Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Composting questions from a new composter!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Composting questions from a new composter! Next Topic  

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  8:01:45 PM  Show Profile
I need some input on small composting- I don't have a huge pile(yet) just a barrel with holes and a lid.
I understand about layers of grass clippings then vegetable waste.
But how often do I turn it?
How long before it's done?
And I have a bazillion questions but I can't think of them right now- so please tell me the things I need to know to get this off to a good start.
I do plan to have either a series of barrels or just a larger pile- but right now this one barrel is it. I am happy with learning what to put in and what not to put in- but it's time to ove on!
Help me out!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Autumn!

I turn my pile about once a week or when it starts to get "flat" looking. Ideally you want your pile to have lots of oxygen and be moist but not sopping wet. I usually water it one day, then turn the next then water ever 3 days or so until the next turning. I don't use a barrel though, I just use a mound so mine probably dries out a lot faster than yours. You want to get the good bacteria, enzymes, and creatures evenly distributed without disturbing them so much that they can't do their jobs. I bury my kitchen wast in the center of the pile since we have dogs that get attracted to the smells. Also don't forget to put in some of your garden dirt. This has the natural enzymes and such that you need for composting.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Can you compost in barrels without worms? My pile is near the garden on the ground. I water it on occasion but, I don't seem to remember to turn it more than a few times during the summer (if that much). Every spring, I have a nice amount of compost at the bottom just in time for planting. I get some really big worms in there, too!

I've never worried about layering in a certain way. I just toss scraps, grass clippings, weeds, overripe fruits from the garden (missed 'em somehow) as I have them. I also throw the dirt from flower pots at the end of the season into the pile as well as tea bags, coffee grounds and occasional egg shells when I feel like washing them out.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- Yes you can compost in a bin without worms as long as you get some good garden soil in there that is already doing a natural compost. What you are looking for is the natural bacteria, enzymes, yeasts and microscopic critters that compost as well as worms. However, I always like to dig a bit and get at least 5-6 worms into a bin. They will multiply and seriously speed up the process. Also if you turned your pile a little more often (once a month?) Your pile would compost a bit quicker and you would probably have more compost to use.

The only reason I worry about my layers is because of the dogs. Sure enough today I went out and they had dug into the center of the pile. I need a good layer of grass clippings to put in there! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  4:27:46 PM  Show Profile
CAn you put shredded paper and cardboard into the pile?
I just want to recycle everything I can- but don't want to mess up the compost pile.

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  5:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You sure can! They used to say avoid bright colored printed things- like Sunday Comics and adverts, because of heavy metals in the dyes, but government regulations prohibit those being used now, so a limited amount of colored dye is fine. Cardboard is great- and it can go in your garden as a weed barrier too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  2:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, Alee, I'm really bad about turning my pile over. There's just always so much to do and that chore always seems less important than everything else and ends up at the bottom of the list. It works for me for the most part. I only really need compost in the spring. It's rare that I'm wishing I had more later in the season.

Sounds like your pile gets aerated automatically! Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  5:01:51 PM  Show Profile
I am a lazy composter. I have 3 bins made with cement blocks about 3 ft high. I put in kitchen scraps (veg only) shreaded paper from my shreader. Grass clipings, weeds, chicken manure form the hen house, rotten veggies from the garden, left over soda pop. What the cat dosen't eat, or what I don't give the chickens, goes in the compost pile. I don't turn it. I guess I am not in any hurry, it takes at least a year for it to decompose. Then I sift it before I use it, any large stems or whatever gets put into the next pile. I always have compost ready to use, some on the way and the pile I am currently dumping into.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Belle! That's quite a system! I am getting my compost heap going and I am wishing I could get everyone on the block's grass clippings just for some bulk! Oh well, I have a horse stable that is willing to save me out manure so it looks like that is going to be the route for me. Once I get the heap to be about 4x4 feet it will turn into a hot pile and compost pretty quickly.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Composting questions from a new composter! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page