Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Civil Rights Icon Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  8:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Rosa Parks died today at the age of 92. She was arrested in Dec. 1955 for refusing to give her bus seat to a white man. She is called the mother of the civil rights movement. She was a brave and heroic woman who stood for freedom and liberty and peace and love for all mankind. Thank you Ms. Parks!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  9:22:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my, what a noble woman she was. We all could learn from her example. Sending light for your journey, Rosa.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  08:57:27 AM  Show Profile
we all lost one of the greatest and most noble woman in history. The guts, heart and soul of Rosa Parks is unmatched. She will truly be missed. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Meadowlark Thanks so much for posting this. Mrs. Parks was a courageous woman. I actually met her in Dallas once when she was at a local bookstore to celebrate the release of a book that she had written for school kids. My sister and I took my 2 nieces and 1 nephew to the bookstore on a very cold (for Texas anyway) January day and stood in line outside for what seemed to be hours. The bookstore staff brought hot chocolate out to everyone, and it was lots of fun. We were determined that the children meet Mrs. Parks and understand her great significance in American history.

I am working on a library display in her honor right now.

Connie

(I include the smiles as a celebration of her life.)

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful Connie! What a full and rich career you have had. And to be able to meet one of our true American heroines! She was dazzling in her quiet determination and soft spoken dignity! A true role-model for us all.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Another great hero! Her legacy will never pass away.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  2:11:18 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Yes, Meadowlark, you are absolutely right in saying that I have been very fortunate in that I have had an interesting life and career. I also met another American hero, Cesar Chavez, the founder of the Farm Workers Union, while he was visiting Dallas. He was supposed to stay at my house, but I found out at the last minute that he only ate a macrobiotic diet which I had no idea how to prepare. As a result, he ended up staying with my friend Susan, who also followed a macrobiotic diet.

Right now I am working on (hopefully) scheduling a tour of the Fort Worth Library for the author James Patterson while he is in Fort Worth in November.

And as you know, I just finished a project with Deborah Santana, who was truly one of the kindest and most sensitive people that I have ever met.

When I meet these people, I sincerely hope that I can learn from them and carry their messages on in my life.

But at the end of the day, I think I am the happiest when I go home to the country to my little rundown house with all of my animals.
This is where I find true peace and why I value the Farm Girls so much because we all share this love of the country.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  3:27:27 PM  Show Profile
GOD BLESS SISTER ROSA!!