Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sweet potatoes? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  08:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My neighbor gave me some home-grown sweet potatoes. I want to cook them up special, anybody got a recipe?
There are 7, about regular white potato size - they aren't huge.

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  08:36:22 AM  Show Profile
Okay, here's a recipe, but it's definitely not healthy. Still reading? Okay.

Parboil the sweet potatoes. Peel them. slice them about 1/2 inch thick. Coat them in sugar. Fry them in butter. The sugar should caramelize. After you're done, dump more sugar in the pan and caramelize it in the remaining butter. (Add more butter if necessary). Dump the caramel on top of the sweet potatoes.

My mom used to make this for Thanksgiving. It's a recipe from my uncle who used to be a chef. It's amazing, but they're pure poison.

If you're interested in healthy, I've got a recipe for chick pea and sweet potato soup.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  09:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Ohhh that sounds yummy!

May I have the other recipe as well? It sounds interesting, and I have chick peas!

My mother has a candied sweet potato casserole recipe that is also pure poison - I wanted to post it, but I can't find it. I have a feeling I hid it somewhere. My husband was making it nearly once a week, and it was so sweet I couldn't stand to have it that often! Once or twice a year is enough for me! lol.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  05:43:09 AM  Show Profile
Our favorite is not sweet at all! Just pierce the potatoes with a fork and bake in oven for 20-30 minutes until soft and able to scoop out the sweet potatoes. In your food processor add 1/2 c. cream , onion, one peeled garlic clove, 1/2 c. + grated cheese(parmesan) and process until well blended. Add sweet potatoes to this and process until blended. Place in a casserole dish or individual ramekins and bake at 375 for15- 20 minutes until top is golden.

Sweet potatoes can be cooked for 10 minutes in your micro wave, just remember to pierce them.
You can also substitute nonfat chicken stock for the cream,if you need a dairy free or healthier alternative.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

amaron
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Something we've tried just recently and LOVE is to bake (or microwave) the sweet potatoes until tender and then serve chili or taco filling over them. YUM!!! A little cheddar cheese and maybe a dollop of sour cream - can't beat it!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  1:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Mmm. Here's another holiday hip-helper for you. Pierce the skin and zap them in the microwave until tender enough to peel and slice easily (alternately, you can pierce the skin and steam them on the stove until sliceable). Peel and slice about 1/2" thick, and place in a baking dish. Plop some butter in (several tbsp) and sprinkle lots of brown sugar over. Bake at 300 for a long time. Check periodically until they feel right. You want a carmelized gooey chewy scrumptious mess. I usually cook mine for about 2 hours or so. They will be chewy.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  5:19:57 PM  Show Profile
What about yam and apple casserole? So, SO good!

Ingredients:
2 lbs yams
5 baking apples
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter
salt and pepper

Arrange 1/2 of peeled slice yams in a greased shallow 2 qt casserole dish. Add 1/2 apples (also peeled, sliced into thin wedges)and sprinkle half of mixed remaining ingredients. Repeat layers.

Cover and bake for 350 for 1 hour total.
After 50 minutes, add cranberry sauce and bake still covered for 10 minutes.

(1 cup cranberry sauce = 1/2 package of cranberries, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water. Simmer on stove until berries pop and sauce gets a bit thick.)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sweet potatoes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page