Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Mid Life Crisis Update Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  02:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
UGH!!! Got laid off from my Nanny position, a blessing in disguise! After a lot of heavy praying, talking and worrying, I quit the job all together. Love the kids, the money was great but when all is said and done it was not a good place for me to be. I became a slave to a very spoiled family. Having done many jobs in my life. The best ones being a mom to 5 wonderful children, a wife to a awesome DH, along with office work, special education jobs, retail and so on. The typical jobs a mother would hold for rainy day funds or a single mother to survive with 5 children. Never made a lot of money but always felt rich beyond compare. So here I am looking at 49 and no finished education, no skilled trade, looking for a job that I would like to go to everyday for the next 20 years or so. Well then a snag!!!! Health insurance!!!!! At present my DH and I are cobraing my heath insurance from my previous job at a retched day care. We need to find new the 1000+ a month is draining us. WHAM!!! We found out that if we can even get insurance (some minor issues, mostly our age) we are looking at 1500+ a month. So my job search has changed dramatically from a job I would like, to who has the best insurance. I am heart broken, Crabby and taking it out on my DH. I feel so ripped off that I need to go to a job that will take me away from home, from dinners with my DH to two ships passing in the night. I am so angry that I just want to leave, go away, never return, run like the wind, cry like a baby. I can't find peace these days. Then I get angry with myself and just say "Put on your big girl panties and move on! Others have it way worse then you." I think the very worse is I have a bill that I have run up that is making me crazy and keeps threating to drowned me. The love of vacations, not expensive just that occasional overnight with my DH or family looks like will disappear from our life. We have given up the yearly trips to Mexico years ago and now it looks like our bike trips are going to be a thing of the past all so. Grand babies on the way and jobs that will take up my nights and weekends. When will i get to see them? Play with and spoil them? A studio that I just cleaned up, organized and even started my first quilt in years, will be vacant again. My freedom is disappearing again. A slave to insurance this time. One job that I was offered I will not even make enough a month to cover the health insurance they offer. UGH!!!!!! I know I'm whining. I'm so tired, I can't sleep. Sorry. Thanks for reading.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Edited by - bboopster on Aug 07 2008 2:25:56 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  07:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Betty Jo- Keep you head up and looking for the hidden opportunity. You never know when the perfect job might literally land in your lap. I would suggest logging onto the Wisconsin Job Service website if you haven't already. There are lots of jobs that offer benefits and with all your experience, I bet you can land a nice one! And hopefully you can get one that has the same schedule as your DH!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  07:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Alee, never thought of the Wisconsin Job Service. Going there now.

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo,

Here's a great job search with lots of online listings.
http://providentliving.org/employment/find/resource/1,10703,2862-1-206-1,00.html

Positive thoughts, prayers & blessings coming your way!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  1:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo, I can totally relate to the health insurance. Hubby and I are both self employed, so we have to buy our own health insurance. Of course to get a plan we could afford, it has a $5,000 deductible per year per person, the exclusions are many, and it has a lousy cap.

It sure would be nice if the politicians would all do something about health care and not just use it as meaningless campaign speeches!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Betty Jo,
Wow that seems like a lot for one person to be dealing with. I can relate a little but my "midlife crisis" was more of a mid life re-evaluation~ I found myself shedding all the things that werent really working for me.. the job I was in I hated even though it had great pay and great benefits and I was "good" at it to people looking in~ but it wasnt really "me".

I hope that you can take a minute and take a deep breath and see this as a gift.. maybe it will allow you to go after something that is more suited for you and still can meet the needs you and your family have. For all of us it is easy to focus on the down side and miss the blessings... So I am sending positive thoughts that you will find blessings in this whole thing.. I think set backs are just great opertunities for "do overs"...and really who doesnt need a "do over" every now and again! LOL blessings upon blessing!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

proudnanaof3
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Kim
Denton NC
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  04:40:48 AM  Show Profile
I found myself in a similar situation the first of the year. My husbands insurance decided not to pay for spouses if their job offered insurance. Well as you know daycares insurance is so high if they offer it due to being independent organization instead of corporate. Being use to paying around $10 a month and jump to around $500 put a large dent in my already tight budget. On top of that gas prices rising really hurt and we found ourselves getting further in debt. I had been in childcare for 13 years and loved teaching but was getting burned out. I did a lot of praying and they were finally answered one day when I saw an ad for a librarian in my town. The library was raising money for an addition and a position had opened. Long story short, I now am employed with the county, have paid insurance, and live 1/8 of a mile from work. I often fill in with the children's story time and just finished the summer reading program so my need of teaching and being with children is still there. We are still catching up from months past, but things are getting better.

My advice is to keep praying and watch for signs of His answer, it will come.

I agree with Dana, all of the millions that is spent on campaigns could be put to better use to families in the US. I would take more notice of that instead of all the bashing advertising.

Farmgirl Sister #295

If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  07:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Individual health insurance with our exclusions was almost 1200.00 a month for both of us along with the 5000.00 deductible. To be honest it was more then DH brings home a month. Yesterday I interviewed with a company I was with 2 years ago as a group home manger. I had left do to too many over time hours and lack of steady staffing. So I moved on to a daycare which I did not investigate well enough and the on to a Nanny job. So when I got there to interview I found out they had 3 opening instead of 1 and one of them is so right for me I can hardly stand it. The one I want is looking in on Adults with developmentally delays who live in their own apartments. I would love the variety and the working on my own. Then I only have myself to depend on and I know how I work. They also have 2 openings that are working in the group homes with very high functioning adults (1 home was the one I manged Loved the ladies toooo Death!!!!!). I would not have the responsibilities of management, still get to work with awesome clients and the awesome bennies that the company offers. Hours would be manageable. I can also continue my volunteer work that is so important to me. I got my fingers crossed I get one of the 3. So I'm better then I was the other night. It must have been my low spot and I'm climbing back out of the hole. Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers Sometimes reevaluating and starting a different path is so scary and hard. It seems I need to follow some of my own advise and be more simplistic and enjoy my simple life. I really do have a wonderful life. Thank you all again. for your support I can always count on you!!!!! Love you all so much.

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  08:49:19 AM  Show Profile
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, Betty Jo! Sounds like the right "window" opened up for you with this opportunity.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty Jo:
I'll be praying for something to come your way. I agree with Alee's posting. Keep your head up. Give it up to God. He'll surely show you the way. Keep us posted.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  2:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Well it seems that the heavens have opened and the jobs are flowing down. Last nights paper has a ton of new ones in the area. Resumes are flying out of my house. I did find a interesting ad it went like this
If you can answer it, file it, proof it and e-mail it ...... a pleasant greeting and provide support....... you will soon find yourself indispensable in no time.
I am taking a chance and my cover letter states:
I am the one to get your job done. I can answer it, file it, proof it, and e-mail it. My contagious smile will greet your customers when they call. My old school work ethic will provide support to your agency to keep it running happy and smooth. In no time flat you will find me indispensable too.

The ad is for a receptionist job at a smaller ad agency. I have no experience in the ad world but lots of office experience.I am hoping that it catches someones attention and they ask my for an interview. Or they will think I'm a fruit cake and it will at least make them smile. The ad just made it sound like a fun place to work.

I did have an interview with a company I worked for two years ago and I have another interview on Monday. I'm pretty sure I can't take the job on Monday but I'm going to interview any way. Who knows, the last interview I was on had 2 opening besides the one they had listed. I am find some fun in looking for a job. I hope to have at least 5 interview set up for next week. Please keep your fingers crossed for my.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  3:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Betty Jo- I bet you will find something in no time! I like your reply to that add! They were playful when writing it (or fed up at bad applicants!) and I think your reply shows that you are adaptable, have a sense of humor, and are willing to get things done! Hopefully they will love your resume and decide to snatch you up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
hello Betty Jo, I didn't respond right away but I have been praying for you since first reading your meltdown. I am so happy things are looking up and I have a good feeling that something is just around the corner. You have grit and you have many who love you here, rooting for you all the way. Strength in numbers, that's the farmgirl way...Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Mid Life Crisis Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page