Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Naturally Dyed Yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Naturally Dyed Yarn Next Topic  

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile
I recently ran across an article on how to mordant yarn for a natural dye process. I thought "this sounds intersting"... So I dug out a couple old stock pots, and bought a HUGE skein of 100% cotton yarn and started looking around the house for stuff to make into dye. I am having a ball with this. Its a long process but you really never know what you may get out of it! I gathered field grass the other day, shopped it all up and set it to boiling thinking I'd get this lovely shade of green...well its more yellow, but a very organic yellow. And the red lillies that grow wild along the roadside, donated a beautiful apricot-ish orange color. Blueberries have by far been the most predictable! Right now I've got hibiscus tea and dark red coleus boiling. So far it looks pale pink. Next I'm doing to do coffee, then regular tea. I love it when its dry, I sit in a lawnchair, and roll it into yarn balls. SOmething about that is so calming to me. Anyhow, am I doing this for nothing or do you think I could sell it? Any thoughts on what I could use for dye? Maybe I'll try paprika next! Ooohhhh I could do spices!!! fun! Fun!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  8:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
You can use marigold or dandylions, you can also use koolaid with out the sugar of course. Beets, grape juice, I will try to think of some more. Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  8:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Onion skins are fun to use..the red onions espeically are pretty for dye. I like to use different "weeds" to see what I get. I had a silver dollar eucalyptus tree in my yard about 12 years ago and it was great to dye with..you got a brick red color...very unexpected.
I have a few books about natural dying...I will look and see if there are any other interesting ones like that. I havn't done much dying in awhile...but used to, and I love it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  8:41:13 PM  Show Profile
There is a whole wonderful world of natural dyes - here are some of my fav's.

Black Walnuts, copper pennies, henna, acorns, bachelor buttons, barberries, begonia, birch, black eyed susan,burdock, butternut squash, carrot tops, chamomile, clematis, daffodils, dahlia, daisy, dephinium, elderberry, geranium, goldenrod, hibiscus, hollyhock, lamb's ear, lichens,mint, pansy, peony, petunia, queen anne's lace,rhubarb, rose, safflower, sage, saint-john;s wort, sorrel, sumac, sunflower, tansy, tomato vines, turneric, yarrow, yellow cosmos, zinnia

Hope that gives you some ideas and happy dyeing. If there is anything I can do let me know.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot about the copper pennies..I loved that one too!!!And tansy!! and several of the others were fun experiments. A gal I know in CAlif (who I bought my first angora goat, Gideon, from) had a big chart she had made..all locks of mohair dyed with different natural dyestuff and did a demo thing for homeschoolers and set it up at different guild things.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:06:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn
What kind of mordant are you using? That will make all the difference on wheather it will fade(which most natural dyed things will do) Cotton usually wont take the dyes very well, it has to be a animal fiber.there are several mordants that can be used. all but one is toxic.you have to be careful where you dump the water at.
I myself wouldnt sell any until you have a time to see if its going to fade or hold up well.
Good luck
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  05:46:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm using cream of tartar and alum. ABout 1 1/2 tsp per gallon. So far its holding up well. Copper pennies. Huh, what color is that? Oh, dont tell me, I like to be surprised! thank you for all the wonderful ideas....gotta go! Time to DYE!

PS: Got the rcipe from last months Hobby Farm Home Magazine. Neat stuff.

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)

Edited by - deeredawn on Aug 06 2008 05:47:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:04:13 PM  Show Profile
When I did copper pennies you put some amonia (just the plain cleaning kind) in with them in the dye pot..brings out the color..the pennies look awful after (they are forever my dying pennies..they are black now) but the color was nice...I will let you be surprized by the color.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Okay... I am so excited now! so do I need to dig in my penny jar for REAL copper pennies or can I use the new ones? I wanna do pennies!!!!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Almost forgot! How many pennies? How much ammonia?

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile
How about the water from asparagus and beets?Susan
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile
I did beets and it washed out. It was really pretty water though!! right now I am boiling peach skins and coreopsis.... I'm a nut! Hubby just shakes his head....he is SO not in the loop!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:44:38 PM  Show Profile
a couple handfuls of pennies...a couple cups of ammonia

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  4:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Saffron is a very traditional dye historically used by the ancient people of the British Isles. It yields a very golden yellow. Tumeric and marigold yield dyes in the yellow range too. Lichens yield greens and yellow. Red cabbage with baking soda will give blue and red cabbage with vinegar will give pink to purple.In fact you can often get another entirelly diverent color from a dye plant by changing the pH of the dye bath. A really red red traditionally was only available from cochineal, derived from an insect and strong blue purple from a shelled sea snail found off the coast of Syria- Tyrian purple and it was reserved for royalty. Madder and woad (I have a very funny song about woad) were historically important dye plants as well giving a soft red and dark blue.
There are numerous spinning and weaving resources that can help you. Here's a fun one http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html
It is fun, isn't. Almost addictive. And think of all the colorful knitting you'll be able to do when this winter.
Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  5:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh...if only I could knit or crochet...THIS is why hubby is shaking his head. All I have is little colored yarn balls! I told you all I'm hopeless!! thanks for the lesson though...very interesting. I am an esthetician by trade and I knew of all cosmetic dyes from teaching a class, but never really got into textile dyes. Thats really neat! Now I need red cabbage....and more pennies!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Look for some black hollyhocks. I haven't tried it but they dyed everything they came into contact with. Besides they're really pretty.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  12:14:45 AM  Show Profile
good those are the safest mordants to use.
Let us know about all the colors and what they were from. Some wool yarn would really pick up the color well
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  07:08:54 AM  Show Profile
Dawn,
The craft store might sell a knitting spool on which you can make knitted tubes with a darning needle. The tubes can be sewn together to make hats, hot pads, coasters, or even rugs. You could make your own with a large wooden thread spool and some finishing nails. http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/spool-knit.htm
Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  09:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm... I've seen the looms/spool thingies. The peach skins came out so pretty! Goregeous yellow! Ok, bakc to work for me before I get in trouble!!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  11:29:43 AM  Show Profile
I remember dying wool yarn with my daughter for a fifth grade project, we used onion skins, which yield a beautiful color, of course I bet the red onion skins would be luscious as well....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile
So far I 've got an apricot color, blueish, reddish purple and tan, and yellow. I have them all wound up in small balls and in a big mason jar. NOW WHAT?? Going to getloom this wknd and earn a badge!!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey! Need some pointers on the penny thing. I almost exphisiated (sp??)myself today. Puleeze tell me how!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Naturally Dyed Yarn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page