Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How long is your wash cycle? Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  09:33:22 AM  Show Profile
When I do a "normal" load of wash, it seems that my washer works for an awfully long time..almost an hour! When I do a "quick wash" setting, I can set it for "heavy soil" and it washes for about 30 minutes... I'm not noticing a huge difference in "clean". If I can wash for 30 minutes, I'd much rather. I can also set my washer for a soak or extra rinse which also adds time, if necessary....

What about you?

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  09:57:30 AM  Show Profile
If I do the normal cycle it takes a LONG time too. But with the extra speed one it takes about 30 minutes. And just as clean as the longer one, so always do the 30 mins.
And have the same options as you do, extra rinse etc.
I hardly use that one, since I never have dirty laundry. I live alone (well, with Elvis :D) and never have the dirty things, so ....

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mine takes about 40 minutes. It's an older style Maytag so I have less options, but I can change how long I let it agitate for.

I think it's great that you can choose faster cycles for your clothes! Less wear and tear on your clothes and less electricity used!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Well....I used to think my old Maytags were 30-45 minutes but these new frontloaders I have actually display the time and a regular load is 54 minutes wash time and a heavy load is 71! Thank God I don't have a passel of kids anymore or I would never be able to keep up! I think 54 minutes is a long time and Marian...I live alone too but in the summer I am a DIRTY gardener and it is so hot down here I sweat even in the air conditioning! LOL! Come winter though when I stay "cleaner" I may opt to use that quick wash which is 30 minutes.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:58:11 PM  Show Profile
I've got a very basic Sears Kenmore, and I've honestly never looked for special features. It has a "short" wash and a "long wash". I think the short is about 25 minutes and the long is more like 40. I tend to use the short, just because that's usually where the dial lands, and my clothes seem clean enough to me. I wonder why all washing machines seem to have the longer time option if it doesn't do anything? Maybe it used to be important and the manufacturers keep that feature because it's expected.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  05:38:07 AM  Show Profile
I've never used this but....if I use the "heavy duty" cycle with all the bells/whistles...xtend spin, xtra rinse, soak...that load would take 75 minutes!!!!!

Thanks ladies for all the input. I'll be thinking more carefully about what I'm putting in the wash and checking that time more often!! BTW...loving the homemade laundry soap! AND, the vinegar rinse. Also passed that recipe and tidbit about the vinegar to the neighbors who love it as well!!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  6:00:56 PM  Show Profile
The new ones run that much longer??? It doesn't seem very energy efficient to me. I have a washer thats about 28 years old and it takes about 40 minutes for the heavy wash cycle.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  05:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I have a front loader that sounds exactly like yours. Except the timer is not accurate! The 54 minute wash actually takes an hour and 10 minutes. The 71 minute wash takes 90 minutes. I'm not usually in a hurry, the laundry still gets done either way. If I know I want something for the morning, I'll load the washer before I go to bed and dry them in the morning. Or, if I'm more thoughtful, I'll start the load when I get home from work and have it in the dryer by bedtime.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How long is your wash cycle? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page