Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Hurricane Advice farmgirl style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Hurricane Advice farmgirl style Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  6:16:28 PM  Show Profile
We all see the advice the weather channel and everyone gives about hurricane readiness. It is good. And it is necessary. But there are things they do not always mention which I have learned the hard way.

I have laid in bed, with my family asleep and knowing Hurricane Opal was headed our way (this was years back). We sat through Hurricane Kate in 1985, and it left a forever mark on my mind.

I laid there with my heart beating so hard it was making the mattress move......I had to do something.....positive and helpful....something to prepare.......

Here is what I did, and you might find it helpful:

Do all laundry, wash and dry. When the power fails, wet clothes and towels just get stinky and moldy. And you will need dry towels and things to hold back water.

Wash all your dirty dishes and dry them.

Take anything out of your yard that moves. Anything!!!!! Put it in the garage or a shed. This includes trash cans, birdbaths, feeders, lawn art, windchimes, even wood for the fireplace. Take your garbage cans into a place of safety. Take down your porch swing and the chains. Put your plants in a corner, and your lawn chairs in the garage or a shed.

Put all cars in the garage, or a covered place.

If you have a long tree covered drive, take one car out on the main road. If a tree falls across your drive, you cannot get out in an emergency if your cars are all by the house.

Have cash on hand.

Have a waterproof box of your family photos, and a box of important insurance documents ready at all times to put in the car.

Keep crackers, p-nut butter, jelly, juice, cookies, breakfast bars, cereal, dry milk, and water ready to take. And paper goods.

Keep a full tank of gas in the car always. If it gets down to a half tank, fill up.

Have a camp stove ready to use. Also a gas grill and gas.

Freeze a lot of plastic containers of water.....taking care to not fill them completely to leave room for them to freeze. They can preserve refrigeration when the power goes, and later provide fresh water.

Have oil lamps on hand. And a radio with batteries. And a battery operated clock.

Know how to open your automatic garage door when the power goes.

Have a lot of extra towels, clean and ready. Have buckets, too. And mops. And paper towels.

Have important medicines and a first aid kit.

Have important phone numbers written down in a safe place.

Always have one phone that is corded. It will work when the others are out because of power outages.

Keep your cell phones and laptop computer charged until the power goes out, and then have a car phone charger.

Photograph every room in your house and all the valuables. This will help for insurance purposes. Keep the film in a safe place with your photos and insurance papers.

That is about all I can think of now, but there may be more. Anyone else have advice?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 30 2008 05:46:58 AM

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
All great advice..be completely prepped is important. If it truly looks like we are going to have to bug out, I packed my Jeep with everything I need 2 days before. I rather spend 2 hours packing for no reason then have 20 minutes to get out and not have everything I need.

I would add wipes, elbow length, heavy duty plastic gloves and rubber boots, in case of having to wade. Even a small inflatable raft, tent (In case you cannot get shelter, but can camp out), tarps, maps, put everything is plastic baggies or containers that float.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Aug 29 2008 6:43:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  05:42:42 AM  Show Profile
Great additions, Heather. The raft is a good one!

Also, choose one or two easy to take family heirlooms. These may not be necessary for survival, but are necessary for your heart.....it helps to just have that quilt, or that basket from your grandmother......or your heirloom jewelry.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Another thing is either those floating noodles or life jackets. I have a little swim set with a life jacket for Charlie that clips together. If you can at least float, that could save your life. The noodles could be tied together (Don't forget heavy rope) and made to make a raft or to sleep on. I would add a handcranked heavy duty flashlight also. Here are some ideas for keeping your stuff dry.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=dry-bags-cases&categoryId=3922&cat4=8281&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&nav=va

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=dry-boxes-accessories&categoryId=502138&cat4=8281&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&nav=va

And don't forget to put things up as high as possible in your home, just in case you have some flooding, you might be able to salvage your furiture, books, mattresses, etc.
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Aug 30 2008 08:11:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  08:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I keep thinking of stuff...large bottle of bleach or vinegar, to disinfect and dishwashing soap.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  11:54:26 AM  Show Profile
All good advice. Thank you! I do many of those things, however I don't put things up high. They go to the celler. We are in Kansas. We go underground in an emergency. I have food and water, camp stove, a change of cloths, thick sole shoes, things like that. I try to stay prepared so if we have to go to the celler and come out to find the house has blown away, we will be able to live for a few days, no problem. One time thinking we might have to go to the celler, I thought we have plenty of canned food. Then remembered there was no can opener. Now we have one. The other day, thought about toilet paper. Now we have some.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  12:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot, when we are under a tornado warning, I put a cardboard box and several dishtowels in front of each china cabinet. There is one or two pieces in each cabinet that are priceless, well to me anyway. The plan is when it is time to go, wrap the dish in a dish towel and put it in the box and run. We actually had to do that one time. Had time to do that. Kept running by the kitchen counter that had a just baked cake sitting on it. So one of the trips, I grabed the cake too. Tornado missed us by a couple of miles. So everything had to be brought back up and put away. That usually takes a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  1:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am feeling really blessed that the only prep I need is to have a month of food on hand, water on hand, and a good snow shovel! Okay, we have to have blankets and an oil lamp too, and I should buy a propane powered camp stove!

Be safe!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  2:14:18 PM  Show Profile
Alee, we prepare for winter too. Our problem is usually ice. Then we have the down power lines and trees. We have lots and lots of food but have an electric stove. We keep the generator serviced and did keep a couple hundred gallons of gas to power it. To much $$ now plus the fact that too many people know we had it. So we just keep 2 or 3 5 gal cans on hand.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Everyone has good advice posted here for the hurricane and tornado season upon us. Living in Kansas, I kept tornado supplies on hand. In California, earthquake supplies. Gulf of Texas, hurricane supplies and now for Massachusetts, snowbound supplies. From November to Spring I carry a suitcase in the car with two days of supplies plus clothing --- just in case winter weather, snow or ice, won't allow the 20 mile commute home from work.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Linda, I grew up in CT and always had boots, collapsable shovel, kitty litter, mittens/scarf, flares, a blanket and extra clothes along with a bottle of water and some protein bars. I remember those days. BRRRRRRRR!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  5:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Lori - I have been thinking about you!!!!! So good to hear your family is okay. Yes, garage doors (we have one that can withstand 125 mile winds) is key, and so are shutters for your windows and doors, and roof trusses that are strong......but those cost lots of money, and take a while to install. Still they can mean the difference in a big storm. Glad you are all safe. How much rain did you get?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  6:06:32 PM  Show Profile
This is an after the fact that is good for all storms. One thing also to remember is unplug. When you loose power and it gets booted back up there are surges that can fry your applicances. Unplug everything adn don't plug in for at least 1/2 hour or more after the lights are back on.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  07:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, Laurie!

Farmgirl Sister # 31