Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Planting Bulbs Next Topic  

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  06:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Today's the day! Temps in the high 60's, soil just moist enough, time to plant the tulip bulbs. This year my neighbor and I shared a box of 100 pink lily-flowering tulips; I'm massing mine in one color block next to my bluestone path that goes to the sideyard from the front, flanked by two pyramidal boxwood.

Also planting tulips in the cutting garden -- these from Home Depot. Cheap bulbs -- blooms are fabulous the first year and smaller in subsequent years, and I love picking bouquets of any size. It feels like such an indulgence to be able to pick all the tulips at once and just fill the house with blooms. I add more bulbs each year to the cutting garden.

Also planting the blue grape hyacinth that were forced in pots last winter. I've kept them in the forcing pots and now will pop them into the ground.

Will probably succumb to the bulb sales this week and try to shoehorn a few more into the ground. Can't help it -- I'm a Dutch girl and it's in my genes!!

Just another great day in the garden.

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  07:05:02 AM  Show Profile
I love tulips. Every year I say I have no more room to plant bulbs and every year I buy more and find some where to put them. I still have a few more to plant before the first frost. Hope to do that sometime this weekend. The pink lily tulips sound wonderful. I have pink doubles that look like peonies.

Have fun planting.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  8:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh how I would love to plant lots of tulips, but the famliy of deer that feed in my yard, love tulips. So it is mostly Daffodils and minor bulbs. I will sneak in a few Tulips in hopes they are overlooked.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Planting Bulbs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page