soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  08:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Kelley - WOO HOO! and AMEN! We didn't have a real garden until 2 years ago, and I'll tell you, some of the best memories I have of spending time with my 2 kiddos have been planning of, and working on and in our garden. This year, these 2 kiddos (who are almost 10 and almost 12) have become very vocal advocates of eating local and seed saving/heirloom gardening. I think because kids don't have all that junk on their minds like adults do, they just "get it" so much easier. And mine do, and now yours do. It's so exciting! So give yourself a well deserved pat on the back, Mom, because you did something right!

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  09:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Lillian -so good to hear from you and how nice of you to think of Annabelle:)
That is certainly something to think about. This time I think she just noticed Friday that DS was gone - even though he had been gone since the previous Friday - and started pacing the house and howling (ever heard a Basset howl? sounds like a water buffalo in heat, oh wait she's doing it right now - doesn't like bluegrass I guess)
She has done this before - one weekend DH and all the boys went to help build a house, they were gone two days, she got up in the middle of the night on the 3rd day, noticed everyone was gone and got upset, paced the house howling for the rest of the night.
It is sunny here, I just wish the darn snow would melt and the ground would dry out so I can actually do something, oh well, soon I guess
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, you brought tears to my eyes. Way to go Mom!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey you guys - we might hit 300 pages today!!!!!! Who woulda thunk it back in September, of course I signed up on day 3 and there were already 7 pages then so we should have seen it coming
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Kelley! It does have to start with us trying to save as much seed as possible from whatever we grow and teaching others from the ground up that this is important for us, our children and our future, not to mention our planet. I might be a bit hippy-dippy, but I am serious about saving our heritage and protecting out heirlooms. So glad to see all of the interest in Heirlooms and biodiversity =)

I'm Still waiting for news from the doctors on the results from my dad's test. I so hope that he doesn't have lung cancer.

Hello to all of my dear Maven sisters and a big hug to you all as well.
Corinne ~ I hope that you are excited to be going back to France, hope things are looking up for you and your husband.
AG ~ We have an elderly half basset and she can howl to make the hair raise on your nape...it is a really mournful sound. I'm sorry that Annabelle is so distressed, poor dog!

Soon there will be spring weather enough to go play in the mud, unless it snows us up until April again. Looking forward to planting and having a garden. I hope that the farm has enough water for it this year. Late summer is always low water time here.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  10:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Lora: before I forget, Buckeye Chickens looking like the end of May. Maybe the 11 or 18th?

Your chicks are set to hatch on Mar 9. I will keep them in the brooder until you can make it here.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile
Kelley ~ How fun! My kids can't track animals (least, not yet), but my 5yo sure knows his plants. He knows tomato, potato, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, huckleberry, cucumber, zucchini, pea, bean, asparagus, grape, garlic, onion, lettuce, carrot, etc. plants just from our yard. Considering I didn't even know what potato or garlic or asparagus plants looked like until the last few years, he's already ahead of me. Heck, I planted my first ten asparagus crowns upside down last year - luckily I figured out my mistake within an hour of the initial planting, but still. This year he wants a corn and sunflower garden, so he helped me order sunflowers and I got a boatload of corn (not entirely on purpose, they just only had the 1/2lb increment of Yukon corn in stock). Both boys sure like to dig though...

I think I have some amusing photos of my younger boy (he'll be 3yo in May) eating dirt last year and the year before, digging, etc. Seeing the kiddo eat dirt kinda freaked hubby out, but my thought when I saw it? Was "oh man, he's creating more laundry for me!" because he had dirt and mud all over his clothes (I try to get a few wearings out of clothes before washing, no matter what age) rather than "eww, he's eating dirt!" Last year he was actually a better raspberry picker than my 5yo who was/is in whining mode.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Kelly that's a great story about the kids!

Who's Mildred? Just curious, that's my dog's name.

When is SF again? Starting to run short of vacation time at work, which stinks since the BF is moving to California and I will soon find myself in a long distance relationship for at least a year...

Lanna - love it ! Laundry! So true.

Ordered the last of my seeds this morning. Now on to playing around with dirt. Today we're finally making the "Mel's Mix" for my square foot garden.

Also have the BF constructing me something to hang aprons and canvas shopping bags on for my kitchen door. Got some vintage spigot knobs of various colors and shapes (from garden hose - i don't know what they're actually called) and attaching them to an old piece of wood. :D

Happy day, y'all! I will mostly be outside so may check back later.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens,

So good to hear all your "voices". Hi Amy Grace and Annika, Cheryl, Dawn, Ann, Amanda, Lanna, Corinne. We have quite a variety of Mavens, don't we!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I forgot to tell y'all, we are probably going to be moving to Cheney in two years instead of Idaho.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Lanna, that is sooo funny, and I'm the same way about the laundry issue!!! andyeah, my kids eat dirt, grass, you name it!!
Annika, i know that i'm new here, but you and your family are in my thougts! hope your father starts feeling better very soon!
Dawn, I'm sorry, didn't mean to make you cry...lol...bu it's true, it all just really had a huge impact on me this morning!
Amy Grace, I'm sorry to hear about your dog! I hope she starts to calm soon, I know it can be stressful for you
Ann, thanks! I guess my kids are pretty lucky! i love that we have been able to expose them to gardening, country life, camping in tipis, vacation in the mountains, tracking wildlife, etc, since birth! My parents did the same with my sister and I, except my parents neverhad a garden, but my mothers parents did, and we would spend summers with them in the garden! think kids need this kind of stuff!
Lillian- i think I'd giggle and probably love it if my kid were to ever call me a redneck hippie!...lol...I think thats funny!
Cheryl- I'm so so happy about Gail, glad you are too, sounds like so much fun!
Corinne, thank you, I believe that for the sake of everyone, not just my two babes, I should do this! I think Heirlooms are a benefit to not just our families, but also our community and our country, and the least we can do for all of our anscestors before us, is to keep (or try our hardest to) fruits and vegetables and heritage breed farm animals that they either brought here from another country or were already here, alive and growing! I mean, when you really think about it, they HAD to do it out of neccesity, because these things were all they had! We should be so lucky that the heirlooms that are still around, wether it be animal or vegetable, are able to be taken care of and passed on to future generations, unlike all the ones that have gone by the wayside and are lost forever due to these last 5, 6 or 7 decades of government involvement, changing times, fads, what have you. Any of that make sense?....lol....Ok, I'll quit babbling! i have chores to do anyways!
P.s...Dawn..still trying to get in touch with friend about the shirts, will let ya know as soon as I find anything out!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile
hey Amanda--Mildred McGobbleSticks is our pet turkey and she is awesome....as a matter of fact, she is soo awesome, that she has her own thread that she posts on monthly (all by herself, I taught her how) it's over on Barnyard Buddies, you should check it out, she just added another post last week!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Kelley, I very much appreciate the good thoughts for my dad and family. I think the same way with the heirlooms...they have been here and stood the tests of time, and we have a duty to pass them on and keep them alive.

TS....Cheney? are you still planning on the homesteading type thing? I haven't talked with you in forever! (heck, I haven't talked with anyone in forever, for that matter...) This sounds like a big change for you. I hope its a good change.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Yay - Annika got to check in!! We have missed you, still thinking of you and your dad and hoping for the best. And yes, there is not much like the howl of a basset - she is always high maintenance, one way or another, just every once in awhile she does something "extra-special" DS will be home today so she should calm down, it will be interesting to see if she stresses while I am gone. I have never been gone more than overnight since we got her.
It is so good to have new mavens joining and to hear from everyone.
Teresa Sue - was that the big news you spoke of yesterday??? What gives? That would be cool though because we would still be sort of neighbors - we are thinking of attending church in Cheney, long story, anyhoo
And check it out....page 300 ladies:D
Plus, it is getting close to spring.
Lanna, don't know if you tried that fondue recipe but I have another one that kids would definitely like better. We did the one I sent you on V-day and it is a little too "winey" tasting, I think
Amy Grace
Yes, redneck-hippie, that's a good one.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Amy Grace & Annika, that is the big news. At this point we aren't going to sell (like anyone's buying, anyway)our 20 acres in Idaho. Which is going to make it quite the challenge to buy something outside of Cheney, but I have faith that what needs to be provided will be. I would like to be able to find someplace that I can keep a milk cow, and of course have chickens and my spinning flock of sheep, some honeybees and other barnyard creatures. We can't leave here until the car is paid for and the 20 acres, that is exactly 2 years from this May. Hopefully that will give me enough time to find the right homestead. Which means I'm doomed to live in this drafty, cold old farmhouse for two more winters, instead of just one more, sigh.....On the bright side though, since I will be here, I've decided I'm going to get some chickens this spring and plant a bigger garden here. DH has to have more hand surgeries in Mar and April, so I don't think he would be up to much construction at the 20 acres anyway, long story, one day, maybe this summer, over a margaurita I'll tell all. At least the 20 acres can provide some raw materials for the homestead, like cedar fence posts. Another bright note, at least the Cheney area I'll be bumped up from a growing zone 3 to a 4 or 5. So....like usual, my life is unsettled at best. Starting over is always a challenge.

I was having a squash attack when I ordered from Baker Creek, hehehe, this is what I have if anyone wants a few seeds.
DELICATA WINTER SQUASH
ROUGE VIF D'ETAMPES PUMPKIN
POMME D'OR WINTER SQUASH
COLLECTIVE FARM WOMAN ASIAN MELON
SUCRINE DU BERRY WINTER SQUASH
IRAN WINTER SQUASH
MOON & STARS WATERMELON
MORTAGAGE LIFTER TOMATOE
Next year if my radishes do well this year, I can offer some heirloom seed from them.

My DH calls me his tree hugger hippie. Which I'm not really, my brothers call me, Laura Ingalls, ha, that's more me, I'm just an independent contrary indivdual who would rather do it herself that have someone do it for me.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 16 2009 2:22:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:08:06 PM  Show Profile
oh, oh, oh, theresa sue!!! I would absolutely love some of the collective farm woman asian melon, mortgage lifter tomatoe and the rouge vif d'etampes pumpkin if you could spare some, not alot, just a few of each!!! I posted over on garden gate a while back a list of things i wanted to know if anyone had grown before, they were all baker creek seed items, and they have been on my wish list for 2 years, the collective frm woman asian melon and the sucrine du berry winter squash was another.....have you ever grown any of these? Anywhoo....if you have just a couple of seeds each I would SOOOOOOOOOOOO appriciate some....do you want something in return??? if so, please let me know!!!!! thanks bunches.....kelley
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Consider it done Kelley. I should have your address through Corinnes consistent efforts to keep up on all of us. I grew the mortgage lifters last year and was very, very impressed. In fact, four of the the tomatoe plants I ordered from Seed Savers this year are mortgage lifters. You have to understand what a bad year we had here last year for gardens and the fact I actually got tomatoes at all was a miracle. I even took the green ones off the vine when the frost was coming and I had tomatoes till the first of December. They even look like tomatoes should, they are not a round ball!LOL What I want in return is for you to pass seed to someone else when you can ;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:49:33 PM  Show Profile
TS- I would like info on your property in Idaho, if you wouldn't mind.

Lillian

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I sent you an email Lillian.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening mavens!

Wow we are on page 300. I looked it up and I am in planting zone 6A. Now can anyone tell me a good site for what that means?

Annika~so glad to hear from you. Thinking of your dad and your family through this rough time.

Kelley~beautiful story. My kids are older~my son enjoys watching things grow in the garden and working with me. He's 11. My daughter is too high tech for this simple living stuff. I think she'll know later in life that there's a good reason for why I did the things I did. She's 15.

Teresa Sue~I am hoping that you are able to get just what you want for your homestead. Praying that all goes well with hubby's surgeries. Make some quilts to keep you warm in that drafty farm house. Some quilted skirts would be nice.

Dawn~Did you get my email?

I am reading the Seed Starter's Handbook and it's great. I think I am going to buy this book. I just finished Made from Scratch-Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich. I liked it. I wrote down some tips I learned. I would love to have angora rabbits.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Teresa, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Oh, you Know I will pass the seed on!!!!! I'm so excited!!! thank you so much!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
*Grin*, no problem. I will send them out later this week when I post Corinne's package, okay?

Thank you Ruth, I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers I can get!

Dawn your hair looks cute!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 16 2009 3:38:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  4:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Ruth I have the Made from Scratch-Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life book on hold at the library - just waiting for it to come in! And waiting, and waiting... Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Kelley, my dog is Mildred Potter Puppydog. She needed a full name for when discipline is called for. I don't think she would know what to think of Mildred McGobbleSticks!

I might like to go to Spring Fling, so we could sure carpool.

Could I invite my best friend from back home (Leetonia, Ohio) to meet us there? I will have to tell her about the Farmgirls, though she doesn't get online all that much.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:12:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Lilly

TS- I would like info on your property in Idaho, if you wouldn't mind.

Ditto this. If for nothing else, so I can on my keyboard.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm over at the chat if anyone wants to join me. I accidentally forgot until 8:30 oops.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page