Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:26:27 PM  Show Profile
How do you clean mold in a bathroom or basement without using bleach or other harmful chemicals? Thanks girls!

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Vinegar. Straight white vinegar is tops for killing mold! Just lay a rag along the area and soak in vinegar. If it is on a rise I have a nifty way of getting the vinegar to stay. Tape a rag to the wall with duct tape, making sure to duct tape over the whole thing except a little at the top (where you will pour in the vinegar. It should look like a big silver blob on your wall. Then pour in the vinegar. I like to let it set over night. Then in the morning remove duct tape and vinegar rag. Scrub a bit, but the mold should be killed. If there is a bit of a residual stain you can "bleach" it out with some hydrogen peroxide. Do the same method with the duct tape as before, but with peroxide. I hope that helps!

Oh and also, if you then re-seal your bathroom tiles with a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil, you should get less mold growth. The beeswax/mineral oil should be mixed to easy spreadablity and will need to be reapplied after every vigorous cleaning or every 4-6 weeks. You should be able to just wipe clean the shower after you apply it. Also don't apply it on any surface that you will be stepping on!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee! You are always so helpful and on top of things! I truly appreciate you getting back to me with such useful information! Gold star for you and an A++++++++ Can you tell I am a teacher getting back into school mode?!

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cool! I always loved getting stars! And gold is the best!! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  05:49:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try this too!! I was getting to the point that I just thought mold had taken up permenent residence in the showers because no matter what I did...it came back with a vengence!!!

Jamie
P.s. Happy Hump Day Gals!!!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:20:16 AM  Show Profile
I have mold grwoing under my basement steps, which is in my room.
Our water backflowed in and I could smell it.. ugh it was terrible! I haven't got in there to clean it out yet, but did use some FreshWave to clear the air. They are little gel beads that take the smells out of a room. Worked great and now I will try the vinegar to get in there and clean.
I hate the smell of bleach. When Iuse it in the bathroom, and I'm done, I can't smell anything for a few hours! It's just horrible. I even got myself a face mask for when I used the bleach. I won't have to now.
Thanks Alee!
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mold Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page