Page: of 3

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  8:23:51 PM  Show Profile
I would like our members input on how our site has been progressing lately. Please feel free to email me privately regarding any questions or concerns that you may have. We want to keep "our place" a comfortable place for you to hang out.

My door is always open, so to speak! Just click on my name for the email link. Thanks!

Edited by - Clare on Oct 30 2005 8:25:35 PM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  9:50:32 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'm sort of a newbie compared to some of the gals here, but I have to say I love this site. Mostly I love the encouragement when I want to take on something new (painting this living room...thanks Clare and others)...buying my first spinning wheel (thanks Shirley), and good recipes and helpful hints.
It also feels good to "talk" with others with like interests. I was raised in the city and never felt I really fit in there. Now with my own farm, it just feels good to know there are others that like and do things like I do (translation: maybe I'm not crazy afterall)!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  02:58:11 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy being here but it's strayed off topic quite a bit lately. The non-Mary Jane, non-farming topics add up quickly. I don't think there's anything wrong with those topics except that this is not the place for them.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  04:35:05 AM  Show Profile
I think you know my thoughts Clare...

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  05:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Clare (and Everyone),
I strongly agree with Robin: A comfortable place to communicate and a plethora of specific knowledge and personal advice.
However, not having all the time in the world, I used to enjoy the fact that this was a farm(girl)-life specific site, so I didn't need to waste time and energy on finding the topics that I was actually looking for.
Recently this didn't really seem to apply anymore. I was under the impression that the site got flooded with general decorating (makeover)and "taste" issues, blanketing oppinions, generalizing "what are you doing" questions, .....
A ray of hope was your (?) call for a better focus on farm life related topics a few weeks ago, where you (?) reminded people that there were tons of other sites for all that "other" stuff. Your "call to order" didn't have much effect.
I must admit that I got frustrated a lot of times and gave up when having to dig through all that "polling" that flooded the site until I could get to a true Farmgirl Connection.
If this continues to go down the "wishy-washy" path, I will ceratinly regret it, but look for a better place to connect to farmgirls.

From this hour I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman

Edited by - realme52 on Oct 31 2005 05:52:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  06:29:13 AM  Show Profile
I see this as a big dinner party -- or maybe supper around the table with friends. I don't understand the idea of limiting our conversations -- that is, only discussing 'farmgirl' topics or 'farm' topics. What defines a farmgirl topic?

Each of us brings our own ideas, experiences, interests to the table, and that's what makes it fun. Just as your attention could wander if a dinner conversation goes in a direction of less interest, you can snap back into it when 'your' topic comes up again. Not all of us live on a farm, remember, and that is not a 'requirement' for being a Farmgirl.

Edited by - katie-ell on Oct 31 2005 06:58:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile
I love this site. I come here every day to "see" what has been going on in my Farmgirl friends lives. I have learned so much from the wise and knowledgeable women on this site. I admit that there are alot of topics that don't involve farming, etc. BUT -- that's how we get to know each other and connect. If we were all sitting around talking in person I'm sure that we wouldn't just talk about farm stuff.

This is like a buffet lunch -- we can choose what we want to read and what we don't.

Clare -- you and MJF are doing a great job. Thanks for helping to make this a fun place to all of us to come visit.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  08:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Kay, I like your "buffet lunch" description. I agree with this...I pick and choose what is of interest to me.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile
Here's something to think about. The guidelines for what's appropriate to this site are clearly written out. If we decide to ignore what's already written, and rudely ignore Clare when she updates the guidelines, how do we justify our actions? I'm not looking for an answer. This is food for thought.

There are other boards for topics that aren't covered here. We wouldn't go to a decorating or spiritual board and discuss shoveling manure there. We should show Clare, the other moderators and everyone else at MJ's Farm the same respect.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  09:08:07 AM  Show Profile
We are just people chatting, I don't think anyone means any disrespect to anyone. I understand that this is a "farmgirl" site but I know any farmgirl has more on her mind than the daily chores. The buffet/dinner table is the way to go. There certainly are topics here that I do not join in on because they don't relate or I'm not interested and they are, actually some of them farm realted topics and "barnyard buddies" I have no farm and therefor no farm animals so I have almost no inerest in that topic but I wouldn't vote it off since there so many how are interested. But like I said, I seriously don't think anyone means any disrespect.

* The world is full of colorful people and being on the internet is reaching out to all these colorful people, you are bound to get some color.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  09:09:44 AM  Show Profile
The reason I have grown to love this site is because of the lack of friction and the abundance of tolerance and sharing.

I feel, with time, that anyone not interested in "farmgirl" topics or discussions, or in the original intent and essence of MaryJane's outlook, will indeed wander away to places that feed their souls. And rightly so. In all things of life, we travel through and stop where we feel at home.

For those here who ask and wonder - what is MaryJane's outlook? She says in her book, she believes in the religion of each other (on page 69 she says she is a member of the Church of Each Other) and in being positive and helpful, and in being willing to lend a hand. She is the model we should look to.

So, let's pledge to keep this site on the high road. Each one of us can participate but not take over. Each one of us can give kind words and ignore things that irritate us. Clare was asked to help with this effort long ago, and she has kept her side of the bargain.

In MaryJane's most recent magazine, on page 53, she writes this:

"A farmgirl wants a world that is sane, and just, and clean, and is willing to do her part to make it so."

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 31 2005 09:26:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Well said...

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I am perfectly happy with the conversations. It does seem like everyone has come in from the barn/fields at noon to sit down at the dinner table and enjoy each others company by chatting away.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I'm new here and I love it. I don't live on a farm but I still have the same likes, dislikes, projects, questions, dreams as many farmgirls on this site. I think it's natural to stray off topic. Riding tangents are usually when the best ideas are born & friendships are made. I agree with the dinner table mentality. Also, as a new person, I was extremely excited...posting like crazy the first few days...because I couldn't believe that I had found this wonderful place full of creative, inspiring women! Now, I've relaxed and gotten a better feel for the site. I spend more time reading it than writing, and try to only write when I have something to contribute. I'm sure other newbies have gone through the same thing. I think the flurry of general questions & off topic posts are par for the course. I don't mind sifting, in fact...I have found gems of wisdom, inspiration and great things I otherwise may have missed.

I do understand that there needs to be some perameters...but I can't think of a way to set them for something as enormous as a farmgirl's heart.

Thank you for working so hard to make this a warm, welcome place.

Judes
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  11:22:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the "dinner table" type discussion we have going here. It is relaxed and a comfortable place to let your hair down. Maybe some of the things that have been discussed, like home decorating, maybe we need a another section to put them under - maybe home & garden. It seems to be an important topic to many of the gals on the site. Just like Judes, us newbies, do tend to post quite a bit in the beginning because we want to be part of the discussion, but just like her, I have calmed down and only post when I think necessary. I skip the items that don't interest me and go to the ones that do. I like reading everyone's opinion on everything, if I think it is long winded, I just scroll ahead - no harm/no foul. I think everyone is polite and considerate on this site. I have been part of many other sites and left one because individuals were cruel and rude. This is a wonderful bunch and I love reading it everyday - no matter what the subject is.

Okay - I've gotten pretty long here, time to stop

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  11:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Off-topic posts and those where nobody has anything to offer or just doesn't care, soon find themselves well buried in the archives.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Katie-all and Sqrl, we are real women looking for real answers to everyday questions and happenings. I love this site, I'm here daily reading anything that I feel connected too, and sometimes it's a place to share or vent, but that's what we do, and it makes this place feel like home, I"m totally comfortable chatting about anything here!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your input. We are reviewing things now, and will get back to you with an update. If you have any further comments, please address them to me via email. Thank you.

Edited by - Clare on Oct 31 2005 12:37:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  5:26:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't think the newbies should worry about posting too much. I love to read what everyone has to say, be it shoveling maneure or how beautiful a blue robin's eggs are. I think the topies are laid out quite well and I can pick and choose what I want to read and respond to easily.

I also think it's important to remember that not everyone has outlets for discussions. Not everyone lives near ladies of like mind and even those who live surrounded by tons of people can still feel alone and disconnected. Here, we can come and feel free to be ourselves and know someone cares. That's invaluable to me.

And it's uncomfortable to think that we should have to decide if what we want to say is "farmgirl" enough or not. Maryjane said, appropriately, that "farmgirl" is a condition of the mind. (I'd add heart and soul too) When we start to censor ourselves, it takes a lot of the pleasure out of free discourse.

If this isn't the best place for someone, she should feel free to move on and find a more compatible site. But for now, please don't change things.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  5:28:29 PM  Show Profile
ooops. Your post wasn't up when I wrote mine, Clare. Just noticed it.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  7:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Gals,

I happened to see my first MaryJanesFarm at Walmart and I was hooked. Why? Because I loved the ambiance of the catazine, magalog. It encapsulated the heart I had for living in my log house, raising my chickens, and having my 3 large dogs. I didn't know exactly where I was headed but after reading MJF, I could see that MJ had the vision to be able to put it in descriptive written form. That is why I like to go to the forums and read what other farmgirls or farmgirl wannabees write. I am hoping to share in the same flavor I see that MJ has. I have no desire for clones but I like the same flavor. Then after I visited MJ's Farm, I saw the treadle sewing machine, the beeswax candles, the sturdily made clothes lines, the outdoor tents sitting on sturdy wooden platforms, the tree swing, the "chandeliers" from cute short garden fencing with jam jar candle holders and I saw the same flavor and ambiance that I noticed in that first magazine/catalog. It is that thing that I enjoy. So I guess it is that like-mindedness that I like to hear about in the forums. If it goes in another direction, then I wouldn't make the choice to continue. Cheers, Kathylou

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  11:52:54 AM  Show Profile
This posting of Clare’s prompted an unexpected sideline huddle here at the farm the last couple of days. We did promise you’d hear back from us as soon as we had the time to wrap our hearts and minds around it. Well, going back and reading through mountains of past postings had an unexpected effect on us. We became downright joyous! We felt inspired, sheltered and welcomed, not to mention educated on all manner of things; from mules to menstruation!

We’d like to thank everyone for their responses. In addition to the postings here, Clare shared with us e-mails sent to her from Meadowlark, BlueEggBabe, BlueApple, Linda Houston, Aunt Jenny, The Houseminder, Bayoubunch, ThymeForEweFarm, Farrar Farmgirl, and Sleepless Reader. Thank you all for your opinions. And in keeping with the style of the forum, guess what? They were all over the map! No surprises there.

The whole exercise has prompted us to see the wear and tear that our growing forum has had on Clare and a few of our long-standing members.

Clare has asked for “more moderation from other moderators.” We couldn’t agree more. To that end, Carol is going to take on the title of moderator, as well as my daughter, Meggie, and our dear Cindylou. We promise to pay better attention to individual postings and to jump in more often with helpful guidelines, nudges, and nods. Given Carol and I just polished off two more books, she’ll have time to help keep topics organized--maybe even coming up with new ones. As of yesterday, Kate finally got a handle on all the mail lists. Sunny and I pitched in too. It was a tremendous amount of work and the next phase will be upon us before we know it--what to do with the mail lists as they grow? We do in fact have a plan for that! The mail lists are a good example of what can happen when we take the time to jump in and help. After this last hiccup, we promise to stay on top of things but more importantly we want to continue to provide shelter to the broad range of women that define “farmgirl.” Please know that we value each and every one of you!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  12:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Thanks for that Mary Jane.It's always wonderful to hear from our Doyenne. And I think I can say for every farm girl on here, WE thank YOU from the bottom of our collective hearts for the joy you have added to OUR lives, and that we appreciate all that you do for US in more ways than we can express!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  12:35:01 PM  Show Profile
I love ya Clare! Beating the drum for ya!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thanks to Mary Jane and her hard working crew for keeping us in line! Always a treat to hear from Miss Jane and there isn't enough words to express our graditute for forming such a wonderful place for us to gather. Can't wait for the new books! I would LOVE to see some new topics too, esp. a home for herbs!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  12:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you MaryJane, and the crew on the farm, and Clare and all of the wonderful women on this site. Love you all.....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Posse Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page