Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My dream home/hometown..HELP!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My dream home/hometown..HELP!!!! Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  08:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Okay....I came down to AR to fix up my folks house who have passed and sell it or stay....now my kids up North are having grandchildren and I would like to live closer to them. My dream has always been to move to a little town in Illinois where my fondest childhood memories are....so now that I have ripped up the front yard here to put in a sidewalk and torn all the bushes out around the house and other asundry projects here.....this WONDERFUL old Victorian house comes up for sale in my hometown in Illinois....500 people so there are not many houses like this or houses for sale period at any one time. It over looks the river and is in a beautiful spot...just on the edge of town and a few blocks from where all my relatives since the 1800's are buried...it's like a dream come true! BUT....how can I get this place ready, I don't think I can afford to own 2 houses unless I use my retirement money which they will penalize me for I'm sure and then the house needs a roof, probably windows or repair as the realty agent couldn't tell me if they "opened" or not...it is really affordable because it needs work but the roof does not leak...yet... and it has had some work done and it is sided (ugly white wide boards not in keeping with a Victorian) but it has original floors and woodwork and lots of light coming in with high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows....I should have NEVER looked! I wold definitely have a home inspector look at it before i made an offer. But I feel like I shouldn't be wasting time either away from my grandchildren...or I will miss those precious years! A few years here or there can make a big difference...they grow so fast! I don't want to dig into my retirement but then if I wait until I sell this place then the other will probably be gone. I know if it's meant to be it will be but I also feel I need to do my part to make it happen. But where do I start? The realty agent is representing the sellers and I am 9 hours away so I can't run up there and look at it. I do have a cousin in the area I might call but I feel bad since we haven't talked in a long while. Has anyone ever been in this situation and what do you do when it's a once in a lifetime opportunity? I know....BREATHE.....economically I can't afford to take chances either but then I could die tomorrow and never have gotten back to where I have been trying to return since I left as a child...I went back every year until college and spent my summers there.
I hope someone out there has some good advice for me because I am "befuddled" as to what to do. Thanks for any info/advice you can give me!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  09:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sandra- I just picked up and moved 12 hours closer to family, so I for sure know exactly what you mean by wanting to be closer to family. Now, that Victorian sounds Amazing! And I love old houses- so I would be all for trying to sell your parent's house and move on North! Could you withdraw just enough from your retirement to make the downpayment and get into a mortgage so you have time to sell the second house? Also I would talk to the Real Estate agents in your area before making any big decisions because if they know houses just aren't selling, then it would be more risky to get into the double house situation. Now, if houses are selling like hot cakes, then it might be a low-risk situation.

OOO! Keep us updated! I am all excited for you! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Sandra-I'm a real estate agent and the market is great for buyers but not so great for sellers right now. Most homes on the market are taking up to 6-9 months to sell in the midwest. Here are some options I can offer, but they're just suggestions since I don't know your economic situation.

You could sell your current home in as is condition. Of course you wouldn't get as much for it, but you also wouldn't be having to lay out the $$$ to do all the repairs.

You could rent out your home, so that the rent would cover your mortgage, and then you'd only have one mortgage payment instead of two. Of course you'd want to screen the tenants carefully before putting them into the house so you know that they won't skip out on the rent, or be chronically late payers.

The best advice I can offer is to pray on it!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  09:51:33 AM  Show Profile
Alee and Diana thanks so much for the advice! And since you are a real estate agent Diana I thank you for your expert input! I am going to call my financial gal and see what she has to say but the renting sounds good also. You are right though....I tried to sell this house before and nada! Of course the real estate agent was living next door and had an inherent interest in selling it to Willie Nelson's daughter and was not interested in selling it to anyone but her! It fell through as I figured it would and I decided to move here and fix it up. I have put a new roof on, new furnace and AC, solar light panels and some other smaller improvements. Our market is just starting to heat up down here as it is sort of a retirement area. The Northerners start coming down in the fall to look for retirement homes. But, I hate to have 2 houses...that could get dangerous! I have and will continue to pray and I especially asked for a "sign" or signs so I would be guided as to what to do. If it doesn't happen it's okay because I know there will be something else for me when the time comes (I hope...oh but this house is so cool!). Actually, I want a little place in the country but acreage there is prime agriculture and going for LOTS. There are million dollar homes down the road on acreages....so fat chance of that happening but even if I move there....I could rent for awhile and wait until just the right house or acreage comes on the market. I know from living in rural areas....when you live there you are actually privy to places that never even make it on the market...they're bought and sold that fast...back in the day anyway...not sure about now! I have no debt and no mortgage and do not want one. I have a limited income but manage to stay within my means and my credit is good and I want to keep it that way. I'd move to the Palouse but my family is north and it's time for me to head home! thanks again for all your great advice! I will keep you informed...sort of like a farmgirl's soap opera! Ha! Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  4:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sandra

Where in Illinois?

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  4:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Laura....it's a little town in Northern, Illiois. Hanover...very small town near Galena/Savannah area.

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  5:01:23 PM  Show Profile
p.s. You'd think I could spell the state I was born in ....Illinois! Ever since I got this laptop it seems I make LOTS more typing errors...what's up with that?
Anyway...talked to my financial gal and she did NOT recommend buying before selling this one...I think I knew I could not take that risk but I will get this one ready to sell and maybe if this sells that one will still be on the market? If not maybe something else will be available that would be even better...like a couple acres in the country?
Anyway....my daughter really wants me to come back North and I must admit, I want to be closer to my grandchildren and you didn't hear me say this but I miss the snow! I love snow...I just don't like driving in it but now that I only work part-time out of my home I don't have to drive in it. I can enjoy it! Well...off to watch the Olympics!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  5:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sandra!

What a dilemma! I have to say having been there and actually still here, my house in NJ in a great neighborhood etc has not sold in a year. I have less than a year on my bridge loan and I'm getting a little nervous. While I say in one way go for your dreams the other side of me says be cautious. i believe we all get what we really want although not necessarily when we want.

Peace

Luna

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  08:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh..Luna....I will pray that your house sells and yes...things just aren't like they were years ago....it's pretty scary since I am THIS CLOSE to retirement and although I am more fortunate than many. For the amount of money I saved and all those years I worked and made really good money...my illnesses have almost wiped it out so I have to be really careful and really healthy! And I had good health insurance but everything is so high and with it is my meds and meds aren't covered as good when they know you'll be taking them forever! LOL! So, I have truly learned to trust in the Lord and take one day at a time. My children and grandchildren are healthy and safe and what more could I ask for. And I love it down here too especially now that it's cooled off! Whew! that old saying..."No matter where you go...there you are"... I am happy to plod along and take my time but my children would like me to hurry up and get back north. I just can't hurry anymore....I am like a slug and I can't afford to hire things done so I do them myself but it takes longer...but I do enjoy the process..anyway...I digress and ramble and I better get going and get something done! Thanks everyone!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  08:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Sandra

In the end, we all have to trust our own inner wisdom...what is right for one is not necessarily right for another. Go for what feels good to you. Trust yourself

And thank your for your prayers. I am also about to face my ex in court in September and while not a final judgement the result will be critical to my financial future. I will pray for you as well that you may be healthy, strong and know that your decisions are of your own wisdom.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My dream home/hometown..HELP!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page