Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Ugh!!! I have been an acne sufferer since puberty and it hasn't stopped. I am 43 years old. I don't mean the occasional little pimple or blackhead. I have to deal with those painful nodules called cystic acne. They are painful and are itchy. It draws unwanted attention and I just want to go hide. They leave ugly scars too. Years ago, I even put myself through torture and tried that poison called Accutane. Nothing has worked.

Do any of you deal with this sort of thing? I am thinking my hormones are the culprit along with my sorry eating habits. Going through peri- menopause doesn't help matters. Is it too much estrogen? Too much progesterone? I don't know. What have you found to work? Thanks for your help. You ladies always have such wonderful advice.

"Love one another."

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Brenda!

Oh that types of acne is painful! Have you tried using Tea Tree Oil? It penetrates the layers of skin and helps kill the bacteria beneath the skin. It's amazing! I used to have horrible acne, especially in the "t" zone. Some of them were very deep and painful. And of course it felt like the more I scratched or popped, the more there was. Tea Tree Oil saved my skin.

Hormones can be a huge cause of acne. I am always at more risk for acne around my cycle. And what you eat does impact the acne as well.

Another thing that might help is using a some sort of toner on your skin after your have washed. I like to use some sort of scrub. You can use sugar or salt scrubs, or even the store-bought ones that have almond shells in them (like St. Ives). Honey is also a great skin cleanser, and if you have some corn meal laying around you can make your own scrub with honey and corn meal. Just remember to go gently. Then tone and moisturize.

Hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
I was just researching the Tea Tree Oil. I do believe I am gonna give that a try!! This is more than just a t-zone thing with me though. My poor body has always been out of wack! It seemed like the only time my skin got a break was during pregnancy. You are always so helpful girl! :) Thank you so much for responding.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:54:31 AM  Show Profile
My ex had awful acne on his back and started putting epsom salts in a bath and adding vit A and D to his diet. Really helped him.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:28:07 AM  Show Profile
HEy- I understand! I hated seeing pictures of me with those huge places and scars on my face.
Since my hysterectomy and estrogen replacement I have had NO problems. I think that it may be the increased estrogen has done it. I tried several but the plant based Cenestine works well for me.
NOTHING ELSE ever helped. I don't know why you couldn't ask your doctor about increased estrogen -
I know the emotional trauma of adult acne- I will never forget it!!!!!
I hope you can track down some solutions for this.

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Burt's Bees makes a really good acne lotion, I suspect it is loaded with tea tree oil, which is great stuff. Good luck, it really helped my daughter.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  5:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Try using nothing at all on your face. If you continue to scrub & wash away oils, your body needs to overproduce & never gets balanced. I do not use anything on my face & rarely have problems(in HS I had zits galore, & also into my early adult yrs) but once I quit using anything, things balanced out & seemed to clear up.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  5:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Someone once told me if you have acne, to wash with a paste of cornstarch...don't know if it works but worth a try and frugal too.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Use a gentle cleanser on your face, then make sure to moisturize with a light moisturizer. I know it sounds counterintuative to do so, but it does work. For years, I skipped this step, and then a friend who sells Mary Kay gave me some samples and insisted I include this step in my routine. Believe it or not my skin cleared up. I did have to use a different moisturizer than MK though.
I also use an exfoliating mask/cleanser at least every other day to wash away any dead skin.

Your face is trying to make up its own moisture from washing away dirt, sweat and oils that you get from every day living. It overcompensates itself.

If I have a bad cyst type of pimple, I am a bad Mommy, and pop it, usually before bed.
After I do that, I put some peroxide on it, let it dry, and then use neosporin over that. Within a day it is gone, and it gets rid of the bacteria AND it isn't so painful then either.

Believe me, there are days I wonder if I am really 36 and not 16 again. I should be over "zits" by now.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Sep 02 2008 8:47:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  9:04:21 PM  Show Profile
My DD researched the internet and found a recipe for an oatmeal mask that has helped a lot with her skin. I didn't even know she had done this and within a few days I saw a huge change in her face. Then I asked. She found it on an organic site.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, on another bulletin board there are more than a few ladies who say that when they began using a skincare called Clinique it did wonders for their acne. Some said they thought it better than Proactive. I know its a little costly, but if you live near a Dillards or Macy's you can probably get samples to try out.It might take a few weeks to see some progress, but if you can get the free samples maybe it would be worth a try.

Caron

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Pro active worked for my cousin David, BUT you have to use it forever AND it stains your clothes and towels if you sweat or get it on it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  8:08:59 PM  Show Profile
This is kind of controversial because I know there's debate about taking any kind of artificial hormones. I used to get the kind of acne you're talking about, not all the time only occasionally. But it hasn't happened once since I started using birth control pills. I know that's a positive side effect they mention from time to time in advertising for certain brands. If you found your skin was better during pregnancy, it might help you. My understanding is that bc pills fool your body hormonally into thinking you're already pregnant so your ovaries will stop releasing eggs. But I don't know if it's ok to take them if you're close to menopause.
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  09:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I feel your pain. Well I used to anyway. I had adult onset acne, right after having my first child, which was devestating for me because I grew up with crystal clear skin. I used to get those same huge cyst type spots, plus little ones.

About a month ago I started washing my face with honey. Yes, honey straight from the bottle. It doesn't take too much. Maybe a teaspoon but my face has not felt or looked so good in years! I also do an oatmeal & milk scrub once a week to exfoliate a bit. I am true convert now and will never go back to my old ways with Mary Kay.

Hugs~

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Wow! What great advice everyone is offering up! And such a variety of remedies; it just goes to show how different everyone's skin is, doesn't it. I'll chime in with tea tree oil being wonderful for your skin (although I can't stand the smell). Also, I try to touch my face as little as possible (no chin resting, etc.) and use a small facial brush or sponge to wash my face so I am not rubbing more oils from my hands back onto my face when I wash.

My BIL had terrible acne and the dermatologist he saw told him that systems like Proactiv really are only good for getting you into a routine of caring for your face. He mentioned you could use just about anything, as long as it was a consistent routine and followed with a toner and moisturizer (as the Proactiv system uses).Just my $.02. ;) Good luck!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Christina--Is the oatmeal & milk scrub homemade? If so, would you share your recipe? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Connie the scrub is homemade! It is really not worthy of a recipe per sey. All i do is scoop out a palm/handful of oatmeal from the container. Then I rub my hands together over a bowl to make it a tad bit finer. Don't get it to fine though. Then I add a bit of warm milk. Just enough to make it moist enough to still be a scrub but thick enough to stick to your face a bit. Once I rub and gently scrub it all around I leave it on there to sit for about 2-3 minutes. That is really all that I do. Washing with the honey and this little oatmeal scrub keep my face nice and smooth.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I do something very similiar Christina except I use honey, oatmeal and a little water to make a paste. It is messy but boy the results are fantastic. I used to do it all the time in high school and maybe had one pimple a month from my monthly visitor, but it usually went right away.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  07:22:32 AM  Show Profile
I just want to thank you all so much for your replies. You all had such wonderful advice and tips for me. Unfortunately, this has been a life long thorn-in-my-side so to speak. I am sure it is hormonal as well as nutritional. I do not use make-up anymore because it never stayed put and it always made my skin feel "dirty". So I am a plain jane kinda girl.

Caron: Many years ago, I used Clinique. I loved it, but yes, it was costly. That was the only make-up that didn't feel yucky on my face. I am not sure but the closest Dillards near me may have closed it's doors.

Christina: I do have some fresh honey from my neighbor that we take for allergies. I will try that. I read somewhere that it also has healing properties for wounds? I will give the oatmeal & milk scrub a try too.

Molly: After your post, I researched the tea oil healing properties and it does sound like it would be very good for applying it directly onto those painful spots! I will be ordering some for sure. :)

You have all been very helpful and kind. Thank you so much. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Brenda: Don't laught at this. LOL Last week during the hurricane evacuation, I ended up with this huge zit right on my face, on my left cheek. I was nervous and constantly rubbing the gross thing. This woman slaps my hand and says, "Go get my bag over there." I knew the woman, so I went get her bag. LOL She pulls out this tube of colgate toothpaste, and before I knew what she was going to do with it, it was done. She put the toothpaste right over the zit. Shaking her finger at me, she said, "And don't rub that off until the morning." I didn't. The next morning the zit was all dried up. Seriously. The second day, I put the toothpaste again. No more zit after that. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  06:03:02 AM  Show Profile
As a licensed esthetician, I would recommend starting from the inside out. Cystic acne is bacterial. Maybe a detox? If you do, never dteox for more than 3 days as its bad for the body. Chamomile is anti-inflammatory so I'd go with an all liquid diet for 3 days. Chamomile tea, water, green tea, etc. Stay away form fruit juices that are high in natural sugar (apple). Grapefruit juice is acidic, and good for the skin (drinking it). I also recomend a cleanser like Burts Bees Soapbark and Chamomile. It has been a staple in my facial room for 3 years. Alot of my clients think that with acne they need to dry their skin out. Sometimes excessive cleansing makes the problem worse. I would also make a toner of distilled water 8oz to 6-10 drops of tea tree. Tea tree is very strong and can irritate open blemishes. Try not to squeeze. I know, I dont practive what i preach and I should kno better..... but if you must break one open use a tissue to cover finger and roll the pimple between two fingers. Dab the goo... I've also had major success with an enzyme peel. Enzymes like papaya, pineapple and pumpkin are great at dissolving dead tissue at a cellular level. You can get a good enzyme peel from me... (I can custom make it for you) or you can try the BioElements one. Very pricey. (thats what i use for my spa facial and the spa owner charges $95 for the facial....) I can get it at a fraction of the cost. Seriously. Sometimes it just pays to know someone with a cosmo license!! I only use organic products in my facials btw... OH! last thing, are you allergic to sulphur? Great for acne and I can send you some masque to use once per week if interested.
Also, everyone else suggestions are great. I am not trying to step on toes here, everything has a differnt chemical reaction to different skin types. My daughter did the proactive thing and she had a horrible reaction. We did everything to clear her skin up. Thats how I came across Burts Bees. She now has great skin, and so do I....it DOES take a little getting used to as there are no SLS or major surfactants in the cleanser.... it feels like you are not washing it off completely, but trust me your skin IS clean. What you feel on your skin is your acid mantle ( lipid barrier (oil)). We all have one to protect us from elements and a lot of the cleansers onthe market today detsroy that barrier thus giving us .... acne.

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  08:00:55 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, thank you. I am writing all of this down to refer back to. I do have Chamomile tea, I need to get more though. I love green tea as well. No, I am not allergic to sulphur, however, I am allergic to penicillan (not sure I spelled that right).Most of the time, these things do not make a head. They are just large red painful nodules. Thank you for all of this helpful advice. I will try all of your suggestions.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Yep. Sounds cystic to me. Its internal I'm afraid. I love the oatmeal idea...so good for skin. Keep a food diary and see what makes you break out. A food diary is not a fun task, but well worth the time! everything you put in your mouth record and see what kind of reaction your skin has to it. Skin is the largest organ of the body and surprislingly the most often over looked. If we are have chest pains, we go get our heart checked, kidneys, liver and the rest all follow suit, but who takes their skin into consideration? It regulates our temp, it detoxes, it absorbs, when we go into the sun it tans to protect us from burning up. I think skin is amazing...Everything we eat or apply to our body affects the skin. Sorry, I forget that not everyone shares my enthusiasm!!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  09:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Brenda: please email me and I will send you out some sample things to try...okey doke?

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  06:26:15 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I never had horrible acne but I am the type that will get two or three huge zits that hurt really bad at once. I tried everything and nothing seemed to help so I went to ProActiv. It worked, but was too expensive for me. Then I tried the Acne Free found at Wal-mart, which is about $18 a box but lasted me at least four months. This works just as well as ProActiv for me and I was literally zit free while using it! I would give it a try!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  06:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
My family has relied on this solution for years... washing the body with Ivory soap rinsing well, applying honey, rinsing, pat dry. Drink at least eight glasses of water daily , oh, and use an oil free lotion ( there are lots to choose from).My daughter always liked the ones from Neutrogena. None of my children were ever plagued with acne after they started doing this and my daughter who is in her twenties still continues with this regimen and her complexion looks like a china dolls!

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Dreadful Adult Acne!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page