nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile
With Halloween right around the corner, what does your family do?

My girls are all grown, I get dressed up in my witchie poo costume and hand out candy. I decorate the house as Halloween is my fav holiday. I even make holiday quilts for my walls to change out the season.

When the kids were small, we held an annual halloween party. All of the kids in the neighborhood and classes would be invited. It was normal to have 30-40 kids come in full costume. We had decorations and food of course. We hung cvlack crepe paper in the doorways. I had a fennel cut down to the main bud part and put it in a glass jar filled with slightly tinted red, it looked like a heart floating in bloody water. Cauliflower with the leaves cut off, looks liek a brain in slightly tinted green water.
Games: 1)Find someone who....A great mixer, each person is given a sheet of paper with questions such as (all start with find someone who) has been to Disneyland, has been to the ocean, has seen a whale, has eaten abalone, etc..
2) Bigger or Better than a Penny game, break the kids down to teams, give each team one penny. Send them out to the neighborhood, may want to limit to a certain street, per team or time to be back by, the team then goes to houses asking do you have something bigger or better than this penny, the house usually hand over a dallor or an item, the team then has to decide is this item bigger or better than the penny. If they decide to keep the dallor(or other item, they go to another house and ask if they have something bigger or better than the dallor (or whatever is recvd)they continue to do this untill their houses on the street are done or their time limit is up. The team with the best item wins. (One team brought home a broken ping pong table once that was fixed and used for many years.)

kim

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim:
Good posting! I absolutely love Halloween. I live out in the country, so I don't get many trick or treaters. Boo Hoo! But, sometimes the neighbors will bring their children or grandchildren. I love to see the little kids all dressed up. I fill a huge pumpkin bowl full of goodies; candy, apples, gum, pencils. We used to have the annual halloween scarey party. Too funny thinking about it. The grown-ups were more afraid than the kids!
I love decorating the outside porch and the kitchen. How soon do you start decorating for Halloween?
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
We satill have little ones at home so we decorate it up for Halloween! I love it adn so does hubby. we do the graveyard complete with the dancing "Mr. Bones dangling from a tree and coffin coming up out of the ground, the spiderwebs, a giant pumkin with a strobe light on it, and a lot of other creepy monsters and ghosts! This year we'll add too it since every year I have to get at least one new thing! lol. It's so much fun to see the kids faces when they walk by or ride by!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  12:05:37 AM  Show Profile
We have always lived out in the country so we have seldom to never had Trick or treaters. When my kids were little they would dress up their ponies and ride down the road to a neighboring place hoping for a handout. Ponies in long pants are pretty funny looking. I think the ponies enjoyed it though. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile
I start chomping at the bit about the second week of October. We also decorate the yard, sometimes with a graveyard, sometimes just bones. Funny thing though, as soon as I think the trick or treaters are done, and the bigger ones who steal my pumpkins come out, I start taking doen everything. That means lites, pumpkins, bones, all of it, down.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile
The only thing I like about Halloween is watching my daughter get her house all decorated. She even has some kind of movie that shows on the outside of her house. We live in the country also and never have trick or treaters. But the grandkids bring the great grandbabies by so we can see their costumes. Always elabrate, homemade not store bought. I usually make some popcorn balls or something. Just read about making kettle corn on another topic. May do that this year and do a baggie full. Sure would be easier than making balls.
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  3:13:15 PM  Show Profile
One Halloween my brother in law dressed up like the headless horseman. He is a very big man and had a very big black horse. He rode through the back streets of town at a run. just enough so people would get a glimse of him. It was the talk of the town. There was some teeny boppers in the cematary, I couldn't see much but we sure heard a lot of screaming. Hee Hee Hee.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  4:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Laura! that is sooooo coool! I would love to see him do that. Ask him to do it again and take some pics...or video and put on the internet lol

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  04:13:44 AM  Show Profile
I decorate the house about a week before halloween with the more creeepy stuff. I collect witches so they stay out all year long. I celebrate halloween and Samhain both. For Samhain i have a " dumb suppper " for my grandpa and dad that are dead and will go light candles on graves of all the kitties i have buried in the yard .( i have 5 that have passed away over last 7 years . ) For halloween i always dress up and hand out candy . I always try to do a "theme" of sorts. I was anubis one year and horus the next. I like being a witchy fortuneteller and sat up a gazebo and table and all. KIds in neighborhood have come to expect it. Very few people do anything in my neighborhood for kids. I give out some candy but i also go to dollar tree and get a doz books and put them in with the candy. Kids get a chance to pick candy or a book.

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I have never heard of Samhain, please explain further. I think if I am getting this, its like Day of the Dead in Mexico, which is also my Bday! lol. What kind of fortune telling do you do? That would be fun to add to my gig.

Laura, I would love to see the headless horseman, what a hoot!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  10:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kim. Samhain is celebrated probaly 100's of differnet ways--depending on one's pagan path. It is originally a celebration of the last grain harvest with emphasis on divination and one's ancestors. The celts saw it as the beginning of thier new year. I enjoy reading some goddess stones on Samhain that i had made many years back and I will occasionally read for friends. Alot of people read tarot but i never found a deck that i felt was for me. For the neighborhood kids though --they just love to see the fortune teller stuff. I have a huge witch doll that i sat in the chair and i have an agate ball --rather than crystal. I will spread a deck of reg playing cards around like in a tarot reading. I use to put the gazebo up i used for merchanting at events and it added to the whole effect. Last year i didnt go all out and I missed it. This year i will make up for it .The kids are going to the neighborhoods with more people giving out candy. We are a nice neighborhood but the older folk mostly on our street dont give out candy. Seems kinda a shame. We have about 4 houses total that give out candy :( I did a witches tea party theme one year and some of my pagan friends came and it was cool for the kids to see us all dressed up having a tea party. The neighbors all know i am pagan --a witch --and are all respectful about it --cept one . They just think i am weird period!!

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  10:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Lisa, thanks for telling us about it all. I love learning about Goddesses, and I really like "weird" women...
You sound like so much fun! I wish I come come visit ya.
Linda

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  10:41:07 AM  Show Profile
I just got a crystal ball this summer. Love it! I bought my son one that is blue but is not totally clear. It has lots of "bubbles" in the glass. It sets on a pedestal that has a small light in it so it glows and casts a beautiful bubbled blue cast on the ceiling.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  10:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
T, it really sounds cool!

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Linda --i definetely am a "weird woman " :P I love crystal balls starmeadow. I like the bubbles in the lead crystal. I will get a pic of mine --it a solid agate that is polished and then is full of quartz crytal on the inside.

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, sound pretty neet, as do you. Wish we lived closer. Back to the fortunes, what do you tell the kids? I am thinking of copying you.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Kim -- I tell the kids to pick a card and there is a treat bag for each # on the card in a big plastic cauldron.. I have extra bags i keep hidden and replace the one they choose. If they ask what the stuffed witch sees in the ball--i tell them she sees what a good kid they are and that they love halloween .. I keep it to stuff that isnt a "reading " at all.

Edited by - tribalcime on Aug 26 2008 3:17:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  06:55:50 AM  Show Profile
ok, thanks.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  1:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Well, my son loves anything to do with the Halloween movies. He has quite a collection of the movie stuff, and this year he and a friend are flying out to California for a big Halloween movie convention. I think some of the cast members will be there too. Anyway, if you have ever seen the movies, my son decorates our yard like Haddenfield, so it has a big Welcome to Haddenfield sign, and makes it look really creepy. He dresses up like Michael Myers and the people in our neighborhood LOVE to come to our house because it's the "Halloween" house! It's so much fun! I have to buy tons of candy because so many people come to our house. They even want to have their pictures taken in the front yard, LOL! I love it!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  09:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Carol, can you send us a picture?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  09:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I love halloween type movies--but more the kid-scary instead of the totally frightening adult ones :) It is almost time to get them all out and start watching. I still love all the old munsters and addams family tv show ones. I broke down last year and bought them

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Happy Halloween! My neighbors are stuffing life size "people" and sitting them on their porch swing with huge plastic pumpkins there too. It' already feeling like Halloween here! I saw some orange lights for $2.99 the other day...I'll have to get some of them. Last couple years I had purple lights out for Halloween. We put up our big 5 ft store bought scare crow days ago. It is for fall...can stay till Christmas :-)
Around here Halloween runs right into Christmas...decorations come up so early. Thanksgiving is decorated for some places but not most.
I love Halloween! The stores have the new decorations out and I'll get some new ones on the 1st of Oct.

One day at a time by the grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Daisydu
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Becky
Rock Hill South Carolina
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Since this time of year my fireplace isn't in use. I laid down orange lights, then cotton batting and then skulls. I put some of the lights inside of the skulls. I added snakes, spiders, and a headless barbie, and put the barbie head on the damper hook. It looks like it's suspended in air. It's really cool looking when the room is dark.

Loving a simple life in the country!
www.twistedfencepost.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  5:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I have my classroom decorated already!! My students love it. I add something to it every day, which the kids find exciting. of course, I will never get to take anything down, so the decorations will be there until June.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Halloween Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page