Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Biscuits, gravy and grits recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Biscuits, gravy and grits recipes Next Topic  

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  6:04:47 PM  Show Profile
My son asked me to get him some recipes for biscuits with gravy and recipes for grits. I told him to go online and he said, "No, I want you to ask your farm friends. They have the best recipes that have actually been eaten for years. So ask them!" I know I have seen some a long time ago, but would be so happy if I could pass some on to him. Thanks!!!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  8:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sheryl-lyn!
I'm half asleep, so tomorrow I'll send you one of my favorite biscuit recipes and several for grits. I just love grits! When I was in college in Boston in the fabulous 70's my mother would have to mail me grits so I could cook them "up north"! I've trained my husband from Michigan to like grits. Notice I did not say love. But he does like the slow cooked buttery goodness with bacon and sausage gravy over his biscuits! Now I'm hungry AND tired!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  05:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I make the world's worst biscuits (only the dogs like mine) but I have a quick and easy sausage gravy recipe:
1/2 lb sausage
3 tablespoons flour
2 Cups milk

Brown the sausage in a large skillet at medium heat. Drain and reserve about 3 tablespoons of fat, leave in the skillet. Toss in the flour to coat the sausage and cook for a couple of minutes (making a light roue) Slowly pour in the milk, stirring continuously. Stir and cook for a few minutes until gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
***If you're like me, serve with Pillsbury Frozen Biscuits, prepared as per package. Or wait for a better recipe from other farmgirls!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  05:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Goodmorning!
Here are some recipes. I use MaryJane's sourdough biscuits from her book as my weekly biscuit recipe but these are for when there is no sourdough starter around and biscuits must be eaten!

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups White Lily flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
4 Tablespoon melted butter

Combine dry ingredients.
Slowly add cream until it just comes together.
Place on floured board and knead gently until it all smooths out.
Pat into a flat disk 3/4" thick. Cut with 2" cutter and brush both sides with melted butter.
Place 1" apart on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Bake 425 for 15 - 18 min.

Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cups self-rising flour (White Lily)
1/2 cup cold butter
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoon melted butter

Cut butter into flour until mix resembles small peas. Cover and chill about 10 minutes.
Add buttermilk stirring until just moistened.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead 3 or 4 times gradually adding additional flour as needed.
Pat dough into a 3/4" thick rectangle about 9x5. Sprinkle top of dough with additional fours. Fold dough over onto itself in 3 sections starting with a short end. Fold as in folding a letter size paper. Repeat the folding 2 more times beginning with pressing into 9x5 rectangle each time.
Press into 1/2 inch thick and cut with a 2" cutter.
Place side by side on parchment paper. They should be touching.
Bake at 450 for 13 to 15 minutes and lightly browned. Brush with melted butter.

As for grits I suggest always using slow cooked over instant! Lots of salt and butter and I add garlic powder to give it some umph!
This is a family recipe for a casserole for breakfast.

Grits Casserole

1 1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grits
1/2 stick margarine
1/2 stick Kraft garlic cheese
2 eggs
milk to make 1 cup

Bring water to boil and add salt and grits. Cook 3 minutes covered. Add margarine and cheese cut into chunks and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
Beat 2 eggs in a measuring cup and add milk to measure 1 cup. Add to grits mixture. Pour into 1 quart casserole, greased.
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Casserole can be kept overnight in refrigerator. Just stir it up before baking. Can also be put into freezer unbaked or baked. Thaw before baking.

To really add to the cholesterol party let's have

Sausage Gravy on the biscuits!

Sausage Gravy

1 pound of pork sausage
1/3 cup of Bisquick or other baking mix (I make my own multi grain version)
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned.
Drain and reserve 2 Tablespoons of drippings.
Place sausage in a bowl.
Add drippings to skillet and stir in baking mix until blended.
Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
Return to heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly and boiling for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in sausage.
Serve over biscuits.

I am soooo hungry!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  08:04:19 AM  Show Profile
My son is going to be so happy with these recipes. He made a sausage gravy on Sunday and he did use Pillsbury biscuits. He will be loving these. Where he ever thought to want grits is beyond me!! We are New Yorkers for 2 generations now! He's the one who wants to be a bullrider at least once in his life! :) I would love to try grits now though. Thanks!! You guys are the best.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Biscuits, gravy and grits recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page