True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile
" I got an OKRA"
hahaha! yep, only one of my Okra plants survived and holy moly, I got "1" whole okra....lol!

Ok, what gives with the weather???
I have been reading all the different posts & it seems that clear across the country we are all experiencing un-normal harvests & weather...
I have been so spoiled for so long having lived in So California and being able to grow most anything nearly all year long. So moving to Washington was a real eye opener not to mention a challenge in gardening & boy did I make some mistakes....(with Mother Natures help)
I discovered I can't grow Artichokes(takes 6mo) up here and if I don't plant in the right direction the wind will bend my plants, especially my corn & onions...ok, next year I will be making some big changes! But first I am going out to buy a copy of the Farmers Almanac and read it from cover to cover!!!!!
Now I hear we might be getting an early frost!!! NOOOOO, I still have a ton of green tomatoes on the vine not to mention squash & zuccs & my 1 Okra!!!! lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  11:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Okra! I've heard they are very tricky to grow. Is it the leaves that are poisonous or was it that they can irritate your skin if they prick you. Anyway...the weather here in Southern California is miserable. It's too hot to do anything. I just went out to water my artichokes, and came in drenched in sweat. Hubby wants to ride the motorcycle to Laguna Beach, but it's too hot for that even. Today will be over 100, what can you do outside in that! So here I sit in the cool air conditioning feeling like a lazy loaf! My garden needs so much work.....maybe I'll get up extra early tomorrow to beat the heat. Where about in So Cal did you live?

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  2:49:30 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard poisoness, but I do know they can irritate skin, they do mine. Itchy, itchy, but I love okra! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  3:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Heather, Oh I love Okra too, steamed &/or fried,,,either is yummy to me.

Lisa, I hail from Ventura CO, I lived in Newbury Park/ Thousand Oaks & Moorpark, CA.... all 3 are wonderful communities.
As for the 100 degree weather, I am all to familiar with it as well as the Santa Ana's and fires....don't miss those, just the great gardening weather. I would go out into my garden tween 6-7am to water then head off to work and then water again in the evening after 7pm... My lavender's & Herbs did awesome! As for the artichoke, except for the ants & those little black bugs they grew great! I would just chop them down at the end of the season & coem spring they grew back, tho after the 3rd year the 'chokes were fewer & smaller.
hugz

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Or baked or pickled! lol haha I love it all! :)

I apparently was a WEIRD kid, my favorite food as a child was okra!

I still adore it, but I think my favorite now may be zucchini, and no I am not speaking of my favorite veggie, I am saying my favorite FOOD!

lol I think I may of been the only child who's favorite food was Okra! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  4:28:24 PM  Show Profile
OH ladies!

If only you could pay a visit to our garden spot!

hubby in all his infinite wisdom, planted 4 rows of okra this summer.
four VERY LOOOONG rows that requited picking every 2nd or 3rd day.

i love the stuff, but enough all ready!!

We have to suit up each time we want to pick. the pods are velvety soft, but the leavesand stems really make anybody itch. Not sure if they are toxic, just really prickly

Of okra is not picked regualrly, the pods grow too big and unsuitable for eating.

we also found out it loves it when its humid!! Skip a few days, and boy were we sorry

turns out this plant hales from Africa. So once the little plantlettes are established and located in direct sun,, there's no stoppin' 'em!

And lastly, as long as you continue to pick, flowers and pods will produce until the first hard frost.
The plants grow taller too, so when they grow above shoulder length, I give up. it's just too painful then
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  6:45:40 PM  Show Profile
You gals have me very curious....I've never had or seen okra served! Maybe I'll give it a try next year!
As a child my favorite was avacado sliced on a cracker, topped with macadamia nuts! Yes, I was a chubby kid! Now I save it for special occations!
I love it that we all hang on to comfort foods!

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  7:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Lisa, I found Okra in the frozen food section when I live in CA and couldn't find it fresh. Follow the directions for deep frying..oh my!! YUMMY!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Yeah! Congratulations on that one! Weather, I think it was too wet this year here in Connecticut and that is why there were disappointed growers in my area. What about bees? Wasn't a mold found to be killing off bees. ? Something is preventing their pollinating?

My Dad grew okra to expose us to different veggies. I loved them as a kid. Still do.
Lisa, I'm pretty sure I would love your avocado/cracker/macadamia nut combo.
I grew okra last year and had about 4. Funny! In fairness, I planted some sad looking plants very late. The bugs ate it, plus it got little sun. I thought 4 was great giving the poor plants and growing conditions.

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  9:51:32 PM  Show Profile
I adore okra and try to grow it every year too. Notice I said TRY. One year ONE!! I got enough for a big pan of fried okra. Uusually they are a miserable failure...like this year..not a one. I didn't have enough heat when I lived in Calif..but here I think the growing season isn't long enough, or I have do something different. I have tried several different varieties..none worked out better than the others. I won't give up though...I will be trying again next year. It is certainly hot enough here.
Meanwhile I buy frozen okra..and I guess I won't stop doing that..we all love it. It isn't always easy to find here though. I have to go to a store 20 miles away and I just stock up. I have to use two bags when I fry them...as a side dish. I love pickled okra too..but never ever find fresh okra to pickle. So I have to buy those too. Worth every penny. Some things are just too important to skimp on, right???
I hope we all have good okra growing luck next year..you never know!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:32:18 AM  Show Profile
I buy frozen too.

Here it's not easy to find either. Only one store sells it, and apparently it's a mexican food, cause they sell only one brand Goya (a mexican brand) and it's kept in the ethnic frozen food area! lol I didn't know okra was "ethnic". Even though, I myself AM "ethnic". I'm Mexican! lol haha Funny thing is, I never knew any other Mexican's besides myself that eat it regularly! lol So I was shocked when I moved to NYC and found it was a "ethnic" food! lol haha In Kansas it's by all the other frozen veggie, by the same companies that make all the other frozen veggies (birds eye and the like). lol Oh I believe in Kansas the brand I got was Stollwell's? Or something close to that.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 11 2008 06:32:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile
I guess okra can be called ethnic. The slaves brought it with them from Africa. The brand you bought when you were in Kansas was Stillwells. It is grown and packaged in Stillwell OK. We love it too. I harvest a little about every other day. I cut it up and put it in the freezer. When I bag it, I put in some diced onion and bell pepper. When I thaw it out for cooking, I sprinkle on some cornmeal and S&P. Then fry it. Frying it in bacon greese in the iron skillet is the best. however, I am now using a little canola and using the non stick skillet. Still awfull good.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  08:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Belle! lol It's been too long since I have lived there. But, I lived in Wichita, right on the border of OK (well you know 15 minutes), sooooooo I guess that would make perfect since!

BTW, not attacking, but I used "non stick" skillets for years. My cholesterol didn't really go down. But, then I started getting worried about the chemicals in that stuff. And went to cast iron, it's pretty "non" stick. And my chol has went down!

I wonder why people ever changed from the cast iron?

Any way again, not a personal attack, just relaying what I've found.

BTW, my grandma always used bacon grease too. And um.....I also stopped using canola and all that (I used to only use veg/canola etc) and again....chol went down! lol haha I used to have to be on chol medication....I haven't been on it now for 3 years!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I fry mine in butter...my grandma always used bacon grease too. I guess I don't cook bacon often enough to have it stocked up! Ethnic?? Wow...I have never heard that before! Here WHEN I can find it, it is in the regular frozen food section with the other bagged frozen foods.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  9:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Guess what girls???? I found another okra...wahoooo I've got 2!!!!! break out the bacon grease!!!! lol!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  06:13:11 AM  Show Profile
lol I know Jenny you have to laugh sometimes. lol

lol Kat! Whoo hoo! lol haha

Um....I make bacon daily.......no short supply here. lol haha

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  9:21:30 PM  Show Profile
oh & I love bacon, but it just doesn't love me...bummer!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  03:24:34 AM  Show Profile
This time of year I have to stop myself from buying fried okra at the store in the deli section. It's so good to munch on the way home. Just can't justify it when there's a ton growing at home.

We don't have a Fry Daddy, and it's just as well. I'd be fryin' everything!

We use it in soups too. If its added too soon, it breaks down and makes a better thinckener.

we have grown the red velvet variety. Is pretty and tasts fine. These pods can grow a little bigger before they get tough. And when they are allowed to mature and dry, they make a pretty addition to dried flower arrangements.
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  1:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Lord have mercy! That okra grows like wildfire down here. I made the mistake of planting 2 rows. I couldn't keep it picked fast enough! I have never in my life seen anything that springs to life like that stuff does just overnight. I still have okra in my freezer from last year. The only thing I don't like about it....I tried cooking it up with some squash thinking it would be fantastic! YUCK! It was slimy like snot! The whole pot of squash. I threw it all in the trash. Fried is better or for all y'all watching your weight....try just rolling it in some egg and cornmeal and they put it on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray (0 calories) and bake for about 20 mins in a 450 degree oven. Makes them crispy without all the oil. Yummy! Guess what I'm having for supper? :)

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:33:28 PM  Show Profile
KOOOOL! thanx for the "baked Okra" receipe, I think I just might have to give that a try!!!
hugz,

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  12:07:49 AM  Show Profile
what about pickling them? when I was pregnant with my son I used to crave pickled okra..ha. yeah I know..weird craving, but they are good pickled. I've never made them though, but would buy the jars of pickled okra at the grocery.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  04:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Pickled is great too. I love pickled anything! ha ha. The "baked" recipe I mentioned above also goes for squash, green tomatoes, and even catfish. I just spray my baking sheet with non-stick spray, and then spray the whatever with spray. Works great and tastes yummy without all the fat. And you know how we in the South love everything fried! :) Not me though. It hurts my stomach.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  04:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I love pickled okra.

You CAN pan fry with squash like you tried, with out the slime.

Here's how you do it........start with the okra in the pan first! The longer you "fry" it, the "slime" will cook away, after it's been in the pan a while, add the squash, it cooks up faster then the okra.

I just use my old cast iron skillet, give it a quick squirt of all natural oil spray (mazolla). Heat the skillet till it's nice and hot. And add the okra. Stir it around for a while.......I wish I could tell you exact length of time, I just know what I'm looking for when I do it! lol

If you would of kept cooking it, you would of evaporated the slime, however, you may of burnt the squash....as like I said okra takes a little while longer in the skillet to evap the slime.

I usually put it in first, then add the other stuff. However, I can and do put in onions with the okra, as they take a while to cook too. Just keep stirring it around so as not to burn it. Stir it about as often as you would onions when you are browning them. (not terribly often, but you do stir them)

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:27:03 AM  Show Profile
You aren't gonna believe this. the ONLY thing that grew in my garden this year was Okra. i've Never grown it before - just saw it at the nursery and got it on a whim. My tomatoes are not producing and the peppers died. but i've got OKRA. i have no idea when to harvest it, and I sure don't know waht to do with it! i will try the baked okra idea that sounds pretty good. any other ideas for me?!?!
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Don't let the okra get real big because it will be really tough. I usually harvest mine when it gets to know more than 3" long. Any longer, it's tough as leather.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  03:25:56 AM  Show Profile
It never occurred to BAKE it!

HEY! that's a great idea.

sometimes when we have leftover i'll put it in the toaster oven to crisp it up the next day. Same principle as the big oven I guess only a smaller quantity (duh)

Ours is still blooming and is at eye level. I';m 5'5

I'll try the baked method, then put the rest to bed for the season.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic I got an OKRA.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page