Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What I'm doing with my tomato harvest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What I'm doing with my tomato harvest Next Topic  

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  06:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Our tomatoes are ripe! Lots of them! All at once! And I'm not one to do canning . . . so found a couple of recipes for roasting and oven-drying tomatoes. Yum! The slow-roasted tomatoes are delish on pasta. And today I'll be doing the oven-drying method. Check out my blog for link / recipe.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Good Luck! All of our tomatoes are in at once here too. I make salsa & oven roast and stuff in jars with olive oil and herbs from the garden which are really pretty for christmas gifts and delicious in the winter, also save the oil for drizzling on pasta and breads!
YUM!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  06:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yum! I wish I had tomatoes this year!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Laura -- That's just what I'll be doing with some of the oven-roasted ones . . . jarring them with olive oil and herbs. I'm excited about freezing the oven-dried, too -- will be so delicious on panini sandwiches in the winter.

Alee-- I'm sure you're planning on tomatoes next year. I am crazy about my Sweet Million cherry tomatoes -- great flavor and great production. We eat 'em right off the vine. And I think the Green Zebra has the best flavor of all on the plate. But the Fantastic so far is not so fantastic. The oven roasting is supposed to heighten flavor, which I think the Fantastic needs. And it's a very easy way to preserve.

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  10:41:05 AM  Show Profile
When I get tired of canning and still have lots of garden stuff left, I make "Tomato Junk". It is tomatoes, onions, green peppers, garlic, chili peppers, and celery. Chop it up and cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool then freeze in pint or quart containers. I use it in or on, Swiss steak, meatloaf, pasta, you name it.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  2:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Belle -- That sounds so good! Do you peel and seed the tomatoes? Sounds like such a good basic sauce. Hmm . . . may have to try it. We have a bunch of hot peppers in the garden that we grow for our crew, but I may have a few mildly-hot ones available for the Tomato Junk. More yummy stuff for the freezer!

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  06:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Katie, peeling is not necessary. It makes for a nicer looking product if you do. I don't, mainly because by the time I get to making Junk, I'm too tired.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What I'm doing with my tomato harvest Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page