Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Hello Dear Mavens
Sorry that I missed chat, my father was going through surgery yesterday (he came through fine). And then Andrew had to work way late and I was getting him a late,late supper.

Corinne,I wish very much that I could come and help you with the sewing room. I miss chatting with you, sorry I wasn't here last night.my cold is getting better, now it is just an annoying head cold , Thank you for asking.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  07:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I think I have to make an executive decision here. I need to wean myself off the computer again. I have ramblings in my head that need to be written, poems that are forming, and of course, craftiness begging for release. Will anyone be offended if i disappear for a few days? I will ghost in and out, but my presence is needed in other areas of my life right now. I love you girls and will check in, in a few days!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  07:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
I am still here, I didn't take the time to post yesterday morning because I was going to be around for maven chat time. Guess what- I completely forgot! We have been busy-busy here just with everyday life, plus the holiday stuff.

Finally my canning is all done for the season!!! On Sunday I made and canned cranberry sauce for the year. Phew-I thought canning season would never end this year, but that is a good thing. As I am saying this I am also thinking about whipping up a batch of Habanero Jam, so maybe I am not done!

My new wood/cook stove has been installed in the kitchen. A big woo-hoo for that!! It has made a big difference on that end of the house. Our house is "L" shaped and the heat from the wood stove in the living room only travled so far. Thus my kitchen was very cold in the winter. Now not only will I have heat, but I can cook on it too! Sunday I baked a loaf of bread in it. It was Wonderful!

Lora and Dawn- Sounds like you had more fun than should be allowed, wish I was there!

Karen, Denise and Annika- I haven't forgoten about your seeds. They are being sent out today, let me know when you get them.

Annika, I had that cold twice in three weeks and was miserable both times. Take care of yourself.

Corrine- I sent you my address about a month ago, if you can't find it let me know and I'll send it again.

Ok Girls- off to start my day. Talk to you later.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  07:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Morning, Ralph. Take all the time you need. Let those creative juice flow, QMD. We'll be here waiting when you resurface.

Annika, so sorry to hear about your father's surgery. I think I knew about this but forgot in the busyness of late. Taking care of loved ones near and dear comes first. Be sure to take care of yourself too. You can't give to others from an empty cup.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  08:20:52 AM  Show Profile
Lillian, I got you address and I have every Maven's one , what I am trying to get now is everybody phone contact to add to these addresses. So we can have a complete profile for each of us with email, address, phone.
Good to see your post. Annika, my sewing room and myself would welcome you for sure, thanks for your spiritual help. Hope you get rid of this cold fat and that your dad is all fine by now.
Karen, thanks for sending me the pages where the Mavens are enlightened, waou, this is quite something.
Dawn dear, take the time to live what you have to live now, we are here and not going anywhere, just a mouse click away or an email or for the lucky ones, a phone call apart.
Love ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  08:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Mavens!!

It feels like forever since I have had a chance to post. I have been busy here trying to finish some projects. I don't like to see the huge pile of unfinished projects I have. I now have a goal to finish everything by the end of January.
I wish we could do more homemade gifts in my family but noone appreciates them and thinks of them as cheap. It really is very sad. I am making some presents for the people dh works with.
Dawn and Lora~It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and I was so happy to hear of all the fun you had. I hope that there will be some pictures soon.
Corrine~Thank you for the Christmas card. I am thinking of you as you leave for France soon. I hope you get some answers about where to head next. Enjoy the time with your mom.

Ladies~Where can I find everyone's address so I can send out Christmas cards?

Annika~Glad to hear that your dad made out well with surgery.

Teresa Sue~I am also going to finish up my Christmas maven present for Rene after Thanksgiving.

Karen~I really need to go over and read the newsletter.

It has been so busy here with homeschooling. We are trying to get alot done before the Christmas break. It gets harder when you homeschool a high schooler. I get overwhelmed with all her work sometimes. It takes me forever to read and correct everything.

I hope that you are all doing well.
Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Ruth, you have e-mail! I forwarded the list of addresses to you. So good to see a post from you. Nothing like returning from vacation and having to hit the ground running getting ready for the holidays, huh? I signed up to bring the ham for our yearly church dinner Thanksgiving dinner thinking I had a couple of weeks to gear up for it. Nope - it's this Saturday! ARGH!!! Where is the time going? I ask that every year - you'd think I'd learn. Post some pics of your projects as you get them done. I'd love to see your work.

Okay, back to getting things together for my major errand run today..........

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 18 2008 09:01:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Ruth, I've just emailed you the list.
Glad you got your card, hopefully it is the first of all the ones you will receive.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Nov 18 2008 09:05:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Ruth, Still looking for the ideal gift =) will have it sent with the card soon.
Thank you all for the well wishes for my father.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Annika dear, let us know how your father is doing and email me your cell or phone number, am starting a Maven collection hehehe
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  12:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Karen,
For some reason I didn't receive your email. I got the one from Corinne. That's weird because I've gotten emails from you before.

Annika~Anything you pick will be great I am sure. Yes, please let us know how your dad is doing.

Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  1:35:50 PM  Show Profile
hey all! like i said, i will be ghosting in and out. Was looking at Seed Savers today and they have a potato sampler for sale. Its 20lbs of all of their varieties for 67.50. Anyone interested? right now would be the time to order them for spring. Please let me know. Its a lot, but we have a lot of us.....we could get it and divide it up, and send it on.... lemme know your thoughts.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
One thing we have to consider, especially as Heirloom Mavens, if we are going to save seed from our heirlooms, we have to know if whatever we are going to save seed from, does it cross pollinate with other varieties,because if it does cross, the seed won't be true. In that case it is recommended that you only grow one variety at a time to keep your seed true.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Dawn I think it is a sampler of 8 varieties and the bummer for me is the reality check that comes along with it. They raised their prices from last year. I guess since everything else is going up in price seeds probably will too. I definatly will be saving the seeds from my garden next year!!!

Dh and I were actually talking last night about the potato sampler and if there is any way we can afford it this spring we were going to order it. So I guess that means I'm out on the sharing, but thanks for the offer.

Johnnys seeds sent me a newsletter the other day saying that their catalog will be sent right after the holidays. That is only about 5 weeks away.

By the way Dawn nice to see you pop in.

Off to cook dinner.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Yes that is very true Teresa. Especially with the squash family. It is going to be a challenge for me because I do grow so many varieties. I am actually thinking about keeping a few that I want to save seed from in the greenhouse and/or making another plot on the other side of the property to keep a few varieties "secluded".

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:37:12 PM  Show Profile
exactly Teresa. good point. that is why it is also good to know how long some of the seed is viable for. so that you can try different varieties each year.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Just to let you all know my father is resting well and will be back on his feet soon. It was a removing tough kidney stones thing along with removing some skin cancers from his leg, so he isn't feeling too good at the moment...hope that wasn't too much information and good thing my dad doesn't read this.

On the other subject that TS mentioned, you have to separate varieties well away, from each other I don't remember how far but I seem to remember over 150 feet to keep them from cross breeding...Teresa Sue, is that about it? I don't remember.

I just got the 2009 Thompson & Morgan catalogue!!!!!!! They've signed the safe seed pledge and have a lush and colourful catalogue, so you may want to order one...lots of eyecandy and a welcome first to keep me looking through it all winter long.
http://www.tmseeds.com/

How is everyone? I hope well and happy, seems like we are all checking in, where is Brenda and Marcy? I hope this means we are going to be a more chatty bunch of chicks again...I live online and love hearing what all of you are doing.

I'm trying to decide if I want to give out my phone number...I love all of you but I'm a very private person at home and am shy about giving out my number, though I would love to talk to all of you, I'm still shy about it, just weird ol' me being a wall flower again....more thinking and a cup of tea are needed.

Hugs to all of you!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Annika- I was (am) feeling the same way about my phone #, so for right now I will probably not give it out. Please don't take offense Mavens. Glad to hear your Dad is doing OK. I love looking through the T&M Catalog their flowers are so beautiful.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  4:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone! I am here I have been running ragged lately. This weekend was my youngest sons birthday and I drove through a snow storm Sunday to take them home! It's cold here and I am ready for planting weather!!!

Will someone please email me the "Maven mailing list" I would love to send out cards!!!

Corinne- Thank you for the card! It was the bright spot in my day!!

Annika- I am glad your father is resting well and pray for a speedy recovery.

Ruth-You must have a ton of patience to homeschool. If I did mine I'm afraid they would be teaching me. My oldest is taking Physics and Trig and my oldest daighter is taking Mechanics. I am so proud of them, but couldnt teach them! Good for you!!

Dawn-Sounds like you and Lora had a lot of fun!!! I too have been trying to get the gifts made and feel like I am falling behind!

What was really neat was that I was looking through the new issue(which I had to get in Michigan because Ft Wayne is tooooo slow at getting it)and found some Mavens in there!!! So exciting!!!

Want to hear a funny story? My little dog wants desparetly to help feed the other animals. So, I let her go with me Sunday. While I was busy with the lamb and rabbits miss thing snuck into the chicken coop (formerly known as Alcatraz-no one in and no one out) Well, it had been raining for at least 2-3 days and the coop was a mucky muddy mess. So was Sassy!!! She was so happy chasing those chickens--when I finally got her, she smelled ssoooooooo bad!! Lucky for me, I can hold her in one hand. So I am carrying her to the house in an out stretched hand straight to the tub!!! She stunk!! After a good scrubbing she smells presentable!! Always something in my little neck of the woods!!!

Well...off to the HenHouse!!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  5:43:00 PM  Show Profile
eewe, a dog that gets into the chicken mess really stinks! my mini schnauzer looks around the yard for the chicken droppings..I have to quickly tell him "No" yuck! chicken mess breath is NOT cool! and yep..I brush his teeth too with every bath he gets.(yeah he's a bit spoiled) If he gets into chicken stuff he gets his muzzle washed and as best I can I rinse off his teeth..not too keen on chicken stink kisses...ha.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  6:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Morning/ evening ladies.
Marcy I've emailed you.
You know, there is no pressure or obligations for you to send your phone number if you do not feel like it and I am sure nobody will think twice about it. Privacy is a tough issue and we have to be comfortable with it.
I want you to know that I never give away personal information even email, but you guessed it before I mentioned. Just wanted to read it myself on the screen.
Annika, hope your dad keeps his spirits high and that you do not worry much.
So some of my cards made it already, they must know at the Kuwait main post office that we are leaving heheeh
Everybody has one in the mail so just wait a bit and you will have it in time for Christmas.
It is sad that I cannot share the potatoes sample with you Dawn, it would have been fun.
About open pollinated vegetables, I grow usually 2 varieties only of squash or pumpkin a year, at opposite ends of the patch and in between a lot of flowers. Since I have 5 or 6 varieties, I can save seeds every few years and rotate the diversity.
Have a great afternoon or evening.

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Nov 18 2008 7:00:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the beautiful card Corinne. It was so wonderful to get it today when my spirits were low. Your words are kind, thank you.
Hugs sister!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  7:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Annika from what I'm reading about heirloom seeds, it is, really all about knowing your subject, if you have a plant that insects pollinate, they will "contaminate" other varieties even if they are far, far away, as the insects are usually very mobile. Girls, I don't think we even knew how much knowledge we were going to have to have for this gig,lol.
Lillian and Annkika if you aren't comfortable giving your number, no problem, that is your call.
Good to hear from you Marcy Jo, and Lillian you are sooooo lucky, I have a wood cook stove in my kitchen, but it's not hooked up to use. I have a regular wood stove in the kitchen that I can, in a pinch cook on. It's tricky tho.
Hi Ruth good to hear from you, and "hi" Tina, hello Dawn, and Karen, and where are you Amy Grace and Alee? Rene' it was good to talk to you for the minute I did today, sorry to bother you!
Corinne, thank you for the Christmas card, I hope to get yours sent next week. I took some pic of the grandmother's flower garden quilt blocks I'm working on and I'll get them developed Fri when I go to town for groceries cause I want to send you pics when I send your card. If I could come and help you with your sewing room I would girlfriend! I just got my sewing table cleared off yesterday, it actually has a flat surface,lol. Today I cleaned off the table my machine is on and I cleaned and oiled my machine, all ready to sew, just need the time. I have an old machine that I LOVE. It's a pre-World War Two Phaff(spelling?) from Germany. It sews like a dream. I bought it at a yard sale for $35. Well, girls, I need to go finish my dinner dishes, and take a bath so I can watch NCIS, one of the few tv shows I like. Maybe it's the eye candy, snort, giggle, giggle.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  7:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Annika dear, I will keep you in my thoughts. I hope it is all well for your father and I wish you peace of spirit.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  8:53:38 PM  Show Profile
I just talked with my dad and is already complaining *heehee* he must be feeling better.
He said that while going through my grandma's things he has come across a stash of her aprons which he is sending me, isn't that cool? I am going to be thrilled to have one of her aprons on to cook Christmas dinner in. My Grandma and I were very close and the only two non-Grinches in the family who loved Christmas. Maybe I will get carried away and wear all of the aprons at once ok maybe I'm already carried away.

TS, you are right I think we are in over our heads and we have shelves of books to read before we are going to be proficient in this art of seed saving and having the varieties come true from seed and not be mongrels. So I guess we had better get reading ladies
We have a LOT of reading to do. I know enough to know that I don't know enough LOL!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page