Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Sayings : For Crying Out Loud In A Bucket
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sayings : For Crying Out Loud In A Bucket Next Topic  

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile
What are some of your favorite expressions / sayings heard over the years?

A few I remember are :

"Town Butter" --- describing butter, in the margarine stick form, not from your own dairy cows

"She's from the cornbread side of the table" -- born and raised on the farm with pride

"Cabbaged On" --- describing finding something you want and latching on before it's on.

"For Crying Out Loud In A Bucket" --- when at your wit's end in frustration

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Just the other day, I told someone "I'm getting off my high-horse". Now where did that one originate? In my situation it meant I was going to stop being superior to them. I had a couple of others in mind when I wrote this but now they escaped me. Senior moment-that's an expression I unfortunately have been needing to use lately!

"Let us greet with a song of hope each day"
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  1:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Linda, my father used to say, "For cryin' tears in a bucket!"

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:01:06 PM  Show Profile
here's one that has been in my family for a long time:
"Worry never got a rocking chair anywhere"
---------------
and then if we hadn't seen anyone in a long time we'd say "well..I aint seen you in a coon's age"
"--------------
another one was if someone was slick/sneaky or something like that we'd say "slicker than a greased pig"
--------------
then if we were wanting something that wasn't gonna happen..my dad would say things like "well, you are barking up the wrong tree"
------------
when someone would "fly off the handle" that meant they had lashed out in anger
---------------
We'd sometimes say "gosh you went hog wild now didn't ya"...meaning you did good..went and had a lot of fun be it shopping/finding a good deal or just plain having loads of fun.
-------------
when someone went "whole hog"..it meant they went all out/above and beyond..in food,decor or whatever.
----------------
To "Put on a mean feed" ...meant that you fed folks good.Like "gal you sure put on a mean feed!"
--------------
"Panties in a wad"..meant you'd gone and gotten yourself upset and pouty about something silly.
--------------
Like a bump on a log"..meant sitting being lazy
---------------
Talking to a brick wall...meant you weren't responding to the conversation as you should.
-----------------
"In one ear and out the other".... meant you were acting like you were listening, but you weren't.
---------------
Two peas in a pod"..just alike in thought and mannerism
---------------
When someone would come to visit you and they'd walk in the door...we'd sometimes say "Now aint you a sight for sore eyes"..actually meant "good to see you"
------------------
"Stomping grounds" meant it was where you grew up at.
-------------
there were quite a few words we used too
words like :
thing a ma jiggy, doo hicky, thing a ma bob..to describe something you couldn't think of the name of right at the minute.
You'd say something like "hey there can you hand me that doo hicky right there?"
-----------
Sometimes we'd say something like "stop running around like a chicken with your head cut off!"..that meant the person was confused or flustered with things.
----------
and to "chew the fat" meant you were talking alot about really nothing important.
---------------
and of course..."ya'll" always means you all or a couple of people.
------------
Lots more phrases of course that I've used in my life time...but that's a few of them. :0)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:12:16 PM  Show Profile
My girls and I know a lady who gets upset real easily and we always say we don't want to upset her so she won't get her "panties twisted!" Susan
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:22:03 PM  Show Profile
We used to say she got her knickers in a knot!

"Let us greet with a song of hope each day"
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  4:49:08 PM  Show Profile
We used to have a good friend that came pretty often and I would always have raspberry cobbler for him, he would say Miss Wilma that pie is so good it would make a rabbit hug a hound. He has done passed on now but I think of him often

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  6:06:35 PM  Show Profile
When something is really awesome, a friend of mine always says 'That really rocks my socks!'. I'm not sure the origin of the saying, but it makes me laugh everytime she says it!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  6:23:44 PM  Show Profile
My grandma used to always refer to a gal who was * ahem* ...loose....as "That gal is a ring-tail tooter!!!" We had no idea what she meant back then..but I do get a kick out of it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  04:10:58 AM  Show Profile
QUOTE: "another one was if someone was slick/sneaky or something like that we'd say "slicker than a greased pig"

Here in the Netherlands we say: "Slicker than an eal in a bucket of slime"
YUCK lol.

"As you become secure in God's love, you will discover that you need not surrender to the opinions and judgments of others. GOD IS FOR YOU!" ~
Unknown

http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  04:39:15 AM  Show Profile
My hubby's family is from KY and his dad is forever saying things like....

----cuter than a speckled pup
---dumb as a box of rocks
----finer than frog hair
----aint that a kick in the pants
---here's a quarter, go by a sense of humor
(that one was used when they were joking around and the receiver did not find it funny!
----a*s over applecart
---cart before the horse
I'm sure there are more... but having a brain fart right now. Dad in law and my dad are both from southern orientations and when they talk about certain things they add "d;s" to the end of their words.... for example:

"where we growd up".
or
" It was bad so I throwd it away"

I get such a kick out of it!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:43:46 AM  Show Profile
ohhhh .. my aunt leola usta exclaim: "i was more nervous than a chicken in high weeds" .. loved it!

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:18:48 AM  Show Profile
My grandma used to say "oh, my eye!" if someone was telling her something that she just didn't believe to be true. Many years ago, I was at a garage sale with a friend. The man there was very annoying and telling us things were worth rediculous prices. After a while, in exasperation, I tried to say, "oh, my eye!" but for some unknown reason, it came out, "oh, my a_ _!" I am not a cussing kind of girl and I was instantly mortified. My girlfriend quickly abandoned me and was found giggling hysterically in the car. I have never repeated grandma's saying since.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Reading all the replies made me laugh ---- good memories of expressions forgotten and enjoying those never heard.

A big thank you to everyone who shared.

A few others :

"Grandma was slow, but she was old" --- if someone was moving too slow

"She knows which side her bread is buttered on" --- someone who always goes with the better offer

"Land Sakes" ---- to express surprise or even sympathy

"He could talk a dog off a butcher's truck" --- very convincing person

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

Edited by - Aunt Clemys Farm Girl on Aug 12 2008 07:47:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile
I just learned a new one from the local newspaper. They posted mug shots of two women who had stabbed another woman in a bar fight, and the commenters to the online story just piled on insulting their appearance (they looked pretty rough). So the one guy says: "I'm not going to say those ladies are ugly, but they'd make a train take a dirt road."

I used to be partial to the phrase "hit and dragged by the ugly bus" but this is my new favorite!
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I have always hear "Nervous as a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs." That's one kind of nervous!!!!!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  1:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I thought of another one... My granny used to say (giggle) "oh Balls!" this was whenever she didnt believe something or was ticked off!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile
oh I thought of another one..alot of times when we kids would ask "what time is it?" my mom or dad would say "oh it's just a hair past a freckle"...ha
fun to read all of these expressions.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Now, my Pap was a sailor if you catch my drift, so when we would ask him what time it was he would reply "Half past a monkey's a##, a quarter to it's !@#$....needless to say, Mom didn't let us too far out of earshot when we were little!

Samantha

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:37:12 PM  Show Profile
"Looks like he/she fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down"

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
LOL!!!! That's great!

quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

"Looks like he/she fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down"

Jenny in Utah

Samantha

Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:19:05 PM  Show Profile
My grandfather used to say I was "vaccinated with a phonograph needle" since I (according to him!) talked a lot. My kids wouldn't even get that one. My mother-in-law kept saying it was "hotter than the hinges" (of you-know-where) this summer.
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  06:53:50 AM  Show Profile
When my Grandma was surprised, she would say, "you could have knocked me off the Christmas tree". ?? What do you suppose that ment?
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  09:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
"If it'd been a snake it woulda bit me!" - When something is so close you can't see it

My cousin's favorite saying - "Oh, fiddlesticks!"

God bless -
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #??? (to be filled in after I get my badge)
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Just to keep this in perspective, my folks are from the Carolina's, but raised me in California. I'm now back in N.Carolina...some of these are "california-ism's"

She looks like she was rode hard and put away wet - had a hard life

Cop a Squat- have a seat

Drop a lude, dude- RELAX

Gag a maggot! -something you say when your food is BAD!

Ain't bigger than a minute nut -a very tiny baby

I swannee in the river - my goodness

goodness gracious sakes alive--OH my goodness

You're having a pity party and no one showed up!- stop feeling sorry for yourself

would you like some cheese with that Whine? -stop whining

You get what you get and you don't have a fit- what i say to the boys when passing out food/toys/clothes etc.

case quarter-an actual quarter

quarter-any amount of change equalling 25 cents.

and it's not a saying exactly, but around here if you're looking a little pale or sickly, they'll say "piqued" like "peek-ed"...interesting.

finna go/fixnta go - getting ready to go

that was fun! I pulled from all the places I've lived, GA, TX, FL, NC, SC, VA, CA (there's more but it's boring)
P~

living a good neighbor life

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sayings : For Crying Out Loud In A Bucket Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page