Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  4:50:22 PM  Show Profile
Girls help!!! I saw a mouse in my kitchen! Any natural remedies on getting rid of it or keeping it away? I know, how dumb, why not use a mouse trap you are thinking??!! However I just thought you might know a trick on keeping them away like borax etc.... We have a dog door that I am sure he thought is was open for him tooooo!! Thanks ladies! ~Tricia

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  7:14:50 PM  Show Profile
Please trap him before he goes and tells ALL of his family!! I am having visions of the movie Ratatouille.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  7:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- It's not natural but I finally had enough. I tried trapping the mice that invaded, but the day I saw one lounging on my stove- I had enough. My house is not completely laced with D-Con where the dog and Nora can't reach And luckily I have seen a huge decrease in mouse activity.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2314 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2314 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  7:28:36 PM  Show Profile
One word -- Cat.
Our place was mouse, rat, and gopher infested when we moved in. The cats had it cleared up in two months.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  8:12:32 PM  Show Profile
You can buy plug ins that send off a super high frequency sound, that will drive pests away.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
http://adventuresofowenmaxwell.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  04:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I'm with Alee. I don't like the idea of poison either. But when you think about the diseases those pesky lil guests can be packin, it kinda makes you think twice.

After my very awkward encounter with a wee mousey last week, my mom suggested I put the D-Con under my trailer. That way the poison isn't in my house for the kids and the dog to get into and chances are the mouse will not make it into the house.

Judith has the best idea of course. My only problem is I can't tolerate a litter box no matter how clean it is. The dust off the litter aggravates my allergies. I tried the sawdust kind but then it doesn't seem to absorb the smell completely.

Melanie

~blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:05:00 AM  Show Profile
I bought several of those plug ins don't waste your money! I am still seeing tons of mice! We are over ran! We had none for 8 years! Then all the sudden we are over ran, a restaurant closed down next door to us, and I have a feeling that's where they all came from!

Any way.....my mom heard peppermint oil works. The kind that is essential from the health food store. She said you have to soak cotton balls, but soak them a LOT. If you don't use enough and get the scent strong enough they won't care. But, if you make it really scented strong they will go away. She did it and she thinks it worked at her home. She lives in Kansas, I live in NYC. Do I don't know!

But, she said she put out poison too, and the poison is still there but she isn't seeing mice.

BUT, this is very limited. Cause she is bed bound, so never gets out of bed. The rest of the family lies to her about the condition of the house (I've been there seen that, the house can be a wreck and they assure her it's fine). So they could be lying about the mice too. I don't know. But, she does say she doesn't see them any more behind her bedroom door any more. Sooooo.....I dunno.

I'm gonna give it a go and see.

Don't invest in the plug ins though we bought a ton of them, and my mom did too and neither of us seen any relief!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile
I too resorted to D-Con last year. My cat catches birds and brings them in the house all summer but yawns and watches the mice run by in the winter - go figure. Our bassett caught more mice than the cat last year....so out with the D-Con. We were overrun too and if there is one thing I cannot stand it is a mouse.
We were out of town for a weekend and they moved in. I discovered this when I went to feed the dog and as I dipped the dog food bowl out of the bag I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I looked down and there was a mouse clinging to my sweater. You have never seen a cardigan come off faster and it's a good thing it was a cardigan or it would have become one. It took me weeks to settle down from that!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I would love a cat...however our neighbor has (I'm not kidding!) 13 cats, then the other neighbor has 2. So the outside world SHOULD be covered and getting a cat would cost us an extra $400 deposit and another $25 a month. :( Also unfortunatly I guess the house has been infested for some time, so they have all these tunnels running through the walls, cupboards and such. I know I killed at least one because he had a regular track across one of my cupboards and into my stove. I haven't seen any "messes" since about a week after the d-con.

The thing about the traps is that they weren't springing. The mouse was eating the bait when I baited them. When I didn't bait it, it still didn't spring!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:34:09 AM  Show Profile
I have used those sticky mouse catcher pads with peanut butter on them to catch our pesky visitors for years. They work great. They are a little cruel but the regular traps were not doing the trick and I prefer to not use d-con. Although, I would have if these didn't work. I have also been told that if you have any cracks that you know they enter through you can stuff them with steel wool to deter them. My Mom used to do that around the old window frames when I was growing up.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Trica- I agree with Heather don't waste your money on the plug in things, they don't work! We have tons of mice here, but because of the wild life and pets we try not to use poison. The best mouse traps I have found are by victor and the whole top clamps down. Any way have you tried putting the peanut butter on the under part of the trigger? That way the mouse has to really get into the trap and that usually works.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, we have the sticky things too. And ours are super smart! They won't get on them, we have them every where!

My husband recently bought a electric one. It kills them with electricity as soon as they pass the threshold, but so far none have ventured in there! Grrr.

I'm going to still try the pepermint. Mean time I still have all those plug in things plugged in and they are having a party in here! lol I have 2 in each room plugged in! lol

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 09 2008 09:28:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
One of the homes I lived in some years back had mice really bad. Alee, I had the same problem. The mice had all kinda of nooks and crannies in the house. I went around the house and everywhere I found a whole a mouse could get into, I pushed some d-con into the hole and then pushed a piece of old rag into the whole. Some of the holes got siliconed or caulked shut too. I noticed a huge decreas in our mouse population in a week and a half.

Melanie

~blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Girls you are all sooo helpful! My mom also suggested a cat, however with three labs it would be even crazier then it already is inside my home! It is the darn pet door that my dogs use to go in and out of! (Created by these two hands by kicking out the bottom part of a metal screen door!) Anyways, I will use probably the old mouse trap with a piece of food but, I hate the sound of it going off! SNAP!!!!!
~Till then! Tricia

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  5:47:24 PM  Show Profile
My problem with D-con, is what happens to the mouse who died after eating it? Does it sit there under the cupord or in the wall to get smelly and rot? And what if the mouse got outside and then died and a cat got ahold of it? Will it hurt the cat?

I have used posion before but that was before we had pets and kids. For awhile my barn cats left, then I noticed the mice getting here in the house. Now I have 4 kittens and they are getting old enough to hunt. But last fall, I had a mouse get in and was trapped under the cupord and is still there and still stinks! It is the grossests thing and so emabarrising when I have people over. I cook for guys and I hate for them to think the stench is my cooking! ha.

But I have one in here now... I'm tempted to put the posion under the cabinet, next to the one already dead, and hope that gets rid of them for good!

I also 2nd the steel wool. Use it on any holes, cracks, crannies... they won't chew through it so they can't get in.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wish I could use the steel wool trick. There are so many holes, I would have to wrap my whole foundation in steel wool...from the inside!

Yes, the mouse goes of and dies and then rots wherever he dies. I was lucky enough to not have any die inside the house. I think the neighbor cat got two because at about the right time the neighbor said he kept "catching" these mice, eating them, then throwing up. I felt bad, but he is fine and mice aren't climbing around in my cupboard anymore. Ick....

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:35:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad the cat just threw up.

It can and has killed some cats before from eating mice that are poisoned.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  7:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree. I would have felt horrible if a kitty had died, however I had found mouse droppings in Nora's room and had seen in on our stove. I had tried the sticky traps and the snap traps and the electronic deterrents to no avail. I have heard that mice can learn to avoid traps. The D-Con was the last ditch effort before pay an astronomical fee for Orkin to come in and do their thing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  8:44:18 PM  Show Profile
I have two inside fat cats! A mouse would be too much work for them!!!! Last winter, there was a mouse in our bedroom. Gross! There was no way I could fall asleep knowing that critter was in the same room with me. My hubby got a small box, cut a hole on each end of the box, and put a piece of cheese and a pecan on a mouse trip. Taped the box closed. Around 2 AM, I heard a loud commotion coming from the box, then silence. No more mouse! And, no mess. Hubby just took the box out and put it in the garbage can.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Okay...lately it seems as if I have a comment on everything around here! I am not a busy body, just someone thats led a full life I suppose! At teh hatchery where I still work on wknds, we have a feed drive thru. Int eh drive thru there are 1 1/2 inch round pvc pipes that are hooked together to form an upside-down "T". So you'd drill a hole, with a hole saw bit in one pipe and stick the other pipe in it to form a T. Does that make sense? NOw turn it upside down so that the bar (t-part) in on the ground, and the leg is up in the air. The center pipe (leg) is where we dump the mouse bait...poison....whatever in and it sits in the center of the botoom pipe. Cats/Dogs and children cannot get in to it, but mice/rats can. Its the greatest invention ever and I wish I thought of it first! We now have one in our barn.

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  06:43:30 AM  Show Profile
That is a VERY good idea Dawn!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn- Can you take a picture? I think I have an idea of what you are talking about but not quite sure. What a great idea!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Sure can, I have ANOTHER doc appt here in a few, so I will write later.... and try to post a pic or find a pic online....

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Alee, be sure that I don't blame you.

You have convinced me to finally go and get some poison.

We've had them for a year now, and I can't stand it! There was droppings in Lela's bed when we got back from vacation this summer. I hated that. But, I check daily now and haven't seen them since.

At the same time I am sick of the mice and have tried absolutely every thing but the peppermint oil, and I am tired of throwing good money after bad on these things. And we have no pets......so it's worth a shot!

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  3:54:23 PM  Show Profile
A while back, I had a mouse in my house. I would put the bird seed bags uncovered in my storage closet. Lo and behold, I found little mouse droppings around the storage door, and when I went in the closet, my suspicions were correct! The mouse ate through the bag and there was seed all over... I don't like to kill things, so I bought a couple of humane mouse traps at Home Depot. After I cleaned out the closet and mess, I made sure to put the seed in a metal container. The traps did work. They were little boxes that had an end door that opened up, and you would put food (I used peanut butter on a cracker and a raisin) in there. The next morning, the door was closed and I caught the mouse. I took it to a wooded area and released it. I also used steel wool to tuck inside any little nooks or holes around the base board of the closet. I haven't had a problem since then. Just make sure to do something as soon as possible, as his 'little buddies' will join him. :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Sep 13 2008 4:08:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic MOUSE!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page