Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Phew! Yikes! Who ever knew that switching schools and getting all the new technology lined up was going to be so difficult! And school is off to a jump start!

I have already taken a Math Assessment Quiz and a Course rules quiz. I am a bit afraid to go look at my other classes because I don't have to books yet, but that is what I am going to be doing tonight once Nora is in bed. I might have to buy a few chapters of books until my real texts get here.

Anyone else in college? I know CatsCharm is... anyone else?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Alee. I remember when I first started up things...boy was I in for a real lesson!! HA!! The best thing that has helped me is I keep a HUGE calendar right next to my computer so I can put up dates of all my work due right along with my other life...mom, kiddo, hubby, etc...I can see exactly where I need to be and on what day. It sure does help...oh and I keep chocolate right next to the computer too... : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Those are good suggestions, Heather! My biggest issue has just been getting the college's programs to work. It has been a nightmare of "I'm sorry but your name isn't on record/ your password isn't on record/ Gee- That's weird...I don't know why it's doing that..." LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  6:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my!! Do they have a very slow to react IT person you can call?? Usually, it some college student working their way through on the night shift help desk. ha!! That is always fun. Is it some sort of blackboard program ?

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  8:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather-

Actually the main IT office has been great- it's the local one that has caused so many problems. I swear! The woman here in town is "reset" happy...and resetting it is what is causing the problems!

Actually what I have been having trouble getting access to is the secure website that runs my online classes. It's a pretty simple program and we got it working now... Thanks for asking!

And guess what?! I got a free book tonight! yay! Now I don't have to buy my math materials!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:10:32 PM  Show Profile
oh gurl! i so admire what you are doing! if i were to go back to school today . i'd wanna' take all the FUN subjects! weaving rugs and baskets .. rug hooking .. quilting .. RECESS and LUNCH!

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  04:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Good luck in school. I have two sons going to college. One is Salisbury Maryland, the other in Germantown Maryland. Whew are they bleeding me dry for money! ha ha.

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  04:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Yeah for the college girls!

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,
I'm in University - just about the same thing. Isn't the first week crazy? I couldn't believe it when I got my book list - I have 25 textbooks. Luckily most of them are novels; I'm taking two literature courses.

Speaking of school... I did mean to be brushing up on my Latin right now... I should go do that.
Good luck with the studying :)

Erin
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Erin, I was about to say, 25 BOOKS!! OH MY!!! HA!!! I have 6 books this semester, so that is a light load for me.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  11:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin- I know what you mean. The year I took my AP English course I had about that many! I believe that Dover books offers a lot of the Classic books for much cheaper than normal publishing prices.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  2:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Alee. Classics are one thing I feel I can never have too many of. Although perhaps not everyone feels that way - what's that saying again? "Classics are books which everyone wants to have read and nobody wants to read".

A shame, if it's true :)

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  6:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the classics, but I must admit, sometimes the older fashioned language does get a bit burdensome. Some of the classics are so fond of superlative descriptions. Sometimes it can get a bit wearying.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  8:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I started back to school in January and was so lacking in confidence. I've been out for quiet a while, but decided now was the time to start that masters' program. I was totally overwhelmed, but the program director and my advisor have both been awesome.
A funny thing happened this week with school also. I had decided that there was no way I could take any classes this semester due to the goings on in my life. The program director contacted me about doing a directed study this semester. This means I don't have to attend class, I get to do research and study what interest me and earn 3 credit hours.

Like Heather mentioned an agenda to keep you organized and lots of chocolate will help get you through.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  8:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I bought a huge calender that sits on to of my desk. You know, the kind you often see in office buildings? I also have a bunch of really cool Gel pens that I bought from Costco a while ago (84 Gel pens ranging from regular to pastel to neon to glittery! Yahoo!!). So I picked a color for each class and am writing down due dates and then writing myself little warning signs about 5 days out for big assignments. I am really getting into being organized. My Math teacher is already impressed with me! I am hoping to keep it that way!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  8:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes! I forgot! What classes is everyone taking? I have to take some "basic" level classes since I never took an ACT or SAT so no math scores etc...

So I am taking

Algebra 105 *all review I plan on acing this class!)
Accounting 234
History 104- History of Civilization up to 1500 *Yippee! I love history!!*
Research 125- Research in the information age *this feels like a fluff class, but I need it to fulfill degree requirements*
Psychology 101- General Psychology. This is going to be fun too! Doug and I both like to play armchair Psychologist with each other. Now I will have a book to back me up!!

All told it is 16 credits. I wish the accounting class was online two...then the world would be perfect!! Oh well! Four out of 5 isn't bad at all! That's 80%! (yes, I am a nut enough to have figured it out...LOL)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  07:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey to all your college gals,

I'm not taking college classes but I teach 4. I teach developmental reading-a course designed to help give or sharpen the reading comprehesion tools of students, so they'll be more successful with reading and comprehending their college textbooks. I'm also a notetaker for students with disabilities and have sat in on lots of general college classes. If I may pass along a few pieces of advice from the "other side of the fence": -Communicate with your instructors about problems with understanding information or grades or assignments-we really appreciate this feedback; get assignments in on time-the scheduled due date and when/if you can't, communicate this to the instructor asap. Follow the course schedule/syllabus or at least read it. So many of my students could clear up thier own confusion fi they'd only read this stuff. Seek outside help from tutoring, writing centers, math tutors as soon as you feel yourself becoming lost. Or, buddy up with a "brainy" classmate for help. Use the internet for help in understanding stuff-you can always google stuff for more/further information/understanding. Come prepared to class-that means have the assigned reading and homework done, and be prepared, willin, and able to join in classroom discussions and topics. I hope this didn't/doesn't sound to preachy but I know going to college is alot in the way of time and financial committment. I wish all our college students in MaryJanes Farmhouse a successful semester. Knock um dead!

Bonnie
Farmgirl #333
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  9:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Bonnie! Those are great tips! And ones I am sure all of our professors wish all the students would follow!

I just got done with a week and a half worth of Math Homework today. Seeing as how I a still lacking a few books, :( , I am trying to get as ahead in Math as possible. It is all graded by a computer, so I am not putting a strain on my teacher. I just have to remember to respond and post in our Math Forum which is part of our homework.

Thursday is the first Accounting class I will have attended. I assume I will be taking lots of notes and having lots of reading to do to catch up since I missed last week. And of course, when I get my other books I will have tons to do then too!

Tomorrow I am going to try to finish up this week in Math. If I can do a week's worth of Math in 1-2 days, then I will be doing great. This is a review course for me anyway and I can see that I will only hit stuff that really needs a refresher about Mid-Term. By then I should have a more steady and less frenetic schedule.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How are things going, Ladies? I just completed the whole week's worth of Homework and Quizes for my Math class. I have some work yet to do on my research class.

Overall, things are going great! I am very enthused!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Lot's of paper writing and analytical type stuff..oh my head!! HA!!! I am also doing some online virtual labs this semester and my internship starts next Wednesday. I need to also start getting things together for my first study guide for exams. YEAH!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How crazy is it that I only have 4 weeks before my first mid term!! Didn't I just start last week?!

Working on Week 3's Math today, finished up my Research class for the day, though I think I will do more reading tonight. If I can get a jump on the project due on Sunday then I can have a bit of breathing space since I know on Thursday I will be laden down with Accounting work.

Who thought that taking 16 credits was a good idea...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  5:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Probably the same gal who took 17!! HA!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL We are nuts, aren't we?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I do believe so!! Some day, I will look back, while I sit at my office window desk, and think how EASY it was!!! HA!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I found a place here in town called "Toddler Escape" that is only $3 an hour. Yippee! Poor Nora will have someone to play with her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Cool..that should give you some down time and study time and give her some time to play with others. Good job Mama!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Welcome back to College! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page