Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Porketta and other mystery meat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Porketta and other mystery meat Next Topic  

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  4:46:09 PM  Show Profile
The other day my husband brought home a bag of frozen meat from his mother who was apperently cleaning out her freezer. I guess she decided it was time to get rid of the odd cuts by sneaking them home with my husband who doesn't know any better. She sent some pork from a pig they had butchered earlier in the year, and one package is simply labeled "porketta". I have googled porketta and from most things I have seen, it is an Italian spiced pork dish, generally made from boneless pork roast. This package is fairly small, so it is not a roast. I tried opening some of the butcher paper to take a look, but it is not easily ID'd in its frozen state. It almost looks like a package of boneless ribs. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be, or what could be done with it?

Then there is the backbone. Yeah, I said backbone. I have a few packages of this, but I really don't think that it is something I want to try to salvage. It just sounds wrong. Any suggestions?

How about "ends"? Sounds delicious, doesn't it? I think that this is ends of a ham. I have a couple packages of this, too. If it is ends of a cured ham, do you think it could be used for something like adding flavor to a pot of beans?

On to the soup bones. I am actually kinda excited about having these, so I can make my own beef stock, but I need a little direction. Should I just dump them in a pot with a bunch of aromatic veggies and simmer for a while? I read somewhere about a person roasting them in the oven before making her stock. Does this sound like a waste of time, or would it add a greater depth of flavor?

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  5:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Toni
If you have a pressure cooker, you can cook meat in those to the point that it softens up extra nice. If you are not comfortable eating some of the meat, & you have dogs, you can actually pressure cook extra long & the bones will become soft & can be mashed. Dogs love this stuff & no harm of them choking on bones. Just pressure cook extra long w/plenty of water.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Porketta and other mystery meat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page