farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  2:18:18 PM  Show Profile
My goodness Rene'! I know where to go for fruit now. lol! I'm sending good garden vibes your way so everything produces huge crops! Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  2:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Tammy... anytime, come on down and I will build you a fruit salad :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  3:44:17 PM  Show Profile
That is so funny! You need a big straw hat with fruit on it! I might just take you up on that invite one day.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  07:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens! Dont know if any of you know but in Garden Gate--hunt for bees thread we might all be interested in. After all we are Mavens!! Check it out!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is everyone's garden coming along? I have started planting mine which is nice. I can't wait till the first sprouts come up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  12:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, we haven't started planting yet - still a bit early here, the ground is chilly, but we have 5 3'by 10' beds double dug. That leaves us about 20 more that size to dig, plus 3 larger size ones for hoop houses and about 8 3' x 3' boxes on the hillside for the zukes and squash. We are in good shape really and it is starting to look like a garden rather than a thistle jungle. I am going to be so strong. My husband digs down a shovel depth, then I use the spading fork and go down another depth to loosen it, we are getting our routine down so it goes pretty quick.
Also most of my pepper and tomato starts are going to town indoors.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great Amy Grace! I have been digging the garden over row by row right before I plant. It looks like my peas and beans should be coming up soon! I am getting excited to plant my carrots and radishes. The radishes sprout really quickly and have such a fast harvest date- they might become my favorite garden veg!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile
I know - the radishes are extremely gratifying. I like beans for that same reason - you can almost see them growing:). My husband just drove into town to pick up our two oldest boys for some extra backs and arms today, hoping we get a lot done!! I need to take a trip to the dump and if the garden gets enough attention today I might be able to do that tomorrow.
Countdown to chickens - 8 days till hatch date:D
Amy Grace
Alee - when does your semester finish?

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ooo I wish I was brave enough to ask my land lords to let me have chickens. Maybe next year once they see we are good people!

My semester is done this month- the 28th is the last day for most of my classes.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  2:20:38 PM  Show Profile
That's really early, how cool Alee. You aren't going to try to do summer school are you? I did it a few years and always had a hard time staying indoors when the garden was calling
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  2:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I have one class, but it is online so I can do it in the evenings. I am also going to be getting a job this summer so I can afford to stable and care for my horse for the next year :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  8:08:22 PM  Show Profile
It helps to have a concrete goal, if you have to have a summer job you know it is so you can have a horse. I had one horrible summer where I was trying to finish my Pacific NW history class online in time to get my teaching certificate, plus working full time, plus I had just finished student teaching and I really almost lost it. Made it through, but I have to say the garden suffered for it:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  8:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Amy Grace! That was a busy summer! This one is going to be a doozy for me as well. I have a month to get what is normally a 4 month long class done, I need to prep for farm fair, get a full time job, go to farm fair and then when I get back if I can manage it, there is a farmers market here in town every Saturday that I want to be a vendor at. Plus I still want to be a good mom and have my garden!

Although I am starting to have doubts about whether my garden will even sprout. Nora flooded my garden right after planting so the soil was all soft. This morning I could see most of my seeds were uncoverd. SO I did my best to cover them up. Here's hoping some sprout at least!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  06:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens,

Progressing here as well, almost have my raspberries cleaned out, then on to the garden, yea!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue- Do you get a lot of raspberries out of your bushes? I am thinking of planting raspberries and black berries in our alley along the fence line. That way Nora won't get all stickered up but we can still enjoy yummy berries!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:05:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh I do love raspberries!! My grandpa and grandma had a huge garden at their house in Kirkland (Seattle suburb) and grew most of their food and the raspberry patch was my favorite part. She would send us grandkids out to pick raspberries for dessert mid-afternoon, which was a perfect time for a snack of just-picked raspberries. I still tend to eat almost as many as I pick:)
Alee - how old is Nora now? Sounds like she is really trying to "help" with the garden. I wish I had been more patient and resourceful when my son was that age - I missed out on a lot of shared experiences I think.
Teresa Sue - I'm so glad to hear from you!!! Do you still want to try to get together? I can be flexible with days off and hours to a certain extent.
Hope to talk to you both later
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Corinne and Marcy Jo for the seeds!!!!!! You are the bestest, lol!

Yes, Alee, some years I get so many berries, that I am sick of them, lol! One year I quit counting after 20 gallons.

Yes, Amy Grace I do want to get together.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  12:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mavens!

Sorry I've been MIA. Just too darn busy lately - but spending as much time as possible digging in the dirt.

Caught my neighbor's cat getting ready to leave me a present in my flowerbed - and I don't think he was trying to help me fertilize out of the goodness of his little heart. That cat is evil. Of course he dug up all my little teeny tiny baby seedlings in that section. *grrrrr* Thinking I might throw some chickenwire over the whole bed till they get a little bigger. Don't even have true leaves yet.

Teresa Sue, that's a whole lotta berries! I'd love to have a raspberry patch but I can see how you'd get tired of them. :)

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amanda - good to see you!!
Well I got 4 wheelbarrowfuls of compost pile moved, two huge thistles cut down, a bunch of weeds covered, 3 bags of compost and 10 bags of topsoil hauled and decided to take a break. I'm not very good at shoveling right now although I must say the muscles in my stomach and sides feel a lot more in shape than they did a week ago. So I'm working on an apron, will probably return to the gardening as soon as my gardening clothes are out of the dryer. Once I get thistle residue in my clothes I have to wash them or itch all day long.
I'll probably re-pot my seedlings tonight, I think it's time
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace- She just turned two so she really likes to help. Unfortunatly her help is often digging up the seeds I just planted. So I figured out that if I dig a furrow and give her a handful of seeds at a time she will plant them in the right area...even if it is a huge clump of seeds all at once! LOL I just need to remember to make sure they are nice and covered up for any "extra" watering! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:55:29 PM  Show Profile
hey gals, sorry have been mia too quite a bit lately..realtors walk throughs happening today and hopefully by the end of the week we will have chosen a realtor to use.this has been a wee bit nerve wracking, but we are getting closer and closer to being able to relocate.
please send good vibes..as I have been a bit anxious and stressed lately about this whole thing.
So very much miss gardening..but the yard looks great..blanket flowers in the cottage garden are blooming like crazy and the grass looks lush and green, a gorgeous sunny day today..my house is spotless..ha.
Have been looking online at the types of flower seeds I'd like to grow in the new yard..been planning my "dream garden".:0) I found a place online in Gainesville, FL area that specializes in herb plants and heirloom/antique roses...so I know I'll have a source down there for heirloom roses. I also found out that blue birds are a common back yard visitor in the Ocala area too....yay!
Of course we are hoping and crossing our fingers and toes that the house sells within 30-90 days after listing.
Oh that would be so amazingly wonderful!
Anyhow..another realtor headed my way in 5 minutes for a walk through so talk to you all later.
hugs, Tina

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh good luck Tina - hope everything works for you guys to sell/move etc in the timeline you need. I will be sending positive thoughts for sure!!
Ah, the independent 2 year old, sounds like you found a solution:D She sounds like Randy was at her age - wanting projects!! He was lucky to spend lots of time with his grandpa building stuff since we were living in apartments without any projects to do.

Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My backyard and garden are coming along too. Most of you may recall that we filled in a swimming pool last year that required 22 loads of fill dirt and 10 of top soil. That space has now become home to some lawn and 5 planter boxes. Around the perimeter of the yard we planted raspberries (from Tom's parents farm), black berries, blue berries, a gooseberry plant and of course our grapes. We have an 8'X16' plot of strawberries and rhurbarb. My youngest son Matthew talked me into picking up 2 hardy Kiwi plants and a fig.. So they are going in as well. And our little apricot tree looks "happy" that he didnt have to move again this year (1st time in 3 years). I have 3 yards of Organic top soil coming this sat to fill up the new raised beds. Oh, I also planted 72 Yellow HollyHock plants (dont ask) :),, they are along the chicken run going into the coop. I think it will be too cute when there are up. I also have lettuce in the cold frame and a patch of edible wild flowers, and a 4x4 herb garden.... SO.......what a differece a year makes. Our third son Cole graduates next May.. SO I am hoping it is all very well established next year.. this is still a building year. I also started my "potting shed".... I can't wait to have that done with all my tools in it. It was near 80 degrees here today... Yippee!!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  7:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- it sounds like your place is shaping up! I was working in the yard today and dreaming about how much nicer everything will look next year. I think I will devote a certain amount of each paycheck to plants that will make our yard shine for the years to come!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  10:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm back for a quick pop-in.

I'm totally intrigued by the backyard greenhouse if you guys have any photos. I don't have that particular issue, so I'm totally clueless there.

Theresa Sue ~ That's a large raspberry patch. I get full run of my neighbor's garden, including her much-bigger-than-mine raspberry patch this year. I'm almost a little afraid. Maybe raspberry lemonade will be canned this year, we shall see...

Amanda ~ Have you attempted forking your seedlings where the cat goes nuts? I'm not sure whether it works or not, but if you have a bunch of plastic forks hanging out, it might be worth a shot.

My garden update. Geez.
Well first, my 5.5yo got to plant a purple/yellow pansy he bought from the Tomato Lady at the garden fair last weekend. He was so excited. I'm going to have to take the kids to her place again when she opens so the 3yo can pick out his own little flower. They're so cute. Strawberries are greening up, I see a few rhubarb curls, asparagus is starting to poke through, raspberries are starting to bud, garlic sprouts are up, and hubby cut down a few trees for me to make room for 6 fruit trees.

I got about a third of my asparagus bed weeded tonight, with all the kids "helping." A corner of that is where the pansy went. Teehee. Today was a nice day, and we're supposed to have decent weather on Tues and Wed, so I've got plans.
Things that need done are finishing weeding the asparagus bed, then throwing down some compost and figuring out a mulch because I hate weeding (so, what do you use to mulch asparagus?).
Weed the blueberry and blackberry beds, mulch. I've got two bags of pine needles, and more from a friend in a week or two if/when I get over there to rake 'em up to mulch those.
Weed the other asparagus and random bed. Compost on the asparagus.
Dig holes to plant the fruit trees - Red Gold Nectarine, Intrepid (or Reliance? I forget) Peach, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, a 4-in-1 apple (Honeygold, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala), Lambert Cherry. I like fruit.
And transplant all my seedlings that are down in the pantry into individual pots. They're starting to get really crowded down there. The kids will have fun digging though. I can wait until it's messy outside for that, and just do that in the garage with the kids riding bikes around me.
Then lastly, while it's raining, we're going to paint rocks red. Rocks from the yard (endless supply!), some paint of some sort from Michael's. The kids get to paint the rocks for a fun indoor activity, and we'll try tricking the birds with 'em in the strawberry patch. So hopefully the birds will have pecked/attempted to eat all they want long before the strawberries actually ripen. If nothing else, we'll have the cutest rocks in the neighborhood.

Then next week as the weather allows...
Get cattle panels here somehow.
Get the icky trees all turned to sawdust so I can have hubby put in the cattle panel trellises for beans/peas.
Prune the apple trees.
Prune the lilac "bushes."
Finish chopping down the other icky tree.
And maybe even plant beans/peas if I feel the time is right. We shall see.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page