Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Antiquey question Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hey gals! Yesterday I made another trip to the house my aunt is moving out ofand picked up some stuff for my mom. And of course I couldn't turn down buying this gate leg table.

So the lady my aunt got this table from either painted it black or put some kind of black somethin on it. At first I thought she only did the top. But as I was cleaning the cobwebs and dust off of it, I saw it's black all down the legs and underneath the table top.

So my question for all you antiquey lovin gals: do I leave it alone or can I strip and refinish it?

You can see pics on my blog.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  06:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It does look like an Antique to me, but without seeing it first hand I couldn't really tell. It could be a good reproduction. The think we people adding and taking away finishes- even to restore- is that it destroys the original finish which is where a lot of the value of that antique is. If you like the black, I would leave it alone as the black might very well be antique in of itself. If you don't like it, and don't mind a devaluation of the antique (That is only important if you are going to be trying to re-sell it and make a profit) then I would strip her down and refinish her in a more natural color.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  08:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Melanie- When in doubt, leave it to a professional to decide. If you have a reputable antique furniture refinisher in your area, you could take it to him/her and get their advice on what to do.
It is a beautiful table! I love the turnings. :) Yay for you!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  08:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Oooo Melanie, I think I would have to leave that! The paint job looks really old to me and I like how it's worn off naturally in some spots! Wouldn't it be neat if the paint was original?? If you really don't like it though I would agree with Karin definately see if you can get a professional's opinion!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

gracieinhollow
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

wilma
mchenry KENTUCKY
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile
YES NIGELLA IS RIGHT DON'T STRIP THE TABLE JUST CLEAN, BECAUSE ITS GOT THE HITCHCOCK STYLE AND MAY HAVE HAD A STICKER, IF IT IS YOU HAVE TRUE FIND. GRACIENHOLLOW

www.doubledoorantiques.etsy.com
www.vintagecabinet.etsy.com
www.picturetrail.com/doubledoor
Go to Top of Page

gracieinhollow
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

wilma
mchenry KENTUCKY
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  08:31:57 AM  Show Profile
MELIANE, I NOTICE YOUR IN BOONVILLE, DO YOU EVRY GO TO POLENS IN GENTERYVILLE,IN. WILMA
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile
I would take it and get it checked out. It looks like it may well of been painted later. If as Alee says you don't mind a lowering of the value of it, then strip it down. If the paint was added it will have diminished the value of it considerably. It is kind of hard to tell from a picture. I would have a pro's opinion and then go from there. If you don't like the black then you may want to change it anyway. It is a lovely table either way.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I have no clue what to do with the table yet. Also don't have a clue where to put it either. But I couldn't pass it up. Maybe one of these days I'll find someone who specializes in antiques and finishes and take it to them, but I don't know if we even have anyone like that around here.

Wilma~ I haven't been up around Gentryville in a few years. What is Polens and where is it at up that way?

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

gracieinhollow
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

wilma
mchenry KENTUCKY
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  12:06:12 PM  Show Profile
JUST DON'T HAVE IT STRIPED TILL, YOU HAVE IT LOOKED AT. THE PLACE I TALKING ABOUT IS RIGHT ON ROAD, HIS DAD HAD A SHOP FOR YEARS, THEN WHEN HE DIED HIS SONE TOOK OVER IT HAS SEVERAL BUILDING LOTS OF STUFF ITS TIM POLEN.

www.doubledoorantiques.etsy.com
www.vintagecabinet.etsy.com
www.picturetrail.com/doubledoor
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Definatley Wilma! I've decided not to do anything with the table right now. I think I know the place you're talking about. I've never been there, but maybe I'll take a trip up this weekend.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Antiquey question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page