Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  06:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Or your favorite chair. The kids have always called mine the "GRAMMY CHAIR." Then there is the "POPPY COUCH". Guess that poppy couch thing is kind of universal. That hard working man needs to lay down.
My Grandma always sat in the same chair, and I remember it was always a nice secure feeling knowing she was there.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I'm looking for a NANA chair. My Grandson is coming in the next few weeks so need to find one soon.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
When my mom moved to Florida almost three years ago, she gave me my great grandmother's rocking chair. It is worn and has been repaired many times on the seat part, but I would not trade that chair for any new chair in the world. My great grandmother had it, then my grandmother, then my mom and now I have it. It holds a very special place in my small craft room. No one sits on it now except my two dolls, one day I will pass it down to one of my boys or maybe a granddaughter (not that I am there yet, as my boys are only 14--will be 15 this month and 13, lol!)But I am so honored that that chair was given to me.

Farmgirl #170

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:35:40 AM  Show Profile
It looks comfy and snuggly. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:59:16 AM  Show Profile
We have Tom's grandmother's rocking chair. On my blog, several months back, I posted a photo of the grandgirls watching tv in it. I love it, and it makes the neatest sound when you rock in it. Sort of a cracking noise, but not scary. I had the seat recovered, and had it strengthened but did nothing to the finish. It has the neatest armrests. The rest of the oak of the rocker has darkened to almost black with time, but the arm rests are still light and golden from arms keeping them polished.

I usually sit in a club chair that has an ottoman, in our livinhg room, or a straight rocker, if my back is hurting. But the kids love the club chair. They both fit while watching cartoons.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 06 2008 08:01:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  09:08:55 AM  Show Profile
I have a chair very similar to yours, but no grandchildren, so I have to make do with a kitty or two, when they are in the mood for being snuggly. There is nothing nicer than a big stuffed chair to snuggle into with a book, sewing, etc. That was nice of Jack and Dave to hunt up a button for their cousin...

It is really nice hear today, a teeny bit overcast,but it feels comfortable to me. Of course I was up most of the night trying to get comfortable enough to sleep, I should have headed for my big chair and grabbed a book, that might have helped....I can't seem to get anything accomplished at the moment, so I really appreciate everyone's blogs and posts.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  09:55:34 AM  Show Profile
I have a blue swivel rocker that I sit in all the time. I like it because it's comfy and the arms are low so that I have room to spread out when I knit. The grandkids call it Nana's chair or The Command Post.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  10:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Your Grammy chair looks so comfy! I love the idea of creating traditions for our children/grandchildren .... memories, photos, all very precious to me. Be sure to have someone take a picture of you in the chair as it will be a cherished rememberance someday for your grandes! We have photos of my Dear Mother in the chair in my home .... as well as the chair she always sat in her home where she created the most Beautiful Knitted things! Those pictures and those memories are held dear to my heart!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the stories of all these chairs! My mom has one that is from my great-great aunt Nora. It is such a sweet little wooden rocking chair, and actually very comfortable!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  10:55:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a large recliner in my bedroom that we nurse in.. it is my favorite spot

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTs2fAv/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Your Grammy chair looks so comfy! In our house it's a Mommom love seat. Just a little bigger than your chair. Oldest grandson actually told someone not long ago to move because they were sitting in Mommoms space! Gotta love those grandkids! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes Susan those little ones are very protective of the Grammy chairs. I know when all mine are here they don't want anyone to sit in it but me, unless of course they can be in there with me.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  7:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Lovely chair....so cute....the grandkids being protective of your space. They are SO precious...and LOVE the tablecoth! You are really puttin a move on that thing! And who is Cousin Bob? Where have I been? I didn't even know about him much less that he was running around missing a button. Isn't that just like Jack and Dave....I tell they have really matured this last summer! I've been too tired at night to even do needlework! Tomorrow is RnR day....I'm takin a break...maybe...but probably only if it rains. How's Richard doing? And you?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  08:20:50 AM  Show Profile
That's so sweet, and boy, does that look comfy! I need a grammy chair, that's for sure. But at our house, it would be the Mimi chair.

Georgiann

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a Grammy Chair. After reading all this maybe I should have one. I am usually sitting at the table--main headquarters, ya know--where I can hold a ittle one (or big one)or read or do anything I want. Maybe THAT is my Grammy Chair. MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  3:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Oh Mary Beth....My Grandmother didn't have a "Chair" per se.....but we have wonderful photos of her sitting at her kitchen table in her home. Maybe it is just the idea of "places" that we shared warm and happy feelings! Your sitting at the Table will probably bring cherished memories someday. I hope my grandchildren (don't have any Yet!)will have good memories of me in some special "place"!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  04:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, Thank you--I think 'special places' is a great idea. MB

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic THE GRAMMY CHAIR. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page