Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Homemade laundry detergent from homemade soap?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Homemade laundry detergent from homemade soap? Next Topic  

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  07:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Anyone tried this and how did it turn out? I just made some soap with mostly vegetable shortening and other oils as a base--a regular "hard" soap for bathing, etc. Just wondering if anyone has used their homemade soap for the homemade laundry detergent base which I've made in the past from Fels Naptha.
Thanks.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  07:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes....I have used homemade soap many times..but you do need to let it cure so it is really really dry before using it in the dry version...and grate to a powder...it works wonderfully!! In the gel version you could use it sooner.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile
That's awesome to hear, Jenny. I use a liquid version of the homemade as I have a HE front-load washer and find this works well for me....SO, that means I can try this out sooner than later! Yeah. Thanks for the input.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4191 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4191 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  04:22:16 AM  Show Profile
I use homemade soap also. I course grate it, then let it dry out in the oven for a few days, then I do what ever it takes to get it really fine. Blender, food processor, that seems to be the hardest part for me. I do have some soap that has been drying now for a few months, so hopefully that will grate better. Usually I am using month old soap to try to make laundry soap, and it is just too wet. I also have a HE front load washer, and don't have any problems. The soap I make is just a simple lard, cold process recipe. It works great on stains.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  07:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Michele, can you tell me more about how you use powdered soap in your HE washer? Do you put it in the tray that holds the liquid soap normally? Does it all get into the machine? I can see why you need to dry the soap longer for this...mine is just curing now and this is my first batch ever but it seems soft and "wet" for grating at this point.
I can't wait to try it out however...that's the hard part about soap...the waiting!
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jami- You can just add the detergent with the clothes in a HE washer, or there is also a spot for powdered laundry detergent in the little tray that pulls out.

I love using hand made soap in my laundry soap. It seems to give my clothes a natural fabric softening. I am not sure if this is because of some left over glycerin or what. But I love it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4191 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4191 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Yup, Mine only has one spot for soap, liquid or dry. The other spots are for bleach, and fabric softner, (which i don't use). Water washed the soap down, so have no problems.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Homemade laundry detergent from homemade soap? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page