Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Try This
 JUST POURED STRONG TEA OVER MY HEAD.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic JUST POURED STRONG TEA OVER MY HEAD. Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile
You see I have always had very dark hair, well of late, its getting a bit on the salt and pepper side, even a bit dull. It always used to have such a nice shine. So I brewed a pitcher of very strong tea and poured it on. Didn't rinse it out either. Was I suspose to? Anyway its dry now and looks and feels pretty good.
Anybody got any other ideas for me? I really don't want to color it. The grey would come right back and I would be having to color it real often, because its so dark.Whats with HEINA? Or did I spell that wrong and thats a monkey?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Henna. :) I don't know about it, but I just had to know why you poured tea on your head. That is really interesting! I'm glad it works for you. I just tea-stained some muslin for a doll project. Don't see why it wouldn't work on hair. Will be interesting to hear if it stays after a wash? :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  2:53:23 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't resist seeing why you poured tea over your head too!! I never heard of tea of that! How interesting!! I have real dark hair..starting to get more greys too. Hmmmm. Let me know how it lasts and feels after rinsing. I won't be coloring mine either. I figure since I will be 50 (gulp) in 2 months and still have 95 % dark brown hair I am doing okay..guess I dont' want to start something I won't keep up with.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile
Henna doesn't do much for dark hair and it would probably make anything lighter look bright orange. Let me tell you about my experience with henna. My friend Lisa, who had black hair was going to put henna on her hair to make it shiny and she told me, the one with light brown hair, oh you should try some. So I did, and Lisa said oh lets leave it on twice as long. Another great idea. I could have gone hunting without a hat. My sister in law told me I could change my daughter's name to Little Ricky. It was shiny, but wow was it ORANGE. Which is a color I like, just wasn't expecting it. Tea sounds like a good idea though. My hair is just starting to turn a sort of dismal mousy color so maybe i should go for some shoe polish...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  01:15:15 AM  Show Profile
When I was younger, Nancy Jo, and Celestial Seasonings used to make their Almond Sunset tea (silly people--have no idea why they discontinued it), I used it to "dye" my blond hair a little darker in the autumn. It gave it a nice auburn tint, temporarily and smelled like heaven, to boot. It also seemed to give it a little softness for what it's worth. I think of that often, but those silly people DON'T MAKE THE TEA anymore!!!! Oh, and I didn't rinse it, either, just squeezed it dry and then wrapped it in a dark towel.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  05:39:17 AM  Show Profile
This is very interesting. Ok I have dark hair, but not sure now if I dare use the Henna, the gray in it might turn orange. Hunting season isn't here yet.
Today I'M GOING TO TRY THE EARL GRAY TEA that I have. I also have other kinds. But I think I need the black teas for any results. Hey my 13 year old grand daughter uses magic markers to put little color streaks in her hair. 'THE WASHABLE KIND" Well the tea is brewing so here I go. Oh I didn't rinse it out yesterday and it was fine. Giving myself the PRIMITIVE look with all this tea. Not exactly what I had in mind.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  07:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Gee, Nancy Jo. When you were up in the hot attic, and I said you needed a pitcher of tea, I didn't mean to pour it on your head! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile
I've heard of kool aid being used as a hair dye..so why not tea?
sounds interesting.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  08:39:08 AM  Show Profile
Today like I said, I used the earl gray tea. About 4 bags, steeped until dark and cool. After I washed my hair I poured it on. Didn't rinse. My hair came out shinny and it doesn't feel like anything is on it.Yesterday I used reg. lipton black tea. Just don't wear white while doing this.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile
Karin! You are too funny! Shoe polish. Wouldn't smell quite as nice as tea though. You gals make my day.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
hehe! You can do the same thing with the tea using Chamomile if you are blonde. Just throw some chamomile tea bags in the pot or use the herb. gives it a nice shiny (not brassy) smooth gloss to your hair. Plus, smells yummy and relaxing :)
I was a red head back in the day and used the dark tea..wonderful stuff!
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I must say I'm starting to feel a bit better about pouring tea over my head. Not as crazy as I thought. Or we are all a bit crazy. Hard one to call.

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  1:53:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm with the others... no henna. Ever. I've worked in a salon too long and know too much! But I dont color my hair either. Hair is porous so the tea should hold for awhile. What about coffee? I think i have a recipe for natural dark hair rinse somewhere. Its got applecider vinegar and rosemary oil in it. Although, I'd rather smeel like tea than a pickle!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  2:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Nancy, before your hair turns orange, go to the store and get a bottle of shampoo that has the brown/black highlights in it. Conditioner, too. One of my girls is trying to let her hair grow out to it's natural color and a hairstylist told her to do this. So far it's working beautifully.....and nobodies tried to shoot her because she looks like a wild animal! It's letting her natural color grow out without looking like it is! Try it! You might like it! Have fun kiddo! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:22:39 PM  Show Profile
OK SUSAN, WILL DO. Dawn- thanks for the advise!!
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:46:32 PM  Show Profile
They have shampoo with highlights in it??? I never knew that!
I did a rosemary infusion rinse in my hair one time..and although it didn't change the color...my hair is real dark...it did sure make it shiny!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  5:58:47 PM  Show Profile
I have a book from my salon days called Organic Body Care Recipes: Here is a receipe for a Rinse to Darken Gray Hair: Let me know how it works...sorry, i dont have gray yet.....hehe..
8cups distilled water
1 c. crushed black walnut shells
1/2 c. nettle
1/2 c. rosemary
1/2 c. sage
2 TBSP black tea (see? your on to something here!)
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP olive oil
Bring water to a boil in a lerge pot. Add herbs & vinegar. Cover and steep for 4 hours. Strain and add oil. Shake vigorously before use. It'll stay stable for about 2 weeks.

Ok.....the black walnut shell worries me a little. Do they make it in powder form? Maybe something at a health food place??

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Be careful ... I used to wash my hair in chamomile and then I grew a very bad allergy to chamomile. Now I can't have it without having hives and not being able to breathe! Scary!

I think I may try the henna. Hahahahaha!!

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have to say~ I think this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read.. and yet somehow I feel I have learned something new... LOL

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  05:58:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey all,
Just thought I'd add a tidbit about tea. We used tea when my daughter had chickenpox. She had long hair and they were on her scalp. Just poured it on. Seemed to soothe the itching for her.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  06:14:18 AM  Show Profile
That receipe sounds interesting. Where does one find nettle, and what is nettle, sounds like something Granny Clampett might have used.
I took care of some of the grey this morning. I gave myself a haircut. Won't have to use as much tea now.ALSO will cut down on the price of the nettle?

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile
I really think you can get nettle in a health/natural food place. the closest one to me is about a 2 hour drive! Have the sista's look around for you....Oh, I researched the crushed balck walnut, its okay. I wonder if its the same nettle that my cousin Donnie got a rash from when he and his buddy decided to roll naked down the pasture lane... oh well. Another story for another day!! If so, just go to your pasture! But be careful and for heavens sake...wear clothes!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  5:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Nettle is in the mint family....there IS stinging nettles...but it is useful in lots of ways...and edible too.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  05:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Jenny: you are a wealth of knowledge! So its the STINGING ones that caused the....rash? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  02:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Well, I don't know a whole lot about darker hair - i have a fairly light brown that gets gold streaks in the summer, and my grandmother told me when I was a teenager that she and all her girlfriends would put lemon juice in their hair to lighten the highlights, which I also did after she told me her story, and it works beautifully, especially if you let it air dry out in the sun. Marigold lightens hair as well.
But for your needs.. make sure you get enough of your B-complex vitamins for one!
And here's a cool recipe for darkening greying hair: a handful of stinging nettle boiled in a quart of water with a bit of cider vinegar. Easy enough, I'd say! Sage darkens grey hair as well, but I think it washes out, not sure though.
Also, here's another:2 oz. green tea, 2 oz. sage leaves in 3 qts of boiling water. Cover, simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1 qt.. Allow this to stand for 24 hours, strain, and bottle.

Steep rosemary for quite awhile in hot water, then use it as a rinse for a LOT of shine - this is a personal favorite of mine since I grow rosemary. It can be fresh or dried.

And here's just a random, interesting hair-related tidbit from pre-1960's scientific research - rats deprived of zinc go bald. So do rats who have caffeine added to their diet.

Hope you found this interesting and helpful!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic JUST POURED STRONG TEA OVER MY HEAD. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page