Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Help! My lab puppy keeps pulling out my flowers!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help! My lab puppy keeps pulling out my flowers! Next Topic  

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile
Help, I am trying to sell this house and my lab won't leave my landscaping alone!!! I want to move to my new farm asap! I have sprayed everything with organic pet repellant and it didn't work, I even bought a small fence, that worked until she jumped over it! Help!!!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Everyone I know who own labs all say that same thing. They all say they are just great pets but very stuborn and eat everything in sight. With the exception of one friend who had a very well trained hunting lab and even then not the brightest.

I would reccommend that you just start taking your dog out on a leash. I know that it is convienent to just open the door and let them go but for the sake of selling the house it may be best for a while. After all you do want to get to the farm sooner than later. Once she is there you can let her run all over if you like!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile
I too had a lab that was a "digger"...great dog but she had holes all over my yard! Have you tried Invisible Fence...it is meant to keep deer and rabbits and other "critters" away and it works! IT also STINKS to high heaven....I don't think ANY animal even humans like the smell of it but not sure if it's organic.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  08:55:07 AM  Show Profile
We have a red pointer (golden lab) and he dug half way to China! We had to put him in a kennel while the grass was rooting. Although it kept him cooped up for a good part of the day, we made sure to take him swimming in the river..in the pond, or out for a run each night to spend time with him and let him run free!!! Most dogs dig when they aren't being watched..because they get bored. If they don't have another dog to play with or a human friend, they occupy themselves. I would suggest a temporary kennel to keep him shaded and out of your flowers! Make sure your realtor states that the kennel is temporary so the future buyers don't think that it is permanenet fixture, but they will appreciate the hole free and flowery yard! GOOD LUCK!!!

What an amazing life!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  11:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
what kind of lab do you have? i dont know any way to keep your pup from digging. my black lab, who was extremely smart, never did anything like that. she was the best dog i have ever had! my chocolate lab was a hyperactive chewer but didnt dig. wish i could help you. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile
We put an electric underground dog fence in. It worked fine until a shovel cut the wire, and the digger just hasn't gotten around to splicing and taping yet, then the lab found the transmitter and you know...chewed it up. Sigh. Good dogs though. Mostly. :)

For $150 it may cost a bit, but it pales to the cost of relandscaping or selling your home later rather than sooner. Also, homeowners who don't have dogs won't need it and it is out of sight so they might not mind, and homeowners who may have a dog might enjoy the continued protection of the lovely plants. The transmitter attaches to a collar, so just be sure to leave it with the new owners. :) And On the dog where it won't get chewed. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

gracieinhollow
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

wilma
mchenry KENTUCKY
USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  09:55:46 AM  Show Profile
YOUR LUCK OURS RETRIVED NEBORS HAM OFF THE GRILL!!!!!WHAT YOU NEED IS 2 YEARS, I HAVE HAD 3 AND THEY ALL RETRIVE CHEW AND RETRIVE!!!!!!!AND LOOK AT YOU LIKE I DONE THAT!!!!

www.doubledoorantiques.etsy.com
www.vintagecabinet.etsy.com
www.picturetrail.com/doubledoo
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  3:45:30 PM  Show Profile
try putting hot sauce or cyenne pepper on the flowers. I know I probably spelled that wrong. But it might help if they taste nasty?!!
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  05:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Beverley I was going to suggest the same. My lab would chew on our windowsill & 1 part of wall that we removed the baseboard from & the drywall paper came up. I read to put some hot sauce on there & just dabbed a little. He went back to that spot, got one taste & ran to his water bowl. Never touched that wall again. You may be able to dilute some hot sauce with water & spray it on, but I think the cayenne will also work. I have heard that keeps other critters away too. My BIL grandma used to spray some hot stuff on plants to keep the bugs away. I have seen something like that at the feed store, but not sure what its called. (though this was for bugs, not sure it would be safe for pets). Good luck!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  7:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Dogs love to dig and lay in the cooler dirt during this hot humid time of year. I just recieved my copy of a magazine called Whole Dog Journal. They have an article about this very subject. Let me read it and get back to you. My sister is having the same problem with her year old american bulldog/boxer mix...although, not with the added pressure of getting a house ready for sale.

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  9:19:56 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking, if it is only the garden he is trying to chew up, if the hot sauce and other good ideas do not work, maybe a motion activated Scarecrow will work. It attaches to your hose and gives a strong jolt of water when someone activates the motion detector.

The magazine article said it is hard to train not to do something, especial while you are not there to correct. It said to manage the situation by keeping dog indoors, paving yard in concrete (LOL), or building a place for the dog to dig. They built a large box, filled will sandbox quality sand, buried dog toys, treated them for lying in it. Spray the sand with water every once in a while to keep it damp. They say the problem is at it's worse this time of year, since the dog wants to cool down.

Sue in CT
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:28:26 PM  Show Profile
You can buy the garden spray that is red pepper - capcacion I think it's called. Our pup was tearing the cedar shingles off the side of our house and we sprayed the house and it cured him. Really easy to use!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  04:46:54 AM  Show Profile
LOL! I was re-thinking of my water scarecrow idea. A lab would probably think that was the greastest fun. I doubt that would come close to working.

Sue in CT
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help! My lab puppy keeps pulling out my flowers! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page