Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How did you meet your husband?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How did you meet your husband? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  8:04:58 PM  Show Profile
I worked at the City Hall and had to call the printer to help me put a scrapebook together for the Mayor. Four months later, the printer and I were married!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  8:40:32 PM  Show Profile
I was engaged to one of his friends. The other guy and I broke up. A year later we started dating and married 6 months after that.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  8:40:48 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I met on our local fire department where we were both volunteer firefighters. My Dad happened to be our Captain so it turned out to be a "family thing". Now 20 years later, we're still volunteering for our local fire department.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  8:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My husband and I were high school friends with an interest in each other that never really panned out until I was a senior and he had already graduated! We didn't get married for 7 years, but we are so happy and I am glad to call him my own!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  9:21:20 PM  Show Profile
His sister was a friend of mine..he lived next door and was over at her place alot...I was a single Mom at the time..he offered to help move things and stuff like that a few times and then finally asked me out.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  9:51:46 PM  Show Profile
My Dh & I met in 11th grade. He spotted me first where I worked at an ice cream stand. He asked a friend at school about me & almost met someone else when she was mistaken. Then she finally introduced him to the right girl...me!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I met him online (yahoo) and I almost didn't put the ad out. He wrote the next day and I saw him and was very interested. We talked online, then went to the phone. I met him three days later, it was practically love at first sight... and when he took my hand to cross the street, I knew this was the one I was going to be with! We got engaged on my birthday 6 months later, and planned to be married (and go to New Orleans for our honeymoon - Needless to say, the end of August, Katrina hit, we had to reschedule that) on Sept 24th - the day Hurricane Rita hit. We had to reschedule THAT.. and it was definitely something crazy. So we planned for October 7th, and unfortunately.... his brother passed away from cancer on October 5th... FINALLY --- We got married on November 11th, 2005 and have been happily married ever since!!

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  02:54:57 AM  Show Profile
At a Metallica/Bon Jovi concert, England 1987.
We married 3 weeks later. I emmigrated a month after that.
(Bin' married to the same sweetie all this time!

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  04:41:50 AM  Show Profile
He was a police officer in the town where I worked.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  04:49:36 AM  Show Profile
We first really met at preschool!! No really...I was his son's preschool teacher! We never really talked though [except about his son] until we ran into each other at a local watering hole one night. Ten months after that.....we were married! It has been two years as of last month.

Life is GOOD!!!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  04:53:58 AM  Show Profile
his band was having a video shoot. we had a mutual friend who called because they needed extras for the video. that day was 11 years ago. We have been married for 7 years and now have two children.

farmgirl sister #37

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  05:33:19 AM  Show Profile
We met at college, where we both worked on the newspaper and yearbook staff, and were both English majors and had some classes together. We didn't really start dating until the last month of senior year though, so I really married my best friend

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:02:00 AM  Show Profile
We met online when I was in uni. We met a few days later in person when he was in town for a bike expo and the rest is history :) We got married 6.5 years later (we're slowpokes!)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was trying to come back into the Navy after 4 years of being out. I had my return date pushed back twice and I finally came back in on October 18th. I went to a temporary transition unit to get my uniforms and get my processing done. I was with stuck with 16 guys, all of who wouldn't talk to me. Hubby was one. I somehow started talking to him while he was standing watch and we found out that we were going to the same school. We ended up in the same class and hung out a lot. We were the "older " ones of our class and we would just hang out and laugh. We started dated right after we graduated but I went to Washington state and he went to San Diego. We have fought tooth and nail since then to be together and I am glad we did.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:45:37 AM  Show Profile
DH and I met in my driveway.

Divorced 5 months earlier, I finally got a car that turned out to be a bad purchase (the salesman saw me coming from a mile away!) and the husband (Ron) of one of my friends (Marcie) that I worked with took my car to his house to fix it for me. When Ron was done he had dh drive his car over to my house while Ron drove my car. Ron introduced him to me, but I barely noticed as I finally had my freedom back in my own driveway and it RAN!

The next day, at work, Marcie told me that this man wanted to take me out. I told her to tell him that I'd think about it. Well, then a flood of flowers started showing up at work. Every day a beautiful bouqet of flowers with a really sweet note asking me out was delivered to me at work. All the girls at work told me I should give him a shot. So, I finally agreed to go out with him.

Our first date was absolutely wonderful. He took me to a local restaurant that I had never been to as it was VERY expensive. Then he took me dancing. He was so sweet, so polite, so charming, so attentive that it actually scared me. I had never met a man like him before and I was really gun shy after being newly divorced. So, I dumped him at the club we were at and ran home!

The flowers started coming again. I didn't know what to do. He seemed so genuinely sweet and yet I couldn't help but think he was too good to be true. About a week after our first date, I was on my way to the grocery store for Grandma and my car broke down (again!) right by his house. I had no choice but to knock on his door and ask him if he could help. I felt totally foolish, but Grandma really needed stuff and I couldn't let her down.

He couldn't get my car running, so he took me to the store. All through the store, he followed me around asking, begging me to give him another chance and I kept telling him that I just couldn't do it right now. Finally, in the last aisle, he jumped in front of my cart and refused to let me go anywhere until I agreed to go out with him again. The store was full of people and I was so embarrassed as they all stopped and stared at us. I gave in and the rest is history. That was 21 years ago.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:47:13 AM  Show Profile
We met in an internet chatroom (IRC channel) back over 11 years ago and became email buddies, then phone friends. We met in person eight months later and that was pretty much it for us, we both just knew. We were married about a year and a half later. And next month will be our 9th anniversary.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Lainey on Aug 12 2008 06:48:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Blind date. Actually, the third blind date in a row. After the first two, I actually avoided phone calls from this one, until I slipped up and answered one evening. We've been inseparable ever since (16 years lsat Saturday!)

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile
I was singing in a chamber choir and he came to record our album live in a concert (he's an audio engineer). We hit it off right away and spent most of the weekend together chatting. By the end of the weekend we knew we wanted to "date" exclusively but he lived 3 hours away on the opposite side of the state. We talked on the phone almost every day. We saw each other about 4x and less than a month later we eloped!!! That was in January. We lived apart (except some weekends)for the rest of the winter and then I left my choir and my job (in June) and moved to the other side of the state. This is our 18th year!
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile
We were both cast in a theater production as husband and wife.
Eighteen months later we made it happen for real!
We will celebrate 25 years in January! Good casting by the director wouldn't you say?

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow!!! What heart warming, absolutely wonderful postings! Thank you all. As I was reading all the postings, I felt like I was reading a short story!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
It was on a blind date set up from a mutual friend who thought it would be "the match" butI really didn't think it would work out. I hadn't ever thought I would date someone with children and be older than I some , let alone marry them. Here I am 35 years later. It was VERY hard at the first because at nineteen I became a fulltime mom and had no idea what I was in for, and I have to say but for his caring and help we wouldn't be married today. He has made all the difference. If I could change anything it would be about how I managed myself especially in those first years, but then I was growing up too. I give all the credit to the Lord above and to my dh for these many good years together...Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  11:07:34 AM  Show Profile
I met my hubby online on a local BBS(before internet!) The BBS used to have weekly gatherings at restaurants or pubs, and after chatting online we discovered we lived less than a mile from each other. We met in person at one of the gatherings, and the rest as they say is history! We've been together over 12 yrs and celebrated our 10th anniversary this past June.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  2:46:53 PM  Show Profile
The first time I met my husband, I didn't care for him at all!! He came to a big party my girlfriends and I had and he was to say the least a little tipsy! He grabbed me and was trying to dance, more like stepping all over my feet. Then as if that wasn't bad enough, he grabbed me and kissed me. Then I went to another girlfriends house and we were out walking,this was months later, who slows down on his cycle and tries to get me to go for a ride, you guessed, Tom. I told him to buzz off and not to bother me again. Well, in my junior year, my best friend was going out with his brother. She kept begging me to go out with him, I kept turning her down, I had enough of him already. Finally I said ok. He came to the door to pick me up and zap, it was love at first sight for both of us. We have been together from that day on, never broke up, been with each other 44 yrs. married for 42. My and and his brother? Broke up!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile
When I was seventeen my first professional job was a medical bill cordinator for our major teaching hospital. I was continually fixing the medical records and billing for a patient who was the worlds first kidney cadaver transplant. I must say my heart broke everytime I had to read his files and the long list of horrible procedures he went thru. I found a second job to afford life and the first day at the job I had to host a Christmas party for the clients of this firm. After getting my rear end pinch one to many times I went to hide in the back room. There I found this guy reading away. We got to talking and we went out to dinner. After dating every day for a month I found out this was the guy in the medical records (Way small world) it was to be - Five years later we married, had two children that the doctors said we would never have because of all his medical issues. I spent 19 years with him before his passing. It has been 12 years since I lost him - he was my one and only.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  3:33:20 PM  Show Profile
It was college and I was dating his roommate. That ended -not so well- especially because my DH and I started hanging out together. I knew 3 weeks after we started dating that he was the "one". I must have been right because it been 15 years! I am waiting for the day I can say I have been married to him longer than not!

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Like many of you, I met my one and only through my friend. He was her next door neighbor and had just gotten out of the Marines. He had a poker party at his house and my friend didn't want to be the only girl there so she roped me into going with her. DH and I have been together ever since. 31 years and still going strong!

"Let us greet with a song of hope each day"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How did you meet your husband? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page