herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  5:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Anyone reading this series? My girls got me started on it & I'm 1/3 way into New Moon.

Awesome writing & a story only a few hours from home. I hear that the population of Forks, WA has doubled since the series started.

Gotta love the NW.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:57:27 PM  Show Profile
I read the first book in its entirety yesterday...in one day. I started New Moon last night and I am about 2/3 through it, and am at work now and am DYING to get it out of my bag :) They are so good! I was sure that I wouldn't be one bit interested in a book about vampires, but I am HOOKED!!!!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:57:27 PM  Show Profile
no but I am getting the first book tomorrow! I never heard of it until breaking dawn came out. I can't wait to read them!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:59:37 PM  Show Profile
I heard the buzz about this series when I was at the bookstore the other day but she was out of the first one. So, it's about vampires??? Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:10:29 PM  Show Profile
My oldest daughter loves the series and is waiting to borrow her friend's new copy of Breaking Dawn. I still havn't got around to reading them yet. They sure are popular with the 12 to 15 year old girls though!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:08:59 AM  Show Profile
Everyone I know is reading these stories. I live maybe an hour to an hour and a half from Forks so everyone around here is talking about it. My sister's best friend is going to have a small part in the movie supposedly... I'm surrounded! I might have to break down and give the books a try this Fall when I actually have time to sit and read again!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile
My daughter and my girlfriend love the series. I am not sure if it is appropriate for most 12 year old girls though. My daughter who is 16 didn't think it was probably appropriate for girls under 14, at least. Especially as the series progressed. I guess when I find some time I will need to read them. But then again my daughter told me to wait until after she reviews the movie. She wouldn't want me to be disappointed if they didn't stick to the storyline. She knows how I hate that!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I finished Twlight yesterday morning & was up reading till 2:30am New Moon.
The books really aren't for young teenagers. Our youngest daughter is 16 & she's enjoying them. But her older sisters; 18, 22, 26, 27 are really into it. They are so excited for me to catch up with them so we can all talk about it.

I haven't really enjoyed a good "read" like this in a long time. They aren't scary & I'm not having any nightmares. I won't do scary. There are very funny parts & the author is so vivid with her discriptions & dialogs.

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  11:09:11 AM  Show Profile
My daughter is almost 14 and heard from her friend reading Breaking Dawn now that there is a whole chapter that I won't be happy if she reads so I am thinking I may have to look over it first. I hate that all her friends are so excited about this series..she can't wait to read this last one...It was easier when she was into Little House on the Prairie books..haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile
I raised all the kids on Little House books, boys too. We loved them, I loved them.
Dang they have to grow up. I'm still in the little house. :)

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

My daughter is almost 14 and heard from her friend reading Breaking Dawn now that there is a whole chapter that I won't be happy if she reads so I am thinking I may have to look over it first. I hate that all her friends are so excited about this series..she can't wait to read this last one...It was easier when she was into Little House on the Prairie books..haha

Jenny in Utah

Jenny,

I just read the entire series this summer, including Breaking Dawn. I also teach middle school English, and will *not* recommend this series to my students (even though it was they who originally got me to read it!) due to the turn that the saga takes in the final book. (I loathed the final book, by the way.)

While you may not be able to entirely control what your daughter reads, I'd try and steer her away from this one if at all possible. If a kid in high school wants to read it, I'd have no qualms about it, but anyone younger? Too much to even try to explain. If you'd like specific details, feel free to e-mail me, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone here who's still reading/wants to read it.

p.s. just wanted to add that there's another discussion about the books in this thread: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22937

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright

Edited by - laluna on Aug 09 2008 07:10:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  3:59:19 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the first book!!

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Book 3. Still wondering why I'm ready them. What good are they doing? Is this impoving my life, etc???

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  6:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone here read "Host", her new book? It has more of an adult theme from what I hear, but just wondered if anyone had anything to say about it...

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  7:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Whitney, my SIL read 'Host' and she said that while she enjoyed it, she enjoyed the 'Twilight' books better. I am going to read it next; now that I finished 'Breaking Dawn', I don't know what to do next! ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MissWhit

Has anyone here read "Host", her new book? It has more of an adult theme from what I hear, but just wondered if anyone had anything to say about it...

Farmgirl Sister #154

I personally preferred The Host to the Twilight series. I thought Meyer did a better job overall with character development, plot development, and even description of setting in The Host. I thought the ending was rather contrived, though, much like Breaking Dawn.

Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I love this series...and apparently I am one of few that liked Breaking Dawn...I think most of Steph's fans are having a hard time with BD b/c they can't relate to Bella anymore...there are some changes (crazy ones I know) that cause Bella's character to take more of an adult view point. Most are also complaining that she "gets it all" for nothing...but if you read the first three, you should realize that she went through plenty to get to where she does.

I am a 30 year old teacher, and I wouldn't recommend these books for class...they are more of a guilty pleasure. Especially BD--there is definitely more adult occurrences going on there. Do I still love me some Cullens though??? Definitely...Team Cullen forever!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:46:01 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Breading Dawn & loved it. I think Stephenie's detail of chartacters & their interactions wrapped my heart around the characters. The ending was a little slow compared to the previous chapters action & intensity.

The Cullen family are awesome. I look forward to reading whatever Stephenie Meyers writes.

Blessings,

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  08:38:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree Samantha

I thought that Bella's "sudden" maturity was only to be expected - some things happen that make all of us "grow-up" fast & that deffinetly could apply to Bella's character.

I simply loved the whole series & I am a 44 year old mom. I read them all in less than 2 weeks.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  6:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh no, my dislike for the book has nothing to do with the "mature" themes, as I'm a thirty-something adult myself. The problems I had with the book have more to do with the characterizations, the plot development and contrivances, the deus ex machina of the imprinting, the imprinting itself (creepy, bordering on pedophilia, imo), S.Meyer backpeddling her own canon, the cliched, cloying writing, etc. etc. Sorry to be a downer, but I was very disappointed in it.

Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh I have to admit the imprinting is a little creepy - you should have seen the eyebrow raise my husband gave me as I was explaining that one!!! And it does help wrap it all up into that "And They All Lived Happily Ever After" theory. I think that Ms. Meyer really wanted the happily ever after & maybe she wrongly assumed that her readers would as well & would be upset if that's not how it all worked out. I am pleased with the ending but I'm also a sucker for the romance & the happily ever after.

Laluna I would love to pick your brain sometime about some other books!!!

Laura

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Okay...I am reading Twilight....against my better judgement but not really....I would NEVER read an Anne Rice book (simply because I have TOO vivid of an imagination and can't handle really frightening things well) but so far this one has not frightened me and I always follow it up with a cheery book to get me to sleep and have good dreams but I don't usually read these "types" of books but you all talked about it so much and loved it that when I saw it at Walmart I thought..."u go for it girl" and I did....I'm about 1/3 the way through and so far so good...nothing really awful that I can't get out of my head sort of thing. I'll keep you informed but it seems to get better and better yet not psycho....we'll see?!?!
Thanks!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mommyswanson

Oh I have to admit the imprinting is a little creepy - you should have seen the eyebrow raise my husband gave me as I was explaining that one!!! And it does help wrap it all up into that "And They All Lived Happily Ever After" theory. I think that Ms. Meyer really wanted the happily ever after & maybe she wrongly assumed that her readers would as well & would be upset if that's not how it all worked out. I am pleased with the ending but I'm also a sucker for the romance & the happily ever after.

Laluna I would love to pick your brain sometime about some other books!!!

Laura

Groovy, I'd love to chat about books!

SPOILER ALERT FOR BREAKING DAWN (for those who haven't read it yet...)

And here's my problem with the "happily ever after" in Breaking Dawn: the whole saga, to me, started out based on the notion of sacrifice and things that we lose or give up in life in order to move ahead or get what we want. In the end, though, what sacrifices did Bella make? None. She got her man (men, really, since Jacob will be around indefinitely now), marriage, a baby, her parents still in her life, acceptance into the Cullen family, and of course, beauty, strength, and power as a vampire. I know it's a work of sci-fi/fantasy/fiction, but where's the hero's journey in it? I guess I'm just a fan of the Whedon-verse, where he is noted for giving his audience what they need, not what they want. I think Meyer essentially caved and gave her (largely teen) audience what many of them wanted (except for the Jacob fans).

Go to Top of Page

Janet L Trewhitt
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Janet

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  3:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Janet L Trewhitt's MSN Messenger address
I have not read sny of the Twilight series and does not aound like anything I would be interested in!! I have a friend who has read the other mystery series by author Susan Wittig Albert and she just loves them!

cabin Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  7:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Janet...are you talking about the BEatrix Potter Mysteries? by Susan Wittig Albert? They ARE wonderful....I've read all 3 unless there is another one out...I pray! They are really well done and I truly enjoyed them...so much so I think I would like to purchase them to re-read and there are not many books that I say that about...they are so enjoyable!
I didn't get a chance to welcome you! Welcome, welcome! I've been busy canning and haven't been on except early in the morning and then later at night. Hope you keep posting and where are you from?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

Since this series is getting such rave reviews, I decided to burn both of my Audible.com credits for the month and download the first book. I am halfway through and am very pleased so far! I am at the day of the dance in the woods for those who have read the book so far. Very intriguing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Twlight Series Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: