Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just bought a hack saw at Ace for $7. I know I know- you get what you pay for- but I love it!

No farmgirl should be without a sharp hacksaw! I just spent a few minutes in my garden trimming a tree that sends out little runnerlets from everywhere on the trunk and especially the base. The result is beautiful if non functional. I can't get under my tree to enjoy it's shade.

So while leaving the upper branches (above about 6 feet) alone, I have been hacking off limblets below 6 feet so we can get a swing underneath and enjoy the shade- also it is opening up a lot more lawn space than I originally thought was available! Wow!

And you know what? It was EASY! The hack saw went through the wood so fast! I couldn't believe it!

Now, I am not the buffest farmgirl out there. In fact I think I have let other people do stuff for me for so long that I have lost a lot of my strength. But this was easy for even me! Hurrah!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee, why haven't you used a lopper? They work marvelously well. Doesn't a hack saw have really thin blades that can break easily?

Betty ini Pasco
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:59:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a lopper and used it a lot when we had lilac bushes that were in bad need of a trim. A hacksaw would be better on the bigger limbs I would think. I used one of those too I'm sure. It was awhile ago and there were a lot of limbs! lol

Glad you got your tree under control and can enjoy the extra shade :)

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  5:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I used a lopper for the small ones, but I had some branches that were almost 2.5 inches thick that had to go. Yes, the hack saw does have thin blades, but I don't think they will break too easily if used correctly.

The tree is almost tamed, but Nora woke up and trees + loppers + hacksaws + Toddler= Disaster.

I am having so much fun! Good thing there isn't a whole lot to cut around here or I might go hacksaw crazy!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  7:03:55 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a hacksaw, but I love my bowsaw and loppers for working around the yard. I cut up all the fallen branches (sometimes limbs) to burn in our firepit. And when I want a trellis, I go around the neighborhood and see if there are any freshly trimmed tree parts out on the curbs.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I love my Hack Saw! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page