staying there? (I have no room to talk about you posting on your vacation as my plans went up in smoke when we stayed with family. Family first, though.)

Gotta get the newsletter finalized. Will be back later. HHHHHUUUUUUGGGGSSSSS.........

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  03:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I am leaving next saturday first thing in the morning (1 am) and have internet access at my mom's. Will be back december 7 th is nothing dmands me back home earlier. I will be posting do not worry, will tell you everything that happens in France and will mail the promised to the Mavens.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corinne, I guess you'll be crashing at your mom's when you get there with that early start! You mentioned in another post that one of the possibilities for your family's future is to move to France. Is that where you would stay rather than returning to Canada or would you go there rather than move to Africa? Please clue me in.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Mavens!

What does everyone do for Christmas presents in your family?

Since we have a really large family (Parents, 3 sisters, me and now we all have kids and husbands) We put everyone's name in a hat and only buy one or two presents for that person. SO they get a really nice gift, instead of a ton of little cheap things.

I am going to try to stick to homemade or buy responsibly if I do buy something.

Also (sorry my entrepreneur spirit makes me) Just thought I would let you know that I posted some things in the Marketplace if you are interested. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, Alee!

Our family is small as I have no brothers or sisters and Robbie just has his one brother's family and parents. This year we're hoping to receive a gift to World Vision or heifer.org to help the hungry. We didn't talk about that during the parental visit this week as other topics were more pressing but still hoping to catch them before they buy something. We are still planning to give them gifts and I want to give as many homemade and farmgirl gifts as I can. So I will definitely be heading to the Marketplace to check out your shtuff!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
In a surprising burst of wakefulness and energy, I managed to finish the newsletter this morning. And for all the trouble I had last week, this week was truly a piece of cake (althought that's not in my eating vocabulary for awhile - see the "Maybe it's the "die" thread started by Rene).

Please read the "They say it's your birthday" topic. There is a last minute addition regarding a master list that Corinne is putting together of all of our birthdays, addresses & phone numbers (and e-mail addresses?). If you would like yours included please send her the necessary info. If you don't want any of the information sent out, please let her know that too.

Read away, mavens! As always, it's my pleasure to put it out there for you!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning/evening Mavens,
Since our family has grown the adults draw names and then fill one of the stockings tha I made for everyone. All the children have a stocking and each adult gives them two small items, so the kids have bursting stockings! John and I don't exchange gifts amoung our siblings and both our parents are dead. Oh, I guess one of my brothers who lives in Spokane does draw names and has a stocking. All our other siblings are far away and don't participate. It is fun to do the stocking and in reality you end up spending as much as if you bought one nice gift. But it is much easier to do one and is so much fun. We don't go all crazy at Christmas. The decorated tree is more the point than the presents(which are few, we do get the grandbeasties a present from gma & gpa, and I have a pickle present(small)for the grandbeast that finds the pickle on the tree).We emphasize family and time together instead of the "loot".
Bread, rolls, and pies turned out fine Karen. I knew I would need some goodies as John is on his five days off. Well, have to run, John told me he would buy me breakfast before we go work on the orchard. Oh, our place is only 18 miles sw of St Maries, Idaho. Glad to know there is a farmgirl over that way. Have a great weekend Mavens.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Nov 15 2008 08:16:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  10:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
To go along with Alee's Christmas topic, here's another one that will make you think. The main point is that if you are planning on giving gift cards this season, you may want to rethink it as so many stores are closing and the cards may not be worth anything. Check this out: http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26712

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  3:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Tina, thank you for the seeds! I looked through our pile o' mail today and there was an envelope from you with the chive seeds inside. I'm going to plant a few inside this week and save the rest for this spring in the outside garden. Finding a place to put them in the house where the cats won't get them is a challenge but I'm up to it!

And are you the Tina W. from Panama City, FL, receiving honorable mention in last year's Christmas Tree contest? The winners and honorable mentions are in the Dec/Jan MJ magazine. If so, that would be three mavens in this issue - four counting Rene. We may need to start a "can you find the maven(s) in this issue" contest for future mags!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  3:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
And Rene, what a wonderful article! So well-written that I felt like I was there with you for the interview. Great job, sista!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  5:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Karen,
yes I'm the Tina W. from Panama City.:0) and.. ..our business wilsongraphics.net is mentioned in the memory pillow tutorial.(pg. 94)
so glad you got the seeds!
happy growing!!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  06:24:19 AM  Show Profile
nanny-nanny-boo-boo! Lora and I are headed up to the Lake in the snow!!! Yep, snowing here in Ohio..... we are having so much fun...lots of laughs and yes...... there are blackmail pics of me. Be forewarned: there is not a hat in an antique mall I did not try on!!! We picked up some VERY CUTE aprons and jello molds.....at a quarter apiece!! The Maine sized bonfire did not happen because it rained (a miserable cold rain) all day yesterday. So we ate chili in the house and visited with family. Will tell more, but Lora and I gotta split! So much to do, so little time!!

Lora says hi.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page