Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 "Reborn" babies - life-like dolls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Reborn" babies - life-like dolls Next Topic
Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Frannie! I needed the positve and respectful reminder of what our Farmgirl Forum is for.
I went back to change my first response to be positive.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. - Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile
ha! linda .. i LOVE your anonymous quote!!! has me giggling! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  11:37:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't have children, but would never have a doll like this! Too real looking and think it is sad if someone sees this as a substitute for a baby/child.

They ARE made good though, real artistic, but not my cuppa tea, and I LOVE dolls. Still have mine from when I was an iddy biddy girl of 6 months (LOOOONG ago :D)

"As you become secure in God's love, you will discover that you need not surrender to the opinions and judgments of others. GOD IS FOR YOU!" ~
Unknown

http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  1:28:32 PM  Show Profile
dutchy .. i USED to feel sorry for people who saw their pets as child-substitute .. but i've had too many dear friends who don't have children .. can't .. or don't want to .. but ADORE their pets .. and some are the first to admit that perhaps this is a 'substitute' .. and well ... i figger .. if it makes them happy or fills a hole in their soul .. well .. HURRAH for them! i sincerely doubt that too many people think the re-born dolls are children 'substitutes .. i believe that those who collect them love them for their sweetness, cuteness, beauty, incredible work of ART, conversation piece, decor, or it just makes them SMILE to see them.

i prefer homely little pitiful nostalgic primitive dolls. and oh my yes, the dolls of our childhood .. no matter how silly looking or tattered and torn .. seem to grab our heartstrings the most. AND .. i do remember in my childhood, that i saw these 'dollies' as my very own 'chillun' .. GOODNESS .. even today .. my trademark with my ORPHANS are that they are 'chilluns' looking for a loving momma!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  1:29:47 PM  Show Profile
I bought a doll kit to make one myself. I love any and all kinds of dolls. And although I am not looking for any breathing or heartbeat dolls, I would like to make it look as real as possible. And yes, I have two children of my own so I am not looking for a 'baby' The work that these people put into the dolls is amazing, I know that they are not for everyone, but I think they are beautiful. I am also 'trying' to learn how to sculpt realistic baby's that fit into the palm of your hand. I do a lot of different cloth and clay dolls and this was just one more thing that I wanted to try. I look at it as art. To me they are not subsitutes for say, something real. I do collect dolls, but that is it, they are a collection, nothing more.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  1:34:02 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I understand what you're saying!
In a way I see Elvis the kitten as an extended family member, not my child but a member of my little family of one (now 2)!

I talk to and with him, make funny sounds etc, hehe And I think he likes me doing that too, he seems to "listen" to my voice and recognizes it, I think. He is only 3 months old, almost, and I can see he likes and trusts me. He lies on my lap all eve and just relaxes completely!
So I can see where you come from if you say some people see their pets as "children" in a way.

And the dolls ARE works of art, indeed, but just not MY cuppa tea :)

"As you become secure in God's love, you will discover that you need not surrender to the opinions and judgments of others. GOD IS FOR YOU!" ~
Unknown

http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  1:37:07 PM  Show Profile
marcelina . i would LOVE to see your 'tiny babies'.

when i had our wonderful crooked tree hollow doll club .. we did a fun 'visiting dolly' thingie .. and i know it's been done by doll clubs all over the country too.

we each made a doll body .. then put them all in a big pile and closed our eyes and drew a 'different' doll .. took her home and gave her underoos .. did the switcheroo thingie again .. this time the new 'momma' gave the doll clothing
.. switch again .. then face .. switch again .. then hair .. THEN .. we each took a dolly home for a month and took her with us wherever we went .. giving the dolly a 'life' .. with a journal and each momma collected treasures for the dolly .. the next month .. each doll went to another home for a month and the same thing .. we did this for six months .. and when our travelling doll got back home .. she had stories and a 'life'.

(i do believe we did that very thing right here on maryjane's forum). FARMGIRL travelling dolls (wonder where they are now??) i know that we all KNOW it is not a 'human being' .. but it was such fun including a 'doll' in our real lives .. it really did give them more of a personality and memories for each of us.

and we are all 'big' girls still playing with dollies.

i, too, think the re-born dolls are exquisite!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  6:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I find the idea of taking a photo of a dead child much less disturbing than making a replica doll. I wonder why? Maybe just because, as a culture, taking pictures is how we memorialize our friends and family members. Whereas, a doll is a toy to be played with. I know there are collectors, but I mean the basic concept of a doll. It's not part of our cultural tradition to use dolls as a totemic representation of a baby who might have lived in the household if things had gone a different way.

Stories like Raggedy Ann made me feel soooo guilty as a child. I would wake up at night and wonder where my dolls were: under the bed, out in the yard? Were they uncomfortable? Were they scared? I was such a bad person to not take better care of them! I can't imagine making a doll to represent an actual child that I had lost. I think it would literally drive me mad. That's just me, but it does kind of make me shiver to think there might be other people out there who do that.

I didn't get the impression that this was the purpose of the "Re-born" dolls in the youtube link. I thought they were just extremely realistic collector dolls.

BTW, the brand name "Just Born" makes me feel horrible about eating marshmallow peeps at Easter too. What's in a name? A lot of connotations!

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  11:39:41 PM  Show Profile
To me it is amazing how life-like these dolls look. I can see why they wouldn't be for everyone though. With the Youtube video, it did appear that they were replicating an actual child, deceased or not which would make it seem strange. But I don't think that is the purpose of these dolls. Though you can get custom made & there may be some out there that would do just that. I went to some of the websites & found that the doll makers are very talented. The work that must go into each one.

Marcelina, have you seen this website? http://www.camilleallen.com/camille_allen3.htm
This artist makes miniature dolls as you are wanting to make. These actually went around as being made of marzipan, but they actually aren't. She does great work as well & to have such detail in such a small doll is amazing!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  09:34:06 AM  Show Profile
amie .. we also used to use 'pony express' to deliver mail .. and the telegraph instead of the telephone .. and 'computers' were not TOYS as they are today .. 'death masks' have been made for eons .. statues of people .. living and dead .. as a child, i always saw my dollies as my 'children' .. photographs, locks of hair, stuffed animals (including the 'real' ones .. taped videos .. etc. etc. have been a way to memoralize 'loved ones lost' ..

i think as 'time marches on' .. our culture obviously changes and with it ... ideas, inventions, new thoughts on olde subjects, ideals, beliefs, traditions, etc. etc. changes too. i also believe for each individual person, 'our up-bringing and beliefs, fears, taboos, and cultures are very strongly embedded in us' .. and we often see 'new' ideas as strange .. ohhhh ... that would be a fun topic for us all to discuss .. what 'cultural changes' that have occurred in our lifetimes that are very 'foreign' to our childhood cultural beliefs/traditions, etc. have happened as we got older .. which ones do we embrace .. which ones can we 'just not handle' yet in life?

i sincerely doubt that there are many people who truly see 'dolls' of any kind as 'real' or 'substitute' .. and if they do .. well, perhaps they are 'working through' their loss. gosh .. schools are now using animated dolls as children to teach teens the responsibility of parent-hood.

sounds like your dollies were 'real' to you too as a child. i LOVE the story of the VELVETEEN RABBIT!!! i think that story teaches us the value of loving what is 'real' (and to the little boy .. his stuffed bunny was indeed 'real'.

i agree .. i didn't get the slightest impression on the re-born doll site that it was the intention of the dollmaker to make 'real children' to substitute for anyone. just wonderful VERY life-like dolls to collect, appreciate and perhaps 'play' with too.

R-Born .. Just Born .. Born Again .. all jus' semantics to me .. we each hear words so differently sometimes it seems.

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Aug 10 2008 09:39:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Reborn" babies - life-like dolls Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page