mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  07:52:28 AM  Show Profile
This is an unusual situation I find myself in. As I may have mentioned, my son has sold the house that he bought from my mom when she went into care. When they first moved in, I went through and gathered a lot of her things and distributed them to my kids, took stuff to Goodwill and the dump. Mom was a collector. Well, now, EVERYTHING had to be cleaned out, because the house was sold to someone outside the family. I had no choice but to bring boxes of this stuff home - I also took a lot to the dump. What I brought home is mostly dishes - Blue Willow mostly because I took her other 2 or 4 sets to my oldest daughter last year. She had Rose Chintz china and crystal that my dad sent from Germany during WWII. DD took that. She had white Ironstone - DD took that. But now I have run upon her collection of Blue Willow in the attic. DH and I are trying to pare down in preparation for our move to the cabin in a couple of years, so I really have no place for these and some assorted other stuff. I'd feel guilty taking it to Goodwill because I know my mom treasured it and it probably has some value. Besides the people at Goodwill have been extremely rude and picky about what they take lately so I don't really want to go back there. I thought about E-bay, but I don't really think I want to risk shipping china and it looks like a big risk to list on E-bay, when you have to pay a fee whether it sells or not. Do you have any ideas of what I should do with this stuff?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Could you hold an estate sale? I know the prices would not be as high as on eBay, but you would get something. You can charge more for items at an estate sale over the normal yard sale prices. People do expect nicer things to be in an estate sale and will be willing to pay for them. I would do a little research first and then price your items fairly so that both parties feel they have received a good deal. :)
Good luck!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  08:04:03 AM  Show Profile
I thought about that - I guess what I'm struggling with is "getting rid" of Mom's stuff. I know how she painstakingly collected this stuff and I feel bad selling it to strangers. Maybe it's just a mental block on my part, and I should just try and get over it. Another thing is I don't know if I have enough for a real "estate sale", - it's several boxes full, but maybe not enough for a sale. Maybe if I collected a bunch of our stuff that we need to pare down, the combination would be enough. I just feel bad selling her stuff while she's still alive and not able to make her own decisions.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  08:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Or maybe consignment??
That sounds like a lot of stuff to deal with Sherri - good luck!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I'd put an ad in the classifieds, or in the penny saver. Do you have an antique mall near you? Ask the manager about who there deals in china/dishes and might be interested in buying the set. I know that if I lived near you, I would be over in a flash -- my grandma had Blue Willow, and I would love to have a set of my own. I bet there's someone out there who just might feel the same.
Georgiann

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know you are hesitant to ship the things, but have you considered selling it here on the forum? I have shipped many things with Fed-Ex and if you use newspaper, bubble wrap and double box the breakables then they should be fine. And if Fed-Ex breaks something- they are really good about paying the insurance (free up to $100)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie I am interested in all your blue willow would you email me , Georgiann I made a mistake on your email

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page