Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How did you meet your husband?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How did you meet your husband? Next Topic
Page: of 2

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:11:30 PM  Show Profile
The first time I saw my hubby was in a picture. My BF had went out with him (to a New Years Eve party) and she was showing me pics. She said I should meet him cuz he's really sweet. I said he had a kind face...but would NEVER go out with a guy my friend was dating. She insisted that they werent, cuz there were no "sparks". That spring BF and I were at a local tractor pull and guess who was there with his John Deere! She intro'd us, but he was too busy changing weights to really say much so I thought he wasn't interested. Then a month latr we ran into eachother again at a fair (tractor pull), then again at a big party, then again at another fair(yep..another pull). The last time we "ran" into eachother was planned...I had it bad for this guy! Bowling Green, Ohio is famous for the big tractor pull there every August. BF and I decided to go. I specifically went to Tractor Supply a purchased a JOhn Deere sweat shirt to wear there. He was grinning from ear to ear when he saw me. We stayed up until 4 am the next morning talking on the tailgate of his truck. He asked me out and I remember telling him that I was a single mom, wasnt going to play any games, if he likes me then he dates me and me only! I thought was such a hot shot! Anyhoo, a year later (at Bowling Green) he asked for my hand in marriage and 7 tractor pull seasons later (that's how I know a year has went by, for those of you with hubby's & hobbies you know what I mean!) we are still hitched! Get it? Hitched? I crack myself up.....!!!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:24:50 PM  Show Profile
I met my hubby at work. He was an executive and I was an executive secretary....though not his. He kept calling me in my office asking me out and I kept saying no. I remember he sent me some flowers for my desk with a note asking me out again! I called him and finally said okay. We had a great time. We got engaged in March, 1978 and got married on August 19, 1978.........which will be 30 years on this coming Tuesday! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful stories everyone. I'm glad ya'll are so happy. Some of the stories are sad and the others are so uplifting. Me, I've been married and divorced three times. I would like a companion, but am definitely not sure about marriage.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Trust me Betty, I love my hubby but would NEVER marry again! Too much stuff!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:21:33 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I met while sitting at a table at the truck terminal that we drove for. I was trying to get a divorce from my abusive 'husband' and took up truck driving as a way to get out and make money. So I had been sitting all day in my truck and it was driving me nuts. My dog kept looking at a truck parked next to me and growling. I looked out and the guy in it was staring my way each time I looked! So I holed up in my sleeper but after about 8 hours I HAD to get out! So I gathered all my nerve and walked up to the building and walked in and out a few times, afraid to go sit at the table with the other drivers.

Finally I got the nerve and just plunked myself down by a guy in a western hat. But I had my back to the outside and decided to sit with my back against the wall. I moved and then looked into the grey eyes of the guy with the western hat. He looked back and that did it for both of us!

So we talked a while and then I went back to my truck. The next day I drove around the yard, looking for him but didn't see him so I left on my run. I got up to Bend, OR and it was snowing heavily and I was getting worried. I went to the then-truckstop called Jakes and parked. Then I called over the CB for info on the snow going north. A guy answered saying he was going that way too and I could follow him.

Then I looked out and saw HIM walking toward me. I yelled at him but he couldn't hear me over the idling engines so I whistled and he looked up. Other than that 2 week period afterward, we've been together and haven't been apart more than 36 hours!!

We've now been married for more than 2 years after 3 years together before that.

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Grace:
Your story was just beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart is touched. Thanks.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Dawn:
Like you, I love my husband, but never again. First, I'll never find another one like the one I have, and second- I am too spoiled for another man to put up with me.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love reading these!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  03:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I met my hubby for the first time at a local carnival...he was living with my best guy friend from childhood. So BGF thought hey, wouldn't they hit it off. Well, DH thought that I was a supa-biscuit at the time, so didn't say anything. Three months later, same friend tried again, this time of New Years Eve. Apparently, he knew we were the only two single people there, and so I guess he thought that would force us into a conversation. However, this time DH must have liked witchy women, b/c I couldn't get him to leave me alone! That was 12 years and 2 kids ago, and BGF and his wife (which I hooked him up with) live right up the road. Nice!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile
My husband was my freshman computer teacher in college. Taught me everything I know about computers twenty five years and two kids ago. Yes, I did get all A's in his class!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  11:22:59 AM  Show Profile
I met him in a bar....and they say nothing good ever comes of that.

My sister and I had gone to meet a friend and he was with the friend. He spent most of the night staring at me. Or so my sister says. Anyway, I thought he was older than he was and he thought I was younger than I was. We overcame that hurdle real quick. We've been together for 21 years and married for 19. It works.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  05:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Through a dating service! My girlfriend met her future husband through the same service so I thought I'd give it a try. Robbie was the first one to pick me! But here's the cool part..........

I'm an only child and I knew I could care for my parents when they got older. It's in my genes. But I also knew the day would come when there would only be one of them left and I prayed that God would send me a special someone that I could lean on while caring for them. I found out that Robbie had picked me and that night we put my mom in the hospital. She was diabetic and an infection had lodged in her knee and made it swell. It had all the symptoms of gout and that's what they were treating her for. That night she had a mini-stroke and we took her to the hospital and that's when they figured out what really was happening. After several days of phone tag, Robbie and I finally got to talk and went out the next weekend. Two weeks later we said "I love you." Two weeks after that we stopped by the hospital and my mom and dad got to meet him. The next morning I stopped at the hospital before work because the doctor was supposed to stop by and give an update. I told mom, "Don't tell Robbie but I think you met the man I'm going to marry." That morning was the last time we talked. Ten days later she passed away. That was May 4, 1994. We married February 25, 1995 and moved in with my dad. He was the one with serious health problems and I prayed that God would give me at least a year with him after Mom passed away. We had 8 more wonderful (although at times infuriating - I was living with my father in a small house), blessed years with him before he passed away in 2003.

One more thing - Robbie always wanted a house on five acres. We bought the 3 acres next to our property back from my cousin a few years ago. Put that with the 2 my dad's house was on and we have the original five acre plot that my dad bought from my grandpa when he came back from WWII. How's that for prayers being answered???

God bless -
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #??? (to be filled in after I get my badge)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How did you meet your husband? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page