junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile
This, in the grand scheme of things, is really no big deal....it's just the principle. I brought my car into a service station nearby work for the oil/filter to be changed before 9:00 am today. I work until 5:00 pm and told the guy (manager or owner of station) that I would pick it up around 5:00. No problem, I'm pretty much a regular there and it gives them plenty of time to do a basic half hour job. Five am rolls around so I walk there to pick up my car. I noticed that the car wasn't in the lot...only to find that they just started the work, it's on the lift. I said the the manager, sarcastically, "well, must have been a really busy day!. He smiled and said it was crazy....it will be ready in 15 minutes. I sat there fuming and not saying anything and finally the work was done. He didn't charge me for a couple of little things, which would have added another $9.00 on the bill, but I did pay for the oil change which was $34.55. The thought did occur to me while I was waiting that I shouldn't be charged at all, and maybe I should speak up. Well....I didn't. On hindsight, what I should have done was to say that I had an appointment at 5:30 and this messed me up. I brought the car in early this morning and you had all day to have it ready. At the very least, I shouldn't have to pay for this at all. As a manager, this would have been good public relations. I'm sure that he was counting on me not to make a big stink, and really speak up....and he was right. I usually have a big mouth, but mostly in inappropriate times. When the time is right to speak up, I blew it. They could have at least called me to say they were running late (they had my work number). It's just a typical example of how mechanics have little respect for women and try to take advantage. I'm sure if it were a man, the manager wouldn't have charged him....and I'm sure a man wouldn't take this garbage. I feel like writing a letter to the manager just to vent my feelings....but that's probably a dumb idea. At least I would feel a little better about myself. There's another station across the street from them, I should take my business there, even though they're more expensive. Thanks for letting me vent! :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  3:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I asked hubby who is a mechanic ( and used to work at a place that JUST did oil changes ) he said it may have been convenient for you to drop your car off but don't always expect it to be ready when you get there at 5. Your car will not be put before people who come in and wait. They will always come first because they are there, you are not. He said next time, tell them you will be there at noon if your lunch is at one or so, go get your car. He said that it was nice of the guy not to charge the $9 but you would have still been expected to pay the rest. He assured me that the same would go for a man or a woman.

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Judy-

That is too bad that you had such a bad experience! I would call the manager tomorrow, explain the situation to remind him, explain that you are a regular customer. Give him a chance to make the situation right. Don't hint around though, tell him flat out that you really don't feel that you should have been charged and you feel that he should have contacted you since your appointment wasn't kept. Also tell him you feel like your next oil change should be on the house since you went through the effort to make an appointment and they did not respect that.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Awwww Judy, I sense your frustration and I am sorry this has happened to you. My husband does not work for a quick lube he is at a dealership but it's the same type of things. As bad as it is and unfortunate for your delay these things happen, not very often but they do. Yes you should have been called and they should have let you know even though your car has been here all day it would not be ready on time. However Denise is right the waiters always get their cars put in front of the ones that are left there because they are there waiting. And yes you would be expected to pay however if you write a letter then he may give you a coupon for your next trip because he delayed your meeting. It would not hurt. Again I am sorry this happened to you - it does happen to the best of us. hugs

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my statement about mechanics not having respect for women. It was a gross generalization, and there are people who take advantage, regardless of what they do...so not to group all mechanics that way. As a matter of fact, there is one mechanic that does the the tuning up and all of the more involved work, that I've been taking my cars for many years. They are great, and have been honest and do good work. Unfortunately, they are about an hour away from where I now live...many moves since I first went there. I still go to them....but for oil changes, I just go for convenience...someone closer. There are many good mechanics out there. Again, I appologize.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Aug 19 2008 4:42:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:39:52 PM  Show Profile
And....thank you all for putting this into perspective for me. When you're angry, you don't always think straight which is why I posted for opinions. I feel better, and maybe I was a little too hard on the manager. Next time, like Denise suggested, I'll tell them I need my car around noon. :)

Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
Oh Honey you didn't offend at all. I totally agree with you how mechanics can be with women. I recently had to have my car in for repairs from the wreck and asked David to take care of it. I don't like dealing with many mechanics, they can treat women like idiots. I completely understand, so does David, he knows how some of them can be.

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Judy:
That would have pissed me off. Excuse my French! LOL. Sometimes I think I'm doing smart things like that, and it actually works out, but there are times, like your incident, it doesn't. I'd surely speak to the manager.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile
You did not offend me either, I was just trying to let you know how it is on the other end and give you some ideas. Bringing this to the manager's attention will just help him better his customer service for next time. again, hugs

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic An opinion..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page