Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Potatoes Next Topic  

Kit
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mechanic Falls Maine
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  06:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Kit a Yahoo! Message
Okay, possibly bizarre question. I'm a critter person, I don't know much if anything about gardens.

Keep in mind, my group has several people in it, all with different talents. The "business oriented" gal (always a good thing to have in the group, eh? ... oh, and her brother is an accountant ... very handy) wants to try this idea I found on this other list. It involves raising potatoes in trash cans, where you put the starter taters at the bottom in some dirt on top of rocks, then throw straw over them. Then as the shoots come up you keep covering with straw, eventually filling the entire can. Anyway, she wants to try this. I want to try this (I don't *THINK* I'll kill this project).

However, she wants to try it NOW. It's winter here folks. So she's thinking we can do this indoors as long as we've got a pan for water under the can. She might be right, my little used dining room faces east so it gets what sun there is. Yes/No? Maybe? Crazy to try to grow anything in winter in Maine?

We're hoping in a few years we'll have green houses, but this spring's construction project involves pens and shelter for goats, sheep, and chickens.

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  08:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Sounds like an interesting idea! And a fun one too. I do child care and that sounds like something fun to do with them! I'm interested to know if it would work too!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Potatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page