Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Here is an article about the bees collapse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Here is an article about the bees collapse Next Topic  

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  6:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I found this article very interesting:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_14192.cfm

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

DeerDominique
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Dominique
Ferndale CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile
The whole thing has been freaking me out for a few years now. Thanks for posting the article, I just emailed the link to few people in my book to try and raise awareness.
"Big Business" strikes again.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  06:43:35 AM  Show Profile
That was indeed very enlightening; thanks for sharing it, Lisa Marie. I heard on the news here in France a month or so ago, a report on bees dying near the border of one of our neighboring countries; I think it was Germany or Belgium but don't spray me with RoundUp because my memory fails me! Anyway, the particular pesticide the farmers on the other side of the border use that is banned here, drifts across with wind currents and voila, dead bees. It is angering and truly disheartening to see just what privileges money can buy for those with big pockets.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  07:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Next year I am going to plant a bee oasis. We have plenty of wasps, but I haven't seen a good pollen-laden bee in so long! However, I did release about 6 bees yesterday that came indoors with a flowering plant. I hope they find their hive and that they make it through the winter!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  8:18:39 PM  Show Profile
We must be on the migration path of bees. This year it was bumble bees, everywhere in one of our trees out in our orchard. They even sit on the wire of the fences nearby. 2 years ago the honey bees were on one of the branches of a walnut tree close to our house and the branch sagged from their weight, they were here about 2 days and never saw them again. I had never seen anything like it. I have pictures somewhere. We seem to have many bees here, I planted clover in the pastures and many flowers and fruit trees...I am very thankful for the little bees. I don't think we should mess with their habitats as much as we do. We will not let anyone put up hives to move them to other places or to harvest honey from the bee trees. Other gardeners less than 20 miles from here complained that they did not have bees to polinate their melons this year. I hope we can provide a safe place for them to stay healthy and they will stay here and be our farming buddies.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  05:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you've got a good place for them, Sarita. I'm no bee expert, but the situation you described of the honey bees sagging the branch sounds like a swarm trying to organize. Bee keepers around here go nuts when they hear of one and will race to try to capture them because they don't stay long. From what I understand it happens when a hive gets too big for it's home and it splits off. Apparently, the bees that leave the hive swarm together to organize themselves and find a new home. And while they are apparently so involved in their planning/deliberating that they are fairly easy for the beekeepers to capture and give them a home. So it sounds like you must have lots of bees around your place.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Here is an article about the bees collapse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page