peacemama5
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

mary
rochester ny
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile
I put some flea medecine on my Wonderful dog Keena yesterday and she is sick. I called the vet because she is panting and pacing and he poor eyes are swollen. they told me to give her benadryl and she seems to be calming down but I am so worried about her. anybody have any other ideas other than to never give her flea medecine again. Mary

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry that your dog is not feeling well. Our pet's sure do steal our hearts. I don't know what to do about her not feeling well, but I can send you the very best of wishes that she feels better soon. Please let us know how she is doing.

Farmgirl #170

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
what flea med did you use? bathe her very well.

Did this start immediately or today? If it didn't start immediately, it is probably something else. You need to call the maker of the flea med and talk to them about it.

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Georgia Girl on Aug 21 2008 3:10:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree- Give her a bath immediatly. Use Dawn dish washing soap as it is anti oil. The flea medicine seaps down the hair and absorbs through the follicle. I am not sure if you used the stuff that you can buy at department stores/grocery stores but my vet said to never use that stuff. Also if your dog is wearing a flea collar you should remove that.

I would try to get her to drink water if at all possible. I hope she feels better soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Mary, I agree with Alee. I would give her a bath immediately. Maybe every day for three or four days in a row. Keep us posted on how whe is doing.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Not sure what you used but you should NEVER use flea meds from walmart or other similar stores. You should always buy you meds through the vet.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  4:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
One good bath will do the trick. The meds are actually absorbed into the oil glands so they are already in the body. You are just bathing him to remove what is still on the skin to keep more from being absorbed.

You definitely should never buy the stuff from the store. We have had animals come into the vet in comas, with neurological problems, and other issues from the store stuff. If you did use one from the vet and your dog had a reaction, try a different kind. They are all made from different products. I have a friend who can't use advantage on her white dog because it makes the skin raw but has no problem with frontline.

~Denise~

Go to Top of Page

peacemama5
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

mary
rochester ny
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  5:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your concern and help. I bathed her and gave her the benadryl. Gave her lots of ice water. She seems to be doing much better. I have always used frontline on her and this year I didn't. I used a Sargents gold that said compare to frontline. Big mistake. I'll never do that again. The vet said if she is not better tommorow to bring her in. I feel so guilty I should have known better. Mary
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  6:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh MAry...you didn't know...we're all trying to cut back and do more with less.....we all know you would never hurt your dog...that is obvious...I'm sure she'll be fine. I have always used Frontline on all my dogs and never had a reaction from any of them over the years and they were all different types and sizes. I'm sure she'll be fine but yeah...throw that stuff away and thanks for sharing...any one of us could have done the same thing hoping we could save a few dollars....you protected a bunch of other dogs by sharing your info....give her our love!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  6:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Mary, you didn't know, don't beat yourself up ok? You pup will be ok I think. My dog is allergic to wasp stings and I have to give her benedryl every summer. Any one of us would have done the same thing. Hug your doggy for me

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peacemama5
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

mary
rochester ny
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:02:41 PM  Show Profile
annika and Sandra, thank you so much. I feel better already just hearing your kind words. I am going to call Sargents tommorow and give them a piece of my mind. you both made me feel alot better and a appreciate it. Love and peace Mary
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
Don't feel guilty at all. Seargent's is a name people trust, lots of people use it, lots of people have problems but they are still able to sell it. I don't understand why though. You need to call them and report it. They will want you to mail them the remaining tubes. I would also call and report the problem to the FDA. If people keep reporting it, it will eventually get pulled so this doesn't happen to other people.

~Denise~

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  9:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! Poor puppy! Mary, how could you know your puppy would react that way to a product that touts itself as being the same as the product she's never had a problem with? I'm always buying the generic equivalent of things since they are cheaper and I would have done the same. It sounds to me like the company deceived you by claiming it was similar to Frontline. Shame on them! I hope both you and Keena have a good night tonight and things are back to normal tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  05:26:36 AM  Show Profile
After my cat had a very bad reation to a Heartz flea collar, i try to avoid all the regular store flea/tick remedies. They are far cheaper, but these bad reactions we see aren't worth the pain.

since i'm not a vet, i wonder what the true difference is and why so many animals react to the cheaper meds.

so sorry

Banadryl is a miracle worker! It's great for bee stings too

Hope your pup heals quickly

Go to Top of Page

peacemama5
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

mary
rochester ny
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Goodmorning All, my baby is much better today. We were up until about 4 pacing and panting. she layed down about 4. The swelling is gone in her face, the panting has stopped and she is sleeping soundly. i wish I was. but there are always chores to do. I am off to call Sargents and the FDA is a great Idea to. They should know how harmful this product is. as for me I am done with generics for my pets. They are worth all the money in the world. Thanks for all the support. Love and peace Mary
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update! I'm so glad she is doing better....ahhhh...we can all breathe easier now and hopefully you'll catch up on your sleep and maybe squeeze in a nap! Have a much better day! And a great weekend! Again thanks for warning the rest of us.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  3:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the update. I am glad she is doing better. I would be curious what Sargents and the FDA says after you call. Please keep us posted.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

peacemama5
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

mary
rochester ny
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  3:28:13 PM  Show Profile
The FDA called me right back after I left a message and gave me 2 state numbers to call. they were very concerned because of the way the packaging says compare to frontline and were going to check it out. I have 2 new numbers to call. They will put a warning out on it and contact Sargents. I was very surprised at this much response. sargent's on the other hand took my info and said that the director of consumer affairs would call me back today. well it's 6:30 PM and no call.Maybe they are giving me some time to cool down since I made it clear to them I was calling the FDA and the state Attorney General to complain about false advertising. You don't want to mess with Mama's babies. Love and peace Mary
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
You go girl!!!!

~Denise~

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  4:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that Keena is feeling better today. And thank you for following through with this. I can't believe the callous disregard for our 4 legged family members that so many people/companies have. That's good news that the FDA is willing to get involved. Keep us posted as to any other developements and thanks for spreading the word about this product.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  4:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Girls, my daughter is a Vet and she tells me that it is so important to NEVER use those flea meds that you can by "over the counter", they can be fatel to your pet. Please, use only those recommended by your Vet.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

Edited by - downbranchroad on Aug 22 2008 4:54:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yay Mary! I am SOO glad you called! I googled that flea formula after reading this thread and the results are scary! You are not the only one who was tricked by the "Compare to Frontline" blurb and your poor baby was not the only one to suffer. I am so glad you state is taking this so seriously! It's so nice when a concern is taken seriously.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peacemama5
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

mary
rochester ny
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  05:17:54 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the google info. I just couldnt believe the amount of complaints or damage. I will be taking this much further. All of the poor dogs that suffered Peace and love Mary
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My doggy is sick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page