Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 checking for pregmancy in cow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic checking for pregmancy in cow Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  5:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
has anyone ever tried listening with a stethescope for the calf's heart beat? we thought we might try it the next time we get butter bucket in the catch pen. peace connie in alaska

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  12:49:39 PM  Show Profile
How much do you trust that cow Connie? (he! he! he!)

I really don't know how effective a stethoscope will be in detecting a calf hearbeat-- unless the calf is in the PERFECT spot-- but it might be worth a try! I know there are pregnancy kits you can use to detect if a HORSE is pregnant (think the equine version of EPT), but I'm not sure it will work on cows. You might try some of the livestock supply catalogs (or ask your vet) if such a thing exists. Otherwise, if she hasn't been vet tested for pregnancy (they usually use a portable sonogram device), you'll just have to wait it out. Good luck! And if Butter Bucket (LOVE The name by the way! Too cute!) DOES calf, please post a picture if you can. We'd all LOVE to see it. Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  9:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks tracy, butter bucket is a real booger until you catch her at which time she snuggles up close and never offers to kick or pull away. there is a guy we met at the feed store who will come out to check her for us after the fair is over and he recouperates from being in the animal barn for 9 days with his kids lol. i will certainly post a picture when (being optimistic here lol)she calves. and hopefully that will be before really cold waether sets in here. would i need a heated area for the calf? for how long? to what temp? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  6:21:15 PM  Show Profile
The gestation period for Bovine's is just like humans-- 9 months. Has she ever calved before? Honestly, I'm not a cow expert. The only cow I'VE ever raised was a Holstien steer and he was a NASTY creature!!! But, I would imagine that the concept is the same for calves as it is for goat and sheep babies-- which I DO know about. When might she be "Due?" The best person to ask COW questions of is "Aunt Jenny." She has a lovely Jersey named "Mona." I'm sure she would be MORE than happy to answer any questions you might have, just send her an e-mail. She's a real DOLL! I hope Butter Bucket IS pregnant. I LOVE baby calves and someday soon hope to have a small herd of Dexters-- If I could just sell my husband on the breed!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kelliraeb
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

kelli
Michigan
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Send kelliraeb a Yahoo! Message
I hope she is pregnant, Connie. That would add a nice twist to your ongoing adventure, lol. Best of luck either way.

Kelli
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  8:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
she could be anywhere from 2 months to 8 months if she is pg! narrows it down right? lol. we havent had a chance to try out our theory, it takes hours to catch her and we are trying to get ready for a hunting trip between rains i will keep all of you posted.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  8:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Here we don't need a heated area for the calf..and we get lots of cold and snow..BUT...being in Alaska you might. Mona calved the first time on March 2 and we had snow the next day and off and on for the first month of the calf's life. We have a deep 3 sided shelter made from corrogated metal over a wood frame for Mona's sleeping place. It is bedded deep with straw in winter..not so much right now....she dosn't go in there much when it is hot. If it rains or snows she always goes in though and hangs out in back..it is gosh..at least 15 feet deep so she can get out of the wind and weather. deeper than it is wide..and it is way tall enough for me to walk in ...probably 6 ft ceilings at the low sides..higher in the middle. Her second calf was born in late May 2007 so there wasn't any worry about weather..that was about perfect. The main thing to worry about is the calf not getting chilled when it is first born. Mona has been nice enough to calve in the afternoon..warmest part of the day..both times. This year she is due on Halloween so that will be trickier weather wise. We have at least cool weather by then...freezing at night for sure..but we can have alot of snow by then too..depending on the year. I didn't know Mona's due date her first time either..and it was nerve racking for me..I checked on her hourly..seriously..for months. But I am like that...a wreck during that sort of thing...the man I bought her from knew she was pregnant but not the due date...he thought for sure before Christmas...so since it was March 2, I was really frantic. She did fine and since it isn't your cow's first it will likely go smooth too. Just watch her for signs that she is close.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  12:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks jenny. i am a worry wart and check her at least twice a day even tho i know that she has at least a month (since she isnt getting milk yet and ya cant tell for sure she is pg) to go lol. if she has the baby in september it will be anywhere from freezing to below zero. if it is october it wouldnt be unusual for the temps to be 20-40 below. ya never know here lol. heck this summer we have had to light the fire in the cabin at least weekly and would have liked to light it more than that! our neighbor had a calf in january and no heat but then he is one to not give grain either lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic checking for pregmancy in cow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page