Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Another Great Find at the Thrift Store...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Another Great Find at the Thrift Store... Next Topic
Page: of 2

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  9:41:31 PM  Show Profile
ok, don't laugh....yep, I bought another machine. I bought a Riccar w/ sewing table/desk for $50 but it was in absolutly pristine shape. I now have 3 work stations set up so I can have friends over to sew...wahoooo!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  11:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace i sure hope that riccar is not the "super stretch" model or if it is that the one i had was the bad apple in the barrel because it was so terrible! to sew a simple light weight cotton garment i usually ended up using at least 5 needles! i ended up giving it away to someone who begged for it and she then at my suggestion sent it to the dump!! i have used alot of machines in my life and that was by far the worst!! good luck with yours! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2261 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2261 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Diana -- If your machine is a handcrank then it isn't a featherweight. Featherweights were Singers made of aluminum and weigh about 11 pounds, while handcranks were made of cast iron and weigh 30 pounds or more. Do you have a picture or a serial number? If we can figure out what it is we can proceed with finding parts.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  09:01:47 AM  Show Profile
hey Connie,
thanx for the heads up on the Super Stretch model. Mine isn't one of those. I have been using it and it stitches wonderful,,,maybe I got a "keeper", hee hee.
To bad you tossed yours out,,,you could have made a Lamp w/i or a door weight! lol!
>^..^<

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  11:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace that is too funny! i did actually use it as a book end for a while! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  10:33:23 AM  Show Profile
ok, update on number of machines I have...
DD & I where in town & decided to take a quick detour over to the Goodwill store, honest,,,I said "do not let me buy another sewing machine,,,your father will have a heart attack!"...guess what I did??? yep, bought another one, an old singer for $10. it is probablly from the 1920-30's and works except the light attachment wire was cut & the pedal is missing but it runs off electricity so I can have hubby(who by the way didn't have a heart attack, just rolled his eyes at me) wire up a new pedal. Actually I just plan to keep this one for decoration.
Now DON'T let me buy any more!!! I have enough!!!! lol!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, Connie at least you have the transfer station to "shop" in. We found these when I was up there last summer (2007). We found fabric and vintage clothes and all sorts of stuff. Sarah found a set of metal school lockers. Painted them up and they now hold all of her kids sporting things and more. They each have their own long and short locker. They look like they came from Ikea, but look vintage!
Yeah, the transfer station is kinda dirty, but you can just wash things up and there are fine. This is where Sarah takes anything she wants to donate now.
Being a bit of a dumpster diver...I would love to have the chance to dig in a transfer station (recycle from) here. They won't let anyone take anything from the dump here (if they know about it)...such a waste and more to fill up our landfills.
I guess I got a little off topic, huh?
I saw a very cool old sewing machine (black)in the thrift shop where I volunteer last winter...I could kick myself now for not getting it. But I already had four old ones, so...I let it go. But it said right on the front "Queen of the West" in a fancy gold printing. It really was a treasure. Oh well, I am sure someone is loving it.

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/ (my personal blog)
www.thomstravel.com (to book your travel & save)
www.ytb.com/thomstravel (own your travel store & travel as an insider)
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi pamela isnt it crazy the way they act like stuff that is thrown away by one person couldnt possibly be used by another?? they tried last year to get the transfer sites closed to recycling but had so many people show up to fight it that the meeting lasted 4 hours longer than it was supposed to and not everyone got to testify! needless to say we still get to utilize the great stuff found there! my cabin is pretty much furnished from there! any chance of you visiting again? would love to meet you )or anyone else from here that visits)!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Another Great Find at the Thrift Store... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page