Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday afternoon I was chatting on the phone and happened to look outside. Thank goodness I looked! The alligator was in the yard right behind my husbands shop. My husband was in the shop. My five outside cats were ten feet away, all asleep! I tiptoed to the shop, shaking like a leaf!!!!! By the time my hubby came out with (heard a gun shot) his gun, the alligator was back in the lake. All of the cats are fine. They slept through the entire thing.

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow! And I have been worried about a bitty snake I saw a while back. SO glad you all are ok (including the kitties!).

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Whew! I'm glad you are all ok. Those alligators need to go. I'm worried for all of you with those guys running around and visiting your yard and all. I wish I had some good advice or a solution. Be Careful!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Any way to fence the yard? I know that the cats can get over it but it would save your hubby.

I also worry about the snakes and frogs I have come to an understanding with them but don't know if I could with an alligator.
Nothing like toten around a hoe a shovel and a gun to go to the garden.

Good luck!!!

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Oh my GAWD!! I would have FREAKED out!! I am glad you are okay.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence is the key to unlocking our potential
Liane Cardes

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com

Aunt Debs Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5848156
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. As I was posting the post about the Alligator in Yard, I heard a shotgun go off. I went to check but saw nothing in the lake. I'd love to go out and weed the flower gardens but with that thing out there, I am a bit concerned. I put in another (like the 20th) call to the wildlife folks. We'll see what happens.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Marly!!! You be careful!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Diana:
No fences are allowed. We really have to keep the gun at hand. I hate saying that. But, for our protection, we do. The wildlife people tell us we can't shoot an alligator if it comes after the pets. Well!!!!!!! That made me very upset! However, this alligator is walking in our yard endangering us.
The shot I heard while posting about the alligator was from one of the neighbors. The alligator decided to try out their deck! Alligators run very fast. By the time the neighbor got his gun, the thing was back in the lake.
I believe it is looking for food. Still waiting on the call from the Wildlife folks. Of course, I won't hold my breath!
Thanks, Aunt Jenny. We are being extra careful.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  2:25:33 PM  Show Profile
I'd shoot it if it got near my pets. They would never know the difference.What is that saying a wise farmgirl used here not long ago? Oh yes, "shoot, shovel and shut up." As far as I am concerned, my pets are my family. I'm sure you feel the same Marly. My goodness!!! If you can't put up a fence, what about a hot wire? Right at their level should do the trick! I am afraid for all of you over there, kitties included.

"Love one another."

Edited by - Homespun Livin on Aug 11 2008 2:28:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  2:37:41 PM  Show Profile
I would have been shaking in my boots. Glad that everyone is okay including the cats. I sooo love my cats.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Marly! WAIT!!!!! Don't do the shovel thingie! What I should have said was "shoot, cook and swallow fast!" LOL. I had a black out where I forgot that gators are tasty. :) I'll come help and together we will bury the evidence! :p

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

gracieinhollow
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

wilma
mchenry KENTUCKY
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  2:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Marty, i kinda new on her do see them offten,thank goodmuss we only have deer here in hollow.

www.doubledoorantiques.etsy.com
www.vintagecabinet.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Marly:
I catch what you are saying, Brenda. I just don't want to put it in writing. Those Wildlife people know I have called a trillion times, so if they do find a dead alligator, they'll try to fine me. No sir! My cats are family to me. I have told the Wildlife people that I would protect my cats, but they say the alligators have more rights. Yep, we'll see! I've been checking the lake with the binoculars all day, and haven't seen any in our area of the lake. Tomorrow, I'll check again. The gun is loaded. Thanks for the postings.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Wilma:
In 2005, Louisiana was hit by Hurricane Rita, and we had a tidal surge. With that came many alligators from the Gulf of Mexico, and the Intracoastal Canal. Where I live, we are surrounded by water on three sides. Before the hurricane we had never seen an alligator in the lake. For almost three years now, we have been begging the Wildlife people to come and do something. No help there. As far as I can tell, I see only two alligators now. One is about 6 feet, the other about 5 feet. They are becoming a threat to the people around here. So, I do believe we're going to have to do what we have to do. LOL
As I said, the gun is loaded. I can shoot. But, I started shaking so much when I saw that darn thing in the yard, I couldn't have held the gun still. My hubby is an excellent gunsman.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

gracieinhollow
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

wilma
mchenry KENTUCKY
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Well Marty, a person must do what they have to protect their family and pets! i know you have had a lot of hard times in past few years but you must be a survior, to have stayed, so try to be safe i would love to see your state some time,but i saw enoght alligators when we went to Florida, but thank you for taking the time to answer me. Be safe. Wilma
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  8:03:06 PM  Show Profile
I think the group of us could find some recipes to send your way for that aligator - you know aligators run into bullets all the time and heck they say it tastes like chicken. We could do canned aligator, dried aligator, frozen aligator, pickled aligator, backed aligator, now I feel like the guy on Forest Gump..... When you chop them up into little pieces no one can find that bullet hole... Be Safe

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:33:35 AM  Show Profile
ROFLOL!! Woo-hoo Grace! Now your talking girlfriend.

Marly: I was thinking, do you think there is a way to go over the heads of those at the W & F dept.? Maybe put in a call to radio station such as Moon Grafon or something? He would surely put it out there to the public about what is going on and what is not getting done about it. I know that the people in higher offices listen to his show. Maybe he would know someone who would come get them and relocate them for ya. I am so afraid for y'all. Stay safe!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I myself would shoot it and if asked questions, I would tell them my spouse or whomever was there. I like the shoot, shovel, shut up saying. I am shocked the news is going after this, I am sure John Kerry would love it if they did.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  12:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Goodness, that sounds harrowing. I'm glad the kitties are okay.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Dang on the fence how about the tire strips that the put on the highway to blow people tires in hot pursit.

Nails in a 2X4 in the yard or something maybe of that nature. I know that they have a tough hide but feet on the nails it is also something that is evident enough for you to be able to see and avoid.

Noise fire crackers very large firecrackers. Or even the water cannons that you can get for deer that come on only when the deer gets in the sensor.

We have a organic compound that snakes don't like to cross over. Any plant or something nonhaz mat that gators don't like.
Could the local university give you some pointers and or a gator farm. They may know something that fish and game doesn't.

Again makes my snake thing look silly by a long shot.

Good luck

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2907 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2907 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh Marly you are makin Ohio look pretty dang good right about now(although we have trapped 2 coons in the last 2 days & one was MEAN) But an ALLIGATOR!!! Can you say..Adult Depends!!!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:25:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking boots, a nice new purse.....maybe a matching wallet....

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Dinah, those are all great ideas!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Brenda:
Yes, I bet Moon Grafon would get the word out. However, when I called last week about the alligator being in the yard, it was the same old same old. They want to stick some big long poles in the yard with dead chickens hanging on them over the lake. The alligators are supposed to come and eat the chickens. But- my cats will be so curious at seeing this dead chickens hanging there, and the cats will certainly smell them! So- that is out for me. Now, if they'd say they'd come and trap them to take them away that would be fine.
Do you listen to the Moon Grafon show? I do. But, when he starts the yelling, I turn it off. LOL
Thanks for the posting. You are really a sweetie.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Lisa:
I'm still laughing about the "Adult Depends"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those darn alligators are getting too dangerous. I found out today that the lady at the end of the lake is throwing old food in the lake, and the alligators are eating the food. So, I guess the alligators think we are all going to start feeding them. I don't think so! I told my hubby that if I see that thing in the yard one more time, I'm bring all five outside cats inside. I already have two cats inside. Hubby is not too fond of them, so when I mentioned the outside cats coming in- well- that got his attention. He came home with a box of bullets. LOL Thanks for the post. I'll laugh all night now.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Marly! I hope those Alligators go away! Soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Alligator in Yard Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page