SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  8:03:32 PM  Show Profile
My six year old son just got glasses for the first time. Although he does see better with them, he's very embarassed about them. The first day of school was Wednesday, and he did great, and nobody really bugged him about them, thankfully. His "silver lining" in this is that the eye doctor wants him to play a hand held game for half an hour a day for a month!! We only have a Leapster, and we save that for only VERY long (like 8 hour) car rides, and usually let them use it for like 10 or 15 minutes at a time then! So he's in his glory, that makes him find a good in the glasses thing. Now let's hope it does its job and allows his eye muscles to mature!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  8:17:12 PM  Show Profile
My youngest daughter got glasses at that age. She adjusted very well and just got contacts recently. She still some days takes a break and wears her glasses. I hope he gets used to them quickly. That is neat that he has a fun thing to do to help out.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  04:00:59 AM  Show Profile
My youngest daughter has been wearing glasses since she was 18 mos. partly due to the eye muscle issues. I laughed out loud when the eye doctor said to let her play a game boy or nintendo ds each day for 30 minutes to help the eye muscles. She was in so excited to about that fact that she informed her classmates and several of her friends decided they couldn't see the chalkboard very well. (You know what they were up too.) Funny thing is 3 of them needed classes, but no one had figured it out yet!

Hope your son continues to do well adjusting to his glasses and his exercise schedule.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think glasses are losing their stigma. A lot more kids are wearing glasses now. Perhaps it is because eye diagnostics are getting better or perhaps our eye sight is getting worse- but I hope that someday the kids won't pick on other kids for wearing glasses.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  08:57:59 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee about them losing their stigma, and I hope he gets used to them. There are so many more options out there now, for little ones. But I for one, was ONE vain little girl, and the boys in our 5th grade class were very cruel. They would lick their two first fingers and swipe them down your glasses when you didn't expect it, and as soon as you got them cleaned, they'd do it again. I got mine in 5th grade and refused to wear them, up until the age of 15, when I had to admit I couldn't see worth a darn. Even then I only wore them for class, but dancing, I just sortof "winged it". I got contacts when I was 17 and I've never looked back. Do have glasses for travelling and just waking up or for when my eyes are tired.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  12:21:25 PM  Show Profile
My daughter got glasses when she was eight, she was furious. One day she broke her glasses at school, she swore it was an accident...This was almost twenty years ago and children still found it entertaining to torment their fellow classmates about anything at all...but I too think glasses are losing their stigma, and they make better ones for kids now. My niece had to get glasses at eighteen months and she had these little hornrims, they were so cute in a oold timey sort of way.
She was so glad to see okay she didn't mind. I'm sure your son will do well, I thing the mandatory hand held game makes it much more tolerable...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Glasses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page