Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 sheep for their wool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic sheep for their wool Next Topic  

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  08:48:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi to everyone,
I was wondering what kind of sheep people have for getting nice wool for spinning and knitting with. I am thinking of getting some but need to know what kind of sheep are the best for this.? any info would be appreciated!!!! Thanks Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile
hi Beverley,
It depends on what you like to knit or weave with... I started out with a spinner's flock. You want to check out the sheep's wool before you buy them...not all sheep of the same breed have the same type of wool. I have two Oxford's ewes and one of them has a soft silky longer wool...about 4-5 inches long and the other ewe has a downy type wool. Both came from the same farm. I, myself prefer to spin Corriedale but each spinner will have a different breed. Some of my favorite fleeces are from cross bred sheep. Shetlands have nice wool but require some added work if they are double coated. You also want to look at size, temperment, what you can afford to feed them and what the nutritional requirements of that breed, how often do their hoofs need trimmed...or don't need trimmed. Can the breed withstand being outside all the time or do they need a barn or shed to stay in during bad weather. My come into the barn lot and barn every evening because of the coyotes here.
I use my courser wool for items that need to take the wear, like a rug. I use the finer, softer wool of the rambouillet and merino for baby items, socks, sweaters.
Go to the different breed's websites and read about the breed, then I would locate other people near you that raise sheep and talk with them. I talked to a shearer and he gave me good insite on who has good wool sheep and what wool sells for and what the buyers are wanting.
I know I didn't give you a answer...just brought up more questions. Good luck on your journey.
I have about 50 head now. Started out with 6. All are like pets, and individuals like people.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beverley:
I agree with KeeperofthePast that it matters what you intend to do with your wool, but I find I use what I have for all sorts of things and find new items to make with my wool and "make do". We raise Texels and Coopworths and I got the Texels for the meat quality so they are not really known for outstanding spinning wool, but I find it very useful for sweaters and outerwear. Coopworth is a great breed for handspinning, socks, mittens, hats. It's soft and has nice crimp, etc. They are a medium sized sheep (as are the Texels) and easier to handle.

If you're just keeping a few ewes and not breeding and just want their wool, the world is your oyster...go check out the breeds and have at it! You could get one of each! Border Leicesters have awesome wool, so do Targhees, Merino, Columbia, Corriedale, Clun Forest...gosh, the list goes on and on. Icelandics, Polypays, Shetland, Finn...

Facilities? We don't have much besides a few sheds (no barn) for our sheep. They can get out of the wind/snow/sun. We get very little rain here. Sheep are very hardy and adaptable...well, mine are anyhow. We do dry lot our sheep just as Keeper does at night close to the house because of coyotes.

There are so many variables regarding care and I find a lot of it is based on environment--wet or dry conditions will determine a lot, hoof care, worming needs, etc. A medium sized breed won't take as much feed as a larger breed...all things you might take into consideration when you start looking to buy.

My suggestion would be to Google "breeds of sheep" and it will bring up some great pages to peruse. Have fun looking! All of the breeds have their attributes...that's why there are so many!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for all your info. I live in michigan and I have small sheds for them to go into at night. I have 3 goats right now , they are nigerians and I just love to have them around. We have 8 and a half acres so I know i have room for few but I am not looking to get a big bunch so I want to get the ones I really want for spinning and knitting and that will take the cold in the winter. I do live in the upper part of lower michigan so it can get kinda cold here. My goats have done just fine so far with the cold we have gotten. I do want a smaller breed just so it will be easier to keep up with. and I am just beginning to look around at what kind I want. I am in no hurry to get them just yet so I have plenty of time. Thanks again for the insites. Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  12:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Beverley, it sounds like just about any breed you would consider could handle the cold, considering they're going to have a nice wool coat on them! Since you're wanting smaller varieties I would shy away from Columbias...they have gotten way too big if you ask me. Keeper mentioned Oxfords--I have only seen a few in person and they were HUGE...as in Suffolk size. I think they weighed about 380 pounds each (rams). I can't flip something that big over to do their feet or hold them to give shots so again, things to consider! Romney is another breed that has exceptional wool and are nice sized sheep and quite hardy too.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  2:23:05 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Jami about size really matters. My Oxfords are very gentle and i can walk up and worm them but they hate being sheared and my shearer tells me he hates to shear them. They fight him every step of the way. I have shetlands and they are really neat little animals...they wag their tails when being petted. Good luck in your search. I too like Romney wool...I plan on buying a couple to join the flock.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Beverly, all the advice you have rec'd is right on the nail. You will find sheep addictive, I'm warning you! Look around your area and see if there is a spinning/knitting guild you can join because they can be so helpful to you. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one sheep producer in the group. Good luck.
Teresa Sue

Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile
If you're looking for a small "Down" breed Beverly, you might want to look into the "Olde English Miniature Soutdown Babydolls" (or, just plain "Babydolls") They are the ORIGINAL sized Southdowns, (though there is considerable conflict between the Babydoll registries and the American Southdown registry as to whether or not that is true). They are small sheep (though heavier built than their small counterparts), pretty docile, make EXCELLENT pets and can produce well on a good pasture without any extra fuss (grains, medicated feeds etc...) They are very heatlhy little sheep and don't seem to suffer from disease like many of the "Modern" breeds do. They also don't require a lot of room. You can house 2 or 3 Babydolls in the same space that ONE larg breed sheep would require.

Their wool, like any other sheep breed, varies in quality as well. Your area is more plentiful for this particular breed, and the people there have been raising them MUCH longer than the breeders here in Ca, so you might find some that were bred specifically for wool production-- and at more reasonable prices too. Just another something to think about! Good luck on your quest!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  7:49:25 PM  Show Profile
I love my Icelandics...I have had alot more but only have two right now..mother and daughter. They are very friendly and have nice wool too..they do need to be sheared twice a year, and have a double coat..which I think is a plus...you can have a downy undercoat for baby things, card it together for outerwear, or spin a nice warp yarn for weaving, or your own needlepoint yarn even wiht the outer coat...And they are fairly small sheep too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4196 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4196 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  04:57:21 AM  Show Profile
I have two border leicester and shetland cross sheep. I don't plan on breeding, so one is a wether and one a ewe. The wether, I think, actually has nicer wool then the ewe. But I am a beginner, and don't know much! I got this breed, cause they were 10 miles away. I knew the gal and just asked if she had any for sale. I am enjoying learning to spin and needle felt.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:34:44 AM  Show Profile
oooh border leister is so silky and shiny!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic sheep for their wool Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page