Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomatoes not ripening?? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My tomatoes are big and green and are just not ripening...should I pull them off the vine and let them ripen on the windowsill or cut back some of the plants leaves??

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

Farmgirl Sister # 285

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  09:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
if you pull them now you will get the samae type of tomato that you buy in the store which are pretty much flavorless. we have heard that if you cut a few inches off the top and pull off all the blossoms it will make them ripen faster but that this is only done when you are running out of growing time as it will make all of them ripen and not make more tomatoes. we are gonna try this if we have any tomatoes on our plants because of our extremely short growing season. let me know if you try this how it works. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:10:07 AM  Show Profile
I have had this problem too - from asking questions of people who seem like they should know, mother-in-laws, nursery owners, organic gardeners - I have narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities. It could be that it is getting too chilly at night or your tomatoes might be getting too much water. Of course I am no expert and there might be something completely different going on :)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jenn- I am all for giving them some time. They will ripen and soon enough you will be swimming in tomatoes! If you are concerned that they are getting too chilled at night, you could always fill buckets or 2 liter bottles with water. Line them up behind the plant during the day and make a circle (as close to the plant as you can get without damaging stalk or leaves) around the plant at night. The water will solar heat during the day and keep the chill at bay at night.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:22:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Alee on that one. If you are having a particularly wet or cloudy summer or your nights are too cool, it will slow tomatoes way down. Mine still have not even set fruit this year :( Lots of flowers, but our nights have been in the low 40's and several nights in the upper 30's. The wall-o-waters and gallon jugs apparently just aren't enough to keep them warm enough at those temps. I'm putting up tunnel covers this weekend to try to help them along and get at least SOME tomatoes.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile
My tomatoes are doing the very same thing....along with the plant dying and turning brown. Tis a puzzlement..... I have several in a huge clump that should be all perky, juicy, and really, really, red, but alas....as green as grass.

--I am grateful. I have enough.--
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  12:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
We haven't had much rain and it has not been chilly, the only thing I can fathom is that they don't get enough sun because they are planted alongside the garage. It is really sunny there from 2-6 and that is it...

The bottom of the plant is heavy with fruit and the tops are soaring upwards, they are probably about 5 feet tall at this point.

www.sundariyoga.com

Farmgirl Sister # 285
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Patience Jenn, my tomatoes had been green for so long that I didn't think they'd be ripe until Thanksgiving. A week ago they began turning red! They are slowly ripening and I get a big handful of tomatoes every day. It works our perfect for us & nothing is being wasted. My cucumbers are doing great too & we've been eating those for nearly a month now. Hang in there, they'll turn red before you know it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Jenn, I'm sorry to tell you that 4 hours of sun really isn't enough. Tomatoes need at least 8. I hate to suggest spending more money on energy, but maybe you could rig up a grow light or two just above the plants to try to give them the sunlight they are lacking. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a lot of green tomatoes, which there are lots of recipes for those, too. But spaghetti sauce and ketchup won't be possible :( If you pick them to ripen on your windowsill, you'll get some red ones, but they won't be quite as good as vine-ripened. Don't try digging them out to move them to more sun or you'll most likely kill the plants entirely (experience talking here). They are probably too big and too well established to try that now.

I have recipes for green tomato salsa, green tomato bread and fried green tomatoes (my favorite) if you want to try those.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  08:06:50 AM  Show Profile
OK...lack of sun may explain why Jenn's tomatoes won't ripen but mine are in the sun ALL day! So, maybe you should post those green tomato recipes after all...

--I am grateful. I have enough.--
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Well, since we all end up with green tomatoes at the end of the season anyway, I'll post those recipes over in the Kitchen.

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Jenn:
I belong to a website called Dave's Garden. There are alot of people complaining of the same thing, and the answer is....just wait....they will ripen. I have apx 100 plants, it's' so much fun. Sometimes it seems like they ripen over night! Be patient....they will come......

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Just wait!! It will happen & then BOOM!! Tomatoes everywhere!!!
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  08:56:44 AM  Show Profile
My father in law told me that when you have the tomato crop you want, size and numbers, then stop watering so much and the fruit will ripen faster than if you keep watering. It sends a signal to the roots to put the energy up instead of OUT...not sure this year is our first garden and I have HUNDREDS of green tomatoes..hmm fried green tomatoes...

What an amazing life!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile
I have gorgeous tomato plants this year - but except for my cherry tomatoes, all I have is gorgeous plants! The cherries have a lot of green tomatoes on them, but the romas and others are just beautiful plants - some blooms, no tomatoes. I have heard something about pulling leaves off, but I want to make sure what it is before I do it. Anyone heard about pulling leaves off of plants to encourage the tomatoes?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Woohooo my tomatoes are finally ripening!!!!!
Would still love those green tomato recipes...gonna go check the kitchen section

www.sundariyoga.com

Farmgirl Sister # 285
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri-

Strip off the smaller "sucker" leaves. They are using too much energy from the plant. Leave the big ones up top.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile
I just went out and stripped off some of the small leaves and started wondering............. does anyone else love the smell of tomato plants like I do? My hands smell divine after pulling off those leaves!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  6:12:10 PM  Show Profile
OK, I'm weird.LOL

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  6:17:07 PM  Show Profile
No Sherri you are not weird!! It reminds me of my maternal grannies house who always had tomato plants. Love the smell too.. Pure nostalgia
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomatoes not ripening?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page