Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Pictures of some of my very old cookbooks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pictures of some of my very old cookbooks Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:39:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a lot of these, and I just love getting them out and looking at them. Wish I had a place other then a drawer to keep them out. They would all look so nice on display. But alas my house is just not big enough. I found a lot of them at Richard's Aunts when we took her house apart. And a lot at garage sales over the years. I'll take another picture sometime of more of them. The colors and the graphics were so much nicer then.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Nancy....those are beautiful and in such great condition! I have a lot of my Mother's but they don't go back that far. they are more retro/50's type like the Jello paperback cookbooks etc. Mine aren't as old and aren't in as good shape as yours. I think it's because my folks moved alot....I think it takes it's toll on belongings. There's a lot to be said for staying one place. Yes...it would be nice if you could display them because they are stunning!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  08:05:03 AM  Show Profile
I, too, enjoy looking through the old cookbooks and pamphlets. What I notice is the science of nutrition that is touted today is nothing new. "Smart eating" was encouraged as a way of life in cookbooks from the 1800s! And just like pattern envelopes, the illustrations are mini bits of art, because that's exactly what they were - each hand drawn. Thanks for sharing what I know is a small piece of your collection. Perhaps you'll find time to show more!

ea
Tie One On...an apron, of coure!
www.apronmemories.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:06:51 AM  Show Profile
oh nancy ... i love those .. i've been collecting cookbooklets for many years .. and there truly are too many to display .. perhaps just choose a few at a time to 'lay about'. i have a few from the 1800's .. those i treasure the most .. but they are not nearly as fanciful as the victorian ones. yours are gorgeous! do you ever cook from the recipes in them? xo

i've also started collecting Kentucky Cookbooks.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I know you have a BA-ZILLION of these little booklets. I love the art work in them.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  2:15:14 PM  Show Profile
i just love looking at your pictures......what i'd give for an attic like yours!! anyway, i love old cookbooks/booklets, too. i have one that is called "cakes husbands love"....now isn't that funny?!!
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  2:29:31 PM  Show Profile
You always get the most beautiful things. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. I always look forwards to seeing what you got.
Take care,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, the growing season book .... can you tell me a little about it. I love the cover. I thought I might try to find one. If my grandson doesnt like it - from the looks on the outside, I think I would!! I love all your pics and finds. The Rag Doll caught my eye!
I do love the thrift stores and yard sales!!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile
You just reminded me, I have a whole box full of old cookbooks I got out of my mother in law's house - I need to find a "me" day to sit and go through them!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pictures of some of my very old cookbooks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page